AmSafe

aviatoreb

37 minutes ago, RobertGary1 said:

We have no idea. We just put on our lapbelt and its integrated. I don't know what safeguards are in place in my car either.

-Robert

Happily, in your car, if the steering wheel is violently pushed forward by an airbag nothing happens!  :blink:

1 hour ago, Mooneymite said:

Happily, in your car, if the steering wheel is violently pushed forward by an airbag nothing happens!  :blink:

In your car, the airbag is inside the steering wheel, so it pushes the driver back.

Imagine the level of testing the FAA would require for every style of yoke if AmSafe tried to put the airbag there. It would displace my clock, which I really don't want blown into my face, to say nothing of the thousands of tablets in the fleet that are mounted there.

But isn't any shock absorbing material between your chest and the yoke good? How about between your face and the panel? Mike Elliott has been there in a Mooney, without an airbag, and he said on the last page that he'd rather have had one than numerous broken ribs . . . .

Edited by Hank

7 hours ago, MB65E said:

I have had a 182 with the airbags apart for almost a month waiting for amsafe to finish work. The airplane has 450hrs on it. The belts have a 10years overhaul per chapter 5. Sent all belts off for re-cert. One belt was redtagged and said it was BER. Ordered a one new belt and re-cert on the other 3. Ordered the 4 inflator carts (10years Life limit), 6-8 weeks on those components. We are now approaching 5k on that invoice alone.  Lost nearly 2mo of flying. 

Just saying,

-Matt

Another concern is that if you are not satisfied with the seatbelt performance or cost, are we able to remove them and install a normal seatbelt at ease? Or does that constitute significant modification to the plane? 

I had them installed in my first PA46 in 2011.   Cost was about $4K each done during annual when much of the interior is out anyway.  

Annual test thereafter was simple & non-invasive but requires the special Amsafe test set.  An hour of A&P time to comply  

The sensor that makes the decision to fire the bags is bolted to the floor under the seat.  

Have not reached the 10 year overhaul point so no info on that.  

Re false alarms:  

GA planes crash daily.  No Amsafe bags have “popped” due to false triggering.  

So I suggest you worry about higher probability items pertinent to safety of flight.  

Like in-flight meteor strikes, for example. 

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, Jerry 5TJ said:

So I suggest you worry about higher probability items pertinent to safety of flight.  

Gee whiz, Jerry.  No reason to get snarky.  I thought Gus' question was a reasonable one.

1 hour ago, Jerry 5TJ said:

I had them installed in my first PA46 in 2011.   Cost was about $4K each done during annual when much of the interior is out anyway.  

Annual test thereafter was simple & non-invasive but requires the special Amsafe test set.  An hour of A&P time to comply  

The sensor that makes the decision to fire the bags is bolted to the floor under the seat.  

Have not reached the 10 year overhaul point so no info on that.  

Re false alarms:  

GA planes crash daily.  No Amsafe bags have “popped” due to false triggering.  

Meteors strike while sitting on the couch too.

And two people per year from coconuts falling on their heads.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_by_coconut

On 6/29/2018 at 3:46 PM, Hank said:

But isn't any shock absorbing material between your chest and the yoke good? How about between your face and the panel? Mike Elliott has been there in a Mooney, without an airbag, and he said on the last page that he'd rather have had one than numerous broken ribs . . . . 

Spot on Hank.  I know I wish I had them.  Although my injuries were pretty benign the Amsafe would have probably saved me a lot of grief over my facial injuries.  I'll be adding them to my Mooney sooner then later.

Having them prematurely set off is a legitimate concern.  But there are a lot of GA airplanes flying around with Amsafes and to my knowledge none have ever activated and caused an incident/accident.  I know there was one fatality of a Maintenance technician when servicing a belt in an airliner.  That was a horribly sad event.  I don't recall the ultimate cause but I'm sure much has been learned from that incident. 

Cheers,

Dan

On 6/29/2018 at 3:44 PM, Mooneymite said:

Not if the thing deploys during in-flight turbuence....:o

No, I’ve been in turbulence so bad the g1000 displays went in and out of reversion mode the turb was so bad the red button was wiggling and never gone off. 

-Robert

Edited by RobertGary1