Oil cooler line routing (F Model)

Hello everyone,

I have about 35 hrs on my new engine and I'm chasing down the culprit of my high oil temps (210 in cruise). I've installed new baffling with the engine, overhauled the oil cooler, new oil lines, removed the new vernatherm to double check operation. I've sealed all of the air gaps in the baffling up top with RTV. CHT's are 330 across the board in cruise with an OAT of 80-85 df at 5500'. I live in Central California :)

I'm now left withone last thing... My oil cooler lines are fire sleeved and run pretty close to my exhaust (under the heat shield). I took a few pictures when I took the engine off and it seems there was some additional insulation around the oil cooler lines near the exhaust. 

Do you guys have any additional insulation on your oil lines? Will additional insulation even make a difference in oil temps? Anyone have any pics of how their oil lines are routed?

Thanks in advance!

there is no reason to fire sleeve the oil cooler lines. Mine are held by Adels pretty low on the firewall and then come along the bottom of the cowl almost touching the cowl flap. 

Did you have the cooler serviced?

-Robert

Edited by RobertGary1

The first thing is to determine if you really have a problem.  Gauge accuracy can be checked by boiling the oil temperature probe in water and comparing it to the gauge reading.

Firesleeve is good for hose life, especially for cloth/rubber hose like Stratoflex 111 or Aeroquip 303.

Which model do you have?

Clarence