Instrument Rating during the Summer

Come to AZ...fly in the morning and do afternoon work in the Redbird simulator.  You can get it done in 3 weeks no problem.  PM me and I'll set you up.  Hotels much cheaper in the summer here for good reason.  But doubtful you'll get any actual that's flyable in a single!

Go for it dude! If you're willing to go anywhere, go someplace that isn't scorching hot and that has low incidence of summer T-storms. 

So, NorCal, Maine, etc...

Depending on how you fly now and your proficiency at present under the hood, you can do it in 3 weeks.

Especially if you fly everyday. By then end, you'll be the best you'll ever be...that's for sure! 

On 6/27/2018 at 3:01 PM, N201MKTurbo said:

Around here this is the worst time of the year to do it. You have to do it between 5:00 AM and 9:00 AM or it is just miserable.

Well, that is true pretty much everywhere.  Temps may not be as much of a problem as in AZ, but low level bumps (at approach altitude) are constant and can be pretty vigorous.  Makes it very difficult when your fingers are trying to fly around the panel and get all the parts of the upcoming approach entered in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jlunseth said:

Well, that is true pretty much everywhere.  Temps may not be as much of a problem as in AZ, but low level bumps (at approach altitude) are constant and can be pretty vigorous.  Makes it very difficult when your fingers are trying to fly around the panel and get all the parts of the upcoming approach entered in.

But that's good practice! Flying in the clouds is often bumpy.

• Like 1

I won't argue with that.  You are going to have to do it sooner or later.  But it gets old after awhile, and not particularly helpful when one is first learning instrument skills and buttonology.  Make a move to change frequencies and hit a Comm button 6" higher instead.  

4 hours ago, jlunseth said:

I won't argue with that.  You are going to have to do it sooner or later.  But it gets old after awhile, and not particularly helpful when one is first learning instrument skills and buttonology.  Make a move to change frequencies and hit a Comm button 6" higher instead.  

Kinda like being a student pilot and starting with crosswind landings.

• Like 1