Retirement location

On 6/27/2018 at 12:17 PM, HRM said:

Wilmington, NC meets all that. Wifey and I will be moving there in about a year and a half. Add to your list great beach access and offshore diving.

We have friends who live in Leland. Really nice area!

23 hours ago, Stetson20 said:

We have friends who live in Leland. Really nice area!

That said, aviation support sucks! ILM--$800a month hangar rent and two year waiting list!!!

Not looking forward to that part. North Carolina--First in Aviation--what a joke.

• Like 1

My wife and I decided on Sevierville TN, and are building a hangar on the airport there (KGKT). Lots of housing choices within 5-10 minutes of the airport to suit just about every budget. Moderate climate in the Smokey Mountains, although possibly a bit on the warm/moist side in summer. As long as you don't need an ocean beach at hand and you're not a big city person its a pretty good choice. Bonus is all of our kids already like to vacation there so they will have a free place to stay and we'll get to see the grandkids regularly! 

Cheers,
Rick

• Like 4

On 10/1/2019 at 10:40 PM, HRM said:

That said, aviation support sucks! ILM--$800a month hangar rent and two year waiting list!!!

Not looking forward to that part. North Carolina--First in Aviation--what a joke.

Harley, have you confirmed what you've learned about hangars with @bradp? He's based at KILM. 

(I too have a very nice $250 hangar in NC... KMRN.)

24 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

Harley, have you confirmed what you've learned about hangars with @bradp? He's based at KILM. 

(I too have a very nice $250 hangar in NC... KMRN.)

I think Brad is lining it...I can't go there. They have beaucoup tie-downs.

Hey all. Some of the hangars on the field at ILM are run by the FBO (recently changed management - used to be $550 for a T, they can pretty much charge what they want). Almost no supply all demand.  The other hangars are all privately owned or sublet arrangements (I’m currently in a sublet).  Southport is not much better - supply is not there and the waiting list is several years on.  I believe I’m still on it and haven’t moved one position in three years.   Next closest airports are 45-60 min up the road and one of them floods pretty consistently.  It’s not an overall rosy outlook for GA.  

My hangar in Pittsburgh was $225/month, three years old, electric was $10, and it had an office.  

30 minutes ago, bradp said:

Hey all. Some of the hangars on the field at ILM are run by the FBO (recently changed management - used to be $550 for a T, they can pretty much charge what they want). Almost no supply all demand.  The other hangars are all privately owned or sublet arrangements (I’m currently in a sublet).  Southport is not much better - supply is not there and the waiting list is several years on.  I believe I’m still on it and haven’t moved one position in three years.   Next closest airports are 45-60 min up the road and one of them floods pretty consistently.  It’s not an overall rosy outlook for GA.  

My hangar in Pittsburgh was $225/month, three years old, electric was $10, and it had an office.  

Yep. I am now thinking about building a mini-hangar home in Burgaw. Just getting desperate, but the mortgage would be my current lot rent here at KBPT!

On 10/6/2019 at 9:22 PM, Junkman said:

My wife and I decided on Sevierville TN, and are building a hangar on the airport there (KGKT). Lots of housing choices within 5-10 minutes of the airport to suit just about every budget. Moderate climate in the Smokey Mountains, although possibly a bit on the warm/moist side in summer. As long as you don't need an ocean beach at hand and you're not a big city person its a pretty good choice. Bonus is all of our kids already like to vacation there so they will have a free place to stay and we'll get to see the grandkids regularly! 

Cheers,
Rick

Rick, I would like to hear more about why you made that choice. sure is a nice area.

jeff 

@Shiny moose Jeff, give me a call at (314) 283-5718. I'd be happy to discuss, a conversation would be a much better way to make sure I'm getting you the info you're looking for. Leave me a message with a call-back number if I don't pick up, that's my mobile number and I screen my calls.

Cheers,
Rick

My Dad bought a house in Southwest MO. MO80 is the airport ID. About 45min east of Springfield MO. They just remodeled. He’s helping the owner of the 160 acres build another house and hangar to sell. It’s almost finished. There are 8 additional lots still for sale. 
2500’ grass. C180, 41 Taylorcraft, and a Sonex (under construction) are all at the field. I might even buy a lot one day. It’s smooth enough for my Mooney. 
-Matt

AC9C424E-001F-424C-B417-8F3814A83F9D.jpeg

AD9E88E8-5031-4CDA-AF63-2863C5691B88.jpeg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MB65E said:

My Dad bought a house in Southwest MO. MO80 is the airport ID. About 45min east of Springfield MO. They just remodeled. He’s helping the owner of the 160 acres build another house and hangar to sell. It’s almost finished. There are 8 additional lots still for sale. 
2500’ grass. C180, 41 Taylorcraft, and a Sonex (under construction) are all at the field. I might even buy a lot one day. It’s smooth enough for my Mooney. 
-Matt

AC9C424E-001F-424C-B417-8F3814A83F9D.jpeg

AD9E88E8-5031-4CDA-AF63-2863C5691B88.jpeg

Looks like a nice place, Maybe I go check that out, Thanks for the info

On 10/6/2019 at 9:22 PM, Junkman said:

Cheers,
Rick

Rick, I’d like to make KGKT one of our routine vacation destinations with a plane.  I didn’t know you could get a lot to build there.  That’s awesome!  I want to hear some basic details about that too.  I’d also like to hear thoughts on flying in and out of there.  We are currently living 40 miles west of Chicago and we usually drive down there every summer.  Flying with two kids would be a much better/shorter trip.  

