Oil and fuel drip after landing

My 252 has always dripped a bit for the first couple of hours after landing. I took a couple of pics and thought the collective wisdom or at least some of the true experts on this thread can explain it to me.

There is certainly oil and fuel dripping in the same location. But there are three hoses that are dripping, so not sure what's coming out of which hose.

IMG_2037.thumb.jpg.3191a39960a666943a296668e78cb624.jpg

IMG_2038.thumb.jpg.0a828dd915c8c9a812da071a9f18a15b.jpg

Thