Nice opportunity for a Bravo owner!

KSMooniac

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2018 at 9:32 AM, Jetlag said:

Not sure how long it will take them to offer it to the market, but certification will be done when I get my plane back. Right now my plane is in the experimental category. On return to me, I get my plane back in the Normal certified category. So they either get their GFC500 certified or they have to reinstall the King 150. They can't give me back the plane in experimental category with non-certified equipment. I would imagine the GFC500 will be available as soon as they get with their marketing department. It will be official when I fly away from Kansas with my plane as far as the FAA is concerned the GFC500 is approved for long body Mooneys. I'll have a good report on everything for the flight home. I have to go from Kansas City to Portland, OR at the end of December. I'm sure I will run into some weather and really get to test the system along the way.

Any updates?

• 2 weeks later...

Any updates on how the certification is coming? Looking at the flight aware flight times, it looks like they've flown it more than the 35 hours. looks to be around 40 hours, and they're nearly 2 months overdue. If it was my aircraft, I'd start be a tad bit irritated by now.

• 2 weeks later...

Garmin is all done. They completed the project in February about two months behind schedule. I was planning on picking up in December and then January but it wasn't ready yet. This month I wanted to get it but the time frame I had available it snowed all week in the SW Washington area where I base it.  The one week a year it snows in Portland and Seattle. I could have got it home but I didn't want to risk being stuck in a hotel somewhere for a couple days on the way home and trying to find a heated hangar to put it in overnight. I had been planning on doing the flight in one day. Now my plan is to pick up the Bravo the last week of March and fly to the Grand Canyon for a vacation. I will be able to put 15-20 hours on it in March and give a report. Hopefully, everything is good to go with all the testing they did. 

• Like 8

9 hours ago, Jetlag said:

Garmin is all done. They completed the project in February about two months behind schedule. I was planning on picking up in December and then January but it wasn't ready yet. This month I wanted to get it but the time frame I had available it snowed all week in the SW Washington area where I base it.  The one week a year it snows in Portland and Seattle. I could have got it home but I didn't want to risk being stuck in a hotel somewhere for a couple days on the way home and trying to find a heated hangar to put it in overnight. I had been planning on doing the flight in one day. Now my plan is to pick up the Bravo the last week of March and fly to the Grand Canyon for a vacation. I will be able to put 15-20 hours on it in March and give a report. Hopefully, everything is good to go with all the testing they did. 

Congratulations!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Finally got my Bravo back from Garmin. I picked it up last Friday and have put about 10 hours on it so far. I’m really enjoying the GFC 500. It is very smooth. It doesn’t wander back and forth when intercepting or making turns. The level offs are very smooth. I like that I can adjust the altimeter setting and the autopilot gently captures the new altitude without having to re-engage v/s mode. The yaw damper is great.  Great in turbulence and no need to use the rudder trim anymore for climbs and descents on the autopilot.  Airspeed climbs and descents work ok but not in turbulence, the airplane is too light and make rather aggressive pitch changes to airspeed fluctuations  I haven’t had a chance to fly any approaches yet. Maybe this weekend. Overall I think the GFC 500 is much better and easier to use than the KFC 150. 

wY6qrWc%TwWCHqBdLkR1Xg.jpg

• Like 4

Andy, I'd also like to see  some pictures of the back servo installation.  Even though it took 7 months you did well in that I can't find anyone to do the installation for a reasonable price,  All over 30K so far for the 4 servo installation.

I'll get some pictures of the installation tomorrow and fly an ILS to see how smooth the intercept is. I think the YD is a must if you install the GFC 500. I flew through a bunch of build-ups and rain on the way home from Garmin. My wife is used to the KFC 150 and when she saw we were going through the tops of clouds she went into her brace position getting ready for the yaw and rough ride. Came out the other side and she said oh not to bad. So the nervous flier approves of the new autopilot!

The only complaint so far in the design is when you engage a function the lighted arrow above the function lights up.  It would be easier if the button itself lit up to indicate it is active. That makes me look twice to make sure I pushed the right button and verify on the PFD.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LANCECASPER said:

Bonanza owners complained loudly enough and got Garmin to add Bonanza to the list of the GFC500 certifications in progress. Maybe if enough long body Mooney owners complain loudly enough Garmin will add them to the GFC600 list.

I think it would be better to certify the gfc500 for flight into known icing. the gfc600 does everything the 500 does with a g5 or a g3x.

• Like 1