Recommended Posts

No one has mentioned proximity to kids/grandkids.

I think that's referred to as "roots", or is that pronounced "ruts"?  :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

*Members that donate $10 or more do not see advertisements*

Just now, Mooneymite said:

No one has mentioned proximity to kids/grandkids.

I think that's referred to as "roots", or is that pronounced "ruts"?  :rolleyes:

This is definitely a major consideration, but how does one weigh the option? I have a friend that lives in a very cold northern state who would love to spend his winters down here in FLA. When I ask him why he and his wife insist on staying up there, the response is always that they want to be near the grandson. Now not being a grandparent I don't have a point of reference, but is it worth the sacrifice of having to put up with short, cold snowy wintry days for months on end?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Mooneymite said:

No one has mentioned proximity to kids/grandkids.

I think that's referred to as "roots", or is that pronounced "ruts"?  :rolleyes:

If you retire in a nice place, with a great climate, and lots of recreation opportunities, the kids will come to you.  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, glafaille said:

If you retire in a nice place, with a great climate, and lots of recreation opportunities, the kids will come to you.  

Ha!  While absolutely true, it is a "Grandpa viewpoint".  Grandmas usually want to be involved in day to day life, not just vacation.

Ask me how I know that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, flyboy0681 said:

This is definitely a major consideration, but how does one weigh the option? I have a friend that lives in a very cold northern state who would love to spend his winters down here in FLA. When I ask him why he and his wife insist on staying up there, the response is always that they want to be near the grandson. Now not being a grandparent I don't have a point of reference, but is it worth the sacrifice of having to put up with short, cold snowy wintry days for months on end?

I think this is where the 'proximity to a major airport' on the original poster's list comes in. Our daughter and grandson live on the upper west side of Manhattan and our son on the upper east. Short trip via Juno to LGA and ILM has multiple nonstop daily flights there. Then there is Wrightsville Beach which will draw them in our direction when they want to get away from the madness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our daughter still has another 4 years of uni time so not sure where in this world she will settle and wifey will want to be near, and not airline near, If we  are Mooney near I would also have to go every time she wants to visit. Call me selfish but I know that’s not gonna work for me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With that in mind, it sounds like your wife and daughter will decide the location for your retirement.  Sounds like you have a losing hand.  It’s a waste of time to consider where you would like to live, they will decide for you.

Young folks today are very mobile.  Will you be following your daughter all around the country when she moves?  I have a friend that retired and was happy in Arizona, daughter lived in hot and humid East Texas and convinced Dad and Mom to relocate to the area.  2 years after moving, daughter accepted a job in Arizona and split, leaving Dad and Mom “high and dry” or rather “low and moist”.  They have decided to stop chasing the daughter and are staying put despite their preference for Arizona.  Just too much hassle to move again.

If you are forced to live in a place you don’t like for “wifey” and daughter, you may have significant power in deciding the configuration of your retirement facilities as you are the one giving up so much for them.  Airport property, hangar, ownership, man cave, airplane upgrades, etc. are all on the table if you play it right.

 

 

Edited by glafaille

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, glafaille said:

With that in mind, it sounds like your wife and daughter will decide the location for your retirement.  Sounds like you have a losing hand.  It’s a waste of time to consider where you would like to live, they will decide for you.

Young folks today are very mobile.  Will you be following your daughter all around the country when she moves?  I have a friend that retired and was happy in Arizona, daughter lived in hot and humid East Texas and convinced Dad and Mom to relocate to the area.  2 years after moving, daughter accepted a job in Arizona and split, leaving Dad and Mom “high and dry” or rather “low and moist”.  They have decided to stop chasing the daughter and are staying put despite their preference for Arizona.  Just too much hassle to move again.

If you are forced to live in a place you don’t like for “wifey” and daughter, you may have significant power in deciding the configuration of your retirement facilities as you are the one giving up so much for them.  Airport property, hangar, ownership, man cave, airplane upgrades, etc. are all on the table if you play it right.

 

 

Nope, wife wont move without me checking out the place in advance(her choice ). When I approve then We will go together for her inspection. So I get the first look, if I say no good, its out!!! We would buy a place well in advance of retirement if we find the location we want. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lyons Landing Airpark, 5GA2, is a 3,000 foot grass strip about 25 miles west of the Atlanta airport.  Great, tight knit community of pilots.  Most fly for the airlines or are retired.  Lots of interesting planes, including two Mooney’s, Nanchaing, Chipmunk, Ziln, RVs, c-185, etc. There aren’t any homes for sale at the moment but there is a hangar with an apartment that has a nice lot for building.  We moved here to be close to one set of Grandkids and the Mooney gets us quickly two the other set in Florida.  Lee

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, laytonl said:

Lyons Landing Airpark, 5GA2, is a 3,000 foot grass strip about 25 miles west of the Atlanta airport.  Great, tight knit community of pilots.  Most fly for the airlines or are retired.  Lots of interesting planes, including two Mooney’s, Nanchaing, Chipmunk, Ziln, RVs, c-185, etc. There aren’t any homes for sale at the moment but there is a hangar with an apartment that has a nice lot for building.  We moved here to be close to one set of Grandkids and the Mooney gets us quickly two the other set in Florida.  Lee

I will be looking Around Georgia in august, going to visit a friend in southern North Carolina’s mountains not sure if its by moony or by bike . I think northern GA, NC, SC have some of the best motorcycle roads in the US

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have lived in Florida for the past thirty four years. For the first twenty nine of those years my wife campaigned for us to move. Then the first grandchild was born. I’m afraid that I am here for the duration.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/6/2018 at 5:35 PM, 13scrappy said:

I am less than 2 years from retirement and looking for a more perfect place than my current home of Tucson.  I would only add the requirement of world class medical facilities within an hour to my list and south or southwest instead of southeast.  Tucson already fits the criteria pretty well, but for some reason I have a crazy idea that I would like to try living close to a large lake, river or stream.  

 

An hour by car or plane?  We will retire to Grassy Meadows Sky Ranch (UT47) in a few years. Nice balance of desert and mountains.  Good hospitals in St. George (20 miles) and Salt Lake and Las Vegas are an hour by plane.  20 minutes from Zion N.P.  Great mountain biking and hiking nearby. Sunny about 300 days a year, but also cooler than southern Arizona. Don't have a large lake nearby but Lake Powell and Meade are not too far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will take a look at UT47.  Thanks for the info.  I love Lake Powell and Utah so it could be a good option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After Florence and Michael I think I will stay with retiring in the Southwest.   I hope everyone is OK after the last two storms.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am many years away from retirement...if ever...but I often research places where I think the best weather would be.  I think Alpine TX is the winner...

For the original poster: Big Bend is nearby, dirt cheap real estate, small airport in town, I would assume friendly people...they are everywhere, university in the town, best weather maybe in the country...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I am many years away from retirement...if ever...but I often research places where I think the best weather would be.  I think Alpine TX is the winner...
For the original poster: Big Bend is nearby, dirt cheap real estate, small airport in town, I would assume friendly people...they are everywhere, university in the town, best weather maybe in the country...


Unfortunately the world evolves. Places I thought would be a great place to retire, now are armpits.

I met a retired Army officer who was in his early 50s and was traveling around the country in a 5th wheel RV. He told me that he and his wife would move from location to location, stay a couple of months, get assimilated into the community and then move on. He said they took notes on the locations and then planned just before they knew they were too old to continue traveling, pick one of them as their final retirement community. I thought that was a unique approach.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The question often comes down to our preference between "places, or faces".  Do we prefer a place, or faces we love?

Lucky the man who has both!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now