Does anyone have input on new front windscreen? I need a new one installed. Any tips are appreciated are appreciated if I need to do it myself. 

Thanks

Jim

Technically you suppose to have an A&P install the front windshield or at lest supervise you in changing it yourself.  Side windows are at the discretion and ability of the owner. 

I believe there is a thread that talked about changing the the side windows and one on changing an older model to the 201 windshield.  I do know there is a lot of fitting and trimming involved.

I did all new 1/4” Solar Grey glass from GLAP about 4 years ago.  Product was very nice and required minor fitting. 

The worst part of the windscreen was getting it out and scraping all the old adhesive off the frame.  I worked with my IA as much as I could but it still took about 30 hours for all the glass start to finish.  That does not include me removing and reinstalling the interior to access the side glass. We found that a Dremel set up in a router table was the best and most accurate way to remove any excess material.  Certainly faster than a file or sander and no possibility of cracking.

It is correct that you must have a sign-off for the windscreen.  Side glass you can do yourself.

Correct.  Plan for between 30 and 40 hours.  Plan to help if you want, but do not rush the job.  It's a chore to get the thing out of the frame without bending aircraft skin around it...especially around the upper portion.  I know on the Ovation, there's the lower piece that wraps around from left to right that gets removed.  It needs painting after it gets riveted back to the airframe, so plan for some paint and airbrushing.  Not a fun job overall...

I did the windshield on my airplane with supervision from an IA of course. We did go with the 1/4” solar gray which I highly recommend. If you had a bird at low level going 200 miles an hour indicated it just might make a difference. However, the channel in the airplane is 3/16 of an inch and it absolutely will not fit in less you Mill it down but here’s the thing you have to mill a step around the entire inside edge of the windshield all the way around.  The most precise way to do that is drum sander on a Dremel and Mark with a sharpie, sand it down and then once you get the thickness right keep pushing that step forward until the windshield barely fits in the frame and then stop. If you go past the windshield frame you can see white from the outside. It took about three good days and then we put it together plus PRC and riveted together with number four CherryMax rivets And it looks factory, Well almost factory you can see the holes in the cherry Max rivets. If you really want to get technical you can fill the stem of the CherryMax rivet with Epoxy and then when you paint over that nobody can tell it’s been changed., I’d say 24 hours did it and we took no shortcuts or chances. The 3/16 windshield can be done I would say in about 6 to 8 hours. Drill the retainer off, pull the windshield out, take a piece of plexiglass clean out the channel, test fit it all,  PRC the new glass in,  Cleco it up and then rivet it back down.  

Edited by jetdriven
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

231SM,

Have you started the windscreen replacement?  I'm interested in riveting needed to put all the metal back in place.  All the same size rivets?  Can you over-squeeze and cause dimpling?  Also, how did you remove the old adhesive?  Got any pictures?

Thanks

On my K model, all the rivets on the aluminum strip under the windscreen were the same size, and I had no problem with dimpling.

Removing the old adhesive is another story. Pieces of plexiglass about 1/4 inch thick, about an inch and a half wide, 5 inches long, and ground off to a bevel will work, but it is still a LOT of work.

2 hours ago, 231MJ said:

231SM,

Have you started the windscreen replacement?  I'm interested in riveting needed to put all the metal back in place.  All the same size rivets?  Can you over-squeeze and cause dimpling?  Also, how did you remove the old adhesive?  Got any pictures?

Thanks

If you go CherryMax rivets like @jetdriven suggested, there won't be any risk of oversqueeze.

Sorry, the phrase 'over-squeeze' just reminded me of this.  I remember old TV commercials, it's a non-marketable skill :D

Aren’t the windshields in an E model held in with screws and nuts.  The ones I’ve changed to 201 style required drilling and countersinking the windshield to accept the dimple countersunk skins,  plus the addition of additional ones across the top.

Clarence

disreguard, I see the poster used to own an E model now a K model.

Edited by M20Doc

Thanks Don, encouraging.  I might not screw this up.  I suspect getting the old adhesive out is 80% of the job.  

JLW314, you have to admit that "over squeeze" was a good description of the potential problem.  Thanks for the funny u-tube.  That led to Jerry Seinfeld and Obama in a funny episode of comedians and cars getting coffee.  Really good.

August

• Haha 1