Engine Mounts: I guess it was time

Noticed recently that my spinner was wearing a slight groove in the top of my Lasar cowl closure. I was already planning on replacing my engine mounts at annual but this discovery’s moved up the time line. Bottom mounts were half their original size. Clearance between the ground and the tip of the prop improved by .75 inches. Kinda mad I waited so long. Can’t wait to see how everything lines up once reassembled but we’re waiting on some gaskets and seals. No shims, hoping we won’t need them.

For others that have been through this, did you need shims? 

4E8CA485-30F0-48C6-9A6E-1A10BDD3A359.jpeg

87661BDA-6C55-41A2-8EB6-D2DFD7EE3C44.jpeg

• Like 1

Hi,  I'm asking a big favor, I was unable to get a copy of stc for the laser cowl mod, my AME in canada would accept just a copy of stc and he would sign it off, I 

bought a complete m20c with no logs and just need this copy, would there be any chance you could send me a copy?  Thanks   Mike in montreal.

20 hours ago, Andy95W said:

Was there room to remove the lower mount bolts without pulling the mount off the firewall?

Yes, barely. Once the mounts were out of position it allowed me to pull the bolt out at a slight angle. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/29/2018 at 4:10 PM, lamont337 said:

For others that have been through this, did you need shims? 

Two shims fell out of the bottom mounts when I replaced mine and I should have put them back in. That's a project for annual this year.

The nose clears, but just barely and three hours of flight later it hasn't moved. I also think it is contributing to a lack of cooling. 

2 hours ago, TX-Champ said:

Did you need to use shims when re-installing the mounts?  Were there any shims in place when you removed the mounts?

None installed before or after. Lowers could use at the small shims but we are happy with the improvement so far. Will consider adding them at annual.

1 hour ago, PilotCoyote said:

Shims can be installed without removing the mounts.. I believe I read a service letter, instruction or bulletin about this...or was it a Don Maxwell article? Can’t remember?

Don Maxwell article here.