Wow that Mooney zoom!

2 minutes ago, ragedracer1977 said:

I had 60kts on him either way.  On substantially the same engine and fuel burn

My C burns 9 gph block time for ~147 knots. The Cessna I learned in, with O-320, burned 7 gph for a whopping 100-105 knots.

In the end, I make the same flight in 30% less time (the time savings are greater as headwinds appear), on 10% less fuel . . . .

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ragedracer1977 said:

Shush you, lol.  He went that way because he was afraid of the Phoenix class B, I kid you not.  Around he told ATC he was turning to Blythe so he could go direct DVT and avoid the class B. 

Since there's an on-field brewery at Havasu I bet he stopped for a beer and then came home.  ;)

I like how he jiggled through the SATR if he was avoiding class B.

Cessna pilot just love to fly, so they fly slower aircraft os they can take that much longer to get there.

I have to admit, I was pretty jazzed the first time I blew by a Skyhawk.  And I'm always amazed at the prices they fetch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steingar said:

Cessna pilot just love to fly, so they fly slower aircraft os they can take that much longer to get there.

I have to admit, I was pretty jazzed the first time I blew by a Skyhawk.  And I'm always amazed at the prices they fetch.

Slow, underpowered, don't carry much.   What's not to like?  ;)

• Haha 1

If I put myself in their position I would have to say that they get to enjoy being in the air longer for each trip.  So there is that, :)  I love flying but I also like to get places faster than I can in my car!  That being said, there were a few days when it was raining a lot and I wished I had the cover of the high wing while loading and unloading, but that was a fleeting moment and I wouldn't trade the looks, the speed, of the efficiency of a Mooney for any other plane!  :) 

I remember a flight to the airport at Jamestown, NY. My buddy (Uncle Sonny to my daughter) flew his 172 down from Buffalo and I flew over from my airport near Rochester to meet him for lunch. I had my 4 year old daughter and wife on board.

After lunch, my buddy departs first and we depart a couple of minutes later. I caught up to him fairly quickly and as I was passing him, my daughter says over the intercom “why is Uncle Sonny flying backwards?” I look over and sure enough, the optical illusion really made it look like he was flying backwards. To this day, we get a chuckle out of that flight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, steingar said:

We were flying home from the inlaws one time, into serious headwinds. Had to climb above the frozen cloud tops crossing the Appalachians; at 10,000 msl, I was indicating 142mph, and my groundspeed was 68 knots. My wife looked at me and said, "Sure glad we arent' in a Cessna!" I almost hurt myself laughing!!

For the record, that trip was 2.2 hours outbound, and 4:45 on the return leg. We were both glad to stand up after landing! And I had 11 gallons left [started full, with 52 gal onboard].

1 hour ago, Hank said:

We were flying home from the inlaws one time, into serious headwinds. Had to climb above the frozen cloud tops crossing the Appalachians; at 10,000 msl, I was indicating 142mph, and my groundspeed was 68 knots. My wife looked at me and said, "Sure glad we arent' in a Cessna!" I almost hurt myself laughing!!

For the record, that trip was 2.2 hours outbound, and 4:45 on the return leg. We were both glad to stand up after landing! And I had 11 gallons left [started full, with 52 gal onboard].

For those kind of winds I either get low of sit them out.

3 hours ago, steingar said:

For those kind of winds I either get low of sit them out.

I flew across NC at 4000, but had to climb to clear the hills. Then climb some more to avoid freezing cloud tops. Once clear, i went back down and saw ground speed eventually reach 115 knots. We'd already extended our stay to Monday due to low level icing in WV. At some point, you gotta go home . . . . which is where we were heading . . . .

I took off from KSQL to KVGT when I first got my Rocket. A Comanche took off at the same time, also bound for VGT. I was surprised when I landed that they had just arrived at the same time so I pull up our flights on FlightAware. They went direct across the Sierra Nevadas. I took the cautious route to the south and traveled 160 miles further than the Comanche in the same 2.5 hours and I was only flying in the teens. 

• Like 1

On 6/27/2018 at 9:48 AM, Bike_rider said:

If I put myself in their position I would have to say that they get to enjoy being in the air longer for each trip.  So there is that, :)  I love flying but I also like to get places faster than I can in my car!  That being said, there were a few days when it was raining a lot and I wished I had the cover of the high wing while loading and unloading, but that was a fleeting moment and I wouldn't trade the looks, the speed, of the efficiency of a Mooney for any other plane!  :) 

Cessna's - better than Mooneys in every way... except the flying.

Cessna's are easier to load and unload, better for sitting under the wing, easy to get around when in the hangar, etc, etc. But once strapped in and power applied, you'd rather be in a Mooney.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SantosDumont said:

I don't understand people that want to "avoid" the Bravo.  I mean is it really that hard to use the radio?

I avoided the Bravo today. My flight from Austin to Lincoln went right through the center of the DFW Bravo. It's top is 11K but anything less than 18K and ATC will route you around it. So I just took off VFR, leveled off at 12,500 and didn't talk to anyone until I was across the top of the Bravo and north of the veil. Then I called for flight following.

I'm never afraid to ask for Bravo services and go into the Bravo. But I hate to fly around the outside just because ATC would rather not have to deal with me. VFR over the top, easy.

3 minutes ago, SantosDumont said:

I don't understand people that want to "avoid" the Bravo.  I mean is it really that hard to use the radio?

I'd love to transit the ATL Bravo, but VFR or IFR, I'm always told to "remain clear." Except the last time when I was told to "stay out." Then when they made me descend to clear the arrival gate, I asked if it wouldn't be less crowded going straight through. First she stuttered, then laughed, said "no" four or five times and reminded me to stay out of the Bravo.

On 6/27/2018 at 10:19 AM, EricJ said:

Slow, underpowered, don't carry much.   What's not to like?  ;)

That could describe many airframes including a Mooney.

Clarence

13 hours ago, Antares said:

I took off from KSQL to KVGT when I first got my Rocket. A Comanche took off at the same time, also bound for VGT. I was surprised when I landed that they had just arrived at the same time so I pull up our flights on FlightAware. They went direct across the Sierra Nevadas. I took the cautious route to the south and traveled 160 miles further than the Comanche in the same 2.5 hours and I was only flying in the teens. 

What model of Comanche? A 180 would be no match for your Rocket.

Clarence

On 6/29/2018 at 10:17 PM, gsxrpilot said:

I avoided the Bravo today. My flight from Austin to Lincoln went right through the center of the DFW Bravo. It's top is 11K but anything less than 18K and ATC will route you around it. So I just took off VFR, leveled off at 12,500 and didn't talk to anyone until I was across the top of the Bravo and north of the veil. Then I called for flight following.

I'm never afraid to ask for Bravo services and go into the Bravo. But I hate to fly around the outside just because ATC would rather not have to deal with me. VFR over the top, easy.

Why wait on the flight following if you are going to be over the Bravo?  They can't actually vector you on flight following.  They can ask, and I wouldn't normally have a problem with a small deviation to assist with traffic as it keeps the traffic away from me too.

• Like 1