Flap problem on my Ovation

I have a flap problem with my 1998 Ovation.

The flaps work fine on the ground, but in the air when I lower the flaps the breaker pops, only on position one not full flaps. The flaps do go down but the breaker pops.

i have installed a new flap motor and breaker but the problem is still there.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Check for rubbing wires especially around the relays.  Check the relay board.  Check the circuit breaker panel.   Had an work done recently?   Some times mechanics put screws through wires.  A VOM is your friend.

I had this exact same problem in my 1997 Encore.  Working with a local mechanic, I replaced both of the flap relays and the limit switches for the TakeOff position. I did not replace the limit switches for full up and down, which are on the screw assembly. Replacing both relays and the limit switches along with careful adjustment of the limit switches fixed the problem. I know that one of the switches was bad, the terminals were loose. The adjustment of the limit switch was poor, putting too much pressure on it. I think this over-pressure damaged the roller and switch. One of the switch terminals was also just a hair-width away from touching the mounting bracket.

I did not have any evidence the relays were bad, but they were inexpensive and I just wanted to ensure the circuit was fixed. Replacing the relays requires soldering skill and a de-soldering tool.

Below are some notes I took at the time.

Larry

#########################################################################################

Flap relays

#########################################################################################

Theory:

For TakeOff (TO) position, both Up and Dn circuits are actuated with cockpit switch.

The system depends on Both of the TO limit switches being CLOSED at the TO position.

Both relays will be energized.

Bottom switch, controlling up relay, trips first when flaps transition from UP to TO.

Alignment is critical

Top switch controls TO position going Down

Bot switch controls TO position going Up

#################################

Relay on plane:

JT1E-DC24V

Alternate, found on Lasar site

JTN1S-PA-F-DC24V

https://www.alliedelec.com/panasonic-jtn1s-pa-f-dc24v/70158673/

The JT1E-DC24V relay has 2 common contact pins, one near the coil and one near the NO and NC contacts.

The alternate relay does not have the common contact pin near the coil pins.

The Mooney circuit board does not have a trace feeding the common contact pin of the alternate relay.

Therefore, a jumper is needed on the board from the common contact pin near the coil pins to the actual 

#################################

take-off limit switch

Honeywell V3-1

https://www.alliedelec.com/honeywell-v3-1/70119063/

roller lever:

Honeywell JV-5

https://www.alliedelec.com/honeywell-jv-5/70120150/

• Like 1

When the flaps are lowered in-flight there is greater current draw due to the extra force imposed by the wind on the flaps and motor. This looks to me like a faulty CB. Try pulling and pushing on the CB ten times to clean the internal contacts. Mild corrosion on the CB contacts create resistance that heat the CB trip element. 

José

Could be the End Travel Switch on the down position is bad and not seeing the travel limit.  If this happens, there is nothing to stop the motor from an over-current situation and pop the breaker.

Rick

• Thanks 1