2 hours ago, Nick Pilotte said:

Rick, I’d like to make KGKT one of our routine vacation destinations with a plane.  I didn’t know you could get a lot to build there.  

KGKT has a land lease arrangement where they will give you a 30 year lease for land on which you build a hangar. The annual lease cost is based on the size of the hangar you build and is quite reasonable, something like $3-$5 per square foot per year, adjusted for inflation each year. My annual lease for a 60x60 hangar will start at less than $2K per year. At the end of the 30 year lease period, the ownership of the hangar transfers to the airport and the current owner is given first right of refusal of continuing the lease, albeit at a substantially higher price. Its designed to build the infrastructure of the airport at no cost to the county, and is geared more toward businesses rather than individuals.

Amortizing construction and lease costs over the 30 years, you are essentially paying up front to lease the exact hangar facility you want, per your own specifications and design, for substantially less than what you would pay to lease an existing hangar of the same size but not necessarily configured as you would like. Why this may appeal to you as an individual is that all of the hangars currently on the airport are occupied, and the waiting list doesn't move much. You also have the right to sell the hangar and transfer the land lease any time prior to the termination of the 30 year land lease. Glennie and I are of an age where we expect to only need the hangar for 15-20 years, so we'll recoup a portion of our investment through sale or sublet and further reduce the effective monthly amortized cost of having exactly what we want.

Having said all that, the county IS planning some major improvements to the airport, and that will most likely include construction of more t-hangars for lease. I'll know more after our face-to-face with the airport manager next month.

Cheers,
Rick

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Wonders will never cease, but six months ago wifey said "Get on Zillow and check out this house!" I did and what struck me first about it was the ginormous hangar. She had decided that it was OK to have one in the backyard, along with a runway (03NC), given that she fell in love with the house. We got 'stuck' in Wilmington at the start of the COVID pandemic during our move, but it turned out fine since we got almost everything there. The area is just fantastic, the weather exceptional, beaches beautiful and access to everything that a big city has without the big city is great. It really is becoming a retirement destination so there is a lot of local competition for retiree's money. One disclaimer, hurricanes, but ya takes the bad with the good.

1930842140_SunriseoverPilotsRidge.thumb.JPG.02354a737cab1d94a5a6dae6becd0a9e.JPG

• Like 1

On 5/10/2020 at 12:01 PM, HRM said:

Wonders will never cease, but six months ago wifey said "Get on Zillow and check out this house!" I did and what struck me first about it was the ginormous hangar. She had decided that it was OK to have one in the backyard, along with a runway (03NC), given that she fell in love with the house.

If things go well, I'll once again be visiting N21 this summer. May have to give you a yell. Sure, it's grass, but it's longer than the paved fields I've been based at most of my ownership (3500', 40 msl).

11 hours ago, Hank said:

If things go well, I'll once again be visiting N21 this summer. May have to give you a yell. Sure, it's grass, but it's longer than the paved fields I've been based at most of my ownership (3500', 40 msl).

You are cleared for either 9 or 27, check the sock.

270443684_FourThings.thumb.jpg.d61042e9de2af4f22a3f6c29da5f9d9e.jpg

On 10/9/2018 at 5:02 PM, TTaylor said:

An hour by car or plane?  We will retire to Grassy Meadows Sky Ranch (UT47) in a few years. Nice balance of desert and mountains.  Good hospitals in St. George (20 miles) and Salt Lake and Las Vegas are an hour by plane.  20 minutes from Zion N.P.  Great mountain biking and hiking nearby. Sunny about 300 days a year, but also cooler than southern Arizona. Don't have a large lake nearby but Lake Powell and Meade are not too far.

St George Utah has a lot going for it not only the weather. BIG hospital complex, close to LAS (@90 mins if you drive, 30=40 if you fly) Some of the greatest outdoor activities in the world. Fishing, hunting, hiking, skiing near by,  ORVs, you name it its there. 3 airlines fly out of SGU (well they did, we'll see) with jet service. Lake Powell may be the best fishing lake in the country (no limit stripper and walleye fishing, 100 fish days on stripper are common up to 5-7 lbs) small mouth bass by the thousands, catfish, sunfish. houseboats, ski boats etc etc.  But again the weather, Ya it gets hot in the summer but the humidity is in single digits, Dry as a popcorn f&^t. Virtually no snow in the winter in fact 40% of the new homes being built in SG are for snowbirds escaping the winter up north. Clear sunny days rule the vast majority of the time. They even have a Costco!

• Like 1