Lord Disc Sag

I am working through a puzzling issue with my main gear Lord disc.  My disc were replaced last October.  After replacing and over the next few months the gear started exhibiting a worn state again.  This would be the bulge in the disc, the tower stem protruding up through the middle, and the outer and inner gear doors almost touching.  We then removed them and replaced them with another set of new ones this past April hoping Lord would warranty the October batch.  Lord checked them in their lab and say although under min length they are within spec.  The newest discs are also sagging a bit now with gear doors getting close, stem extending a bit, although this batch is not quite as bad as last October.  Bottom line, I am being asked to cover quite a bit of disc expense with a plane still not looking right.  No controversies here with mechanic or Lord, just trying to determine what could be going on.  BTW, the kick test whereby you jack the plane and push back on the gear to see if there is play is good indicating solid disc, yet still sagging.

Curiously, this all came about the same time I put an MT propeller on that takes 30 lbs off the nose.  CG shift back 1"  Any ideas?

Russ

Perhaps now they’re just cheapening  out on the cost of materials and still get the $109 each for them you just have to buy them more often..sadly that seems to be the way things are going with just about everything these days

Edited by jetdriven

There is a measurement that you are supposed to do to check disc wear at the collar on the "tower stem" that you were talking about.  Its pretty big (like almost an inch or so- maybe @M20Doc can give the exact measurement for the Ovation).

If they're less than the max distance, leave them alone and don't worry about them.  Just re-measure it every Annual inspection and replace them every 8-10 years.