When FBO's become Jet Centers......Denton TX

Mark89114

I fly into North Texas a reasonably amount and my friend is convenient to Addison but I talk him into coming to Denton TX to pick me up.

Fees were reasonable and gas was reasonable.  However, when it changed from USA aviation or something like that and became a USA Jet center, they now have a $28 overnite fee and a $60 handling fee.  The other FBO on the field is now gone.  I would have been better going to Addison quite honestly if I would have figured in the convenience factor.  I argued about the handling fee and they didn't charge that, but needless to say I wasn't happy about the overnite fees which I think are ridiculous for an out of the way airport.  Rant over.

21 minutes ago, Mark89114 said:

I fly into North Texas a reasonably amount and my friend is convenient to Addison but I talk him into coming to Denton TX to pick me up.

Fees were reasonable and gas was reasonable.  However, when it changed from USA aviation or something like that and became a USA Jet center, they now have a $28 overnite fee and a $60 handling fee.  The other FBO on the field is now gone.  I would have been better going to Addison quite honestly if I would have figured in the convenience factor.  I argued about the handling fee and they didn't charge that, but needless to say I wasn't happy about the overnite fees which I think are ridiculous for an out of the way airport.  Rant over.

I really like that AOPA is trying to tackle this issue - by shining light on it, if nothing else.  You can report price gouging on their online form if you're so inclined.

I had reason to fly into Addison recently (had an event within 5 miles of the airport), but decided against it - eight bucks for 100LL and suddenly a $40 Uber ride from McKinney sounded cheap.  Sounds like Denton is getting proud of their ramp, but $4.26 for SS still isn't bad (assuming they waive fees with fuel purchase).  As long as Addison can charge whatever they want, there's no real incentive for the farther-out airports to discount.

I would suspect that McKinney (TKI) is likely to be more reasonable, and about the same distance from Addison. Or come around to the south side of Dallas to Dallas Executive (RBD) which I know is much more reasonable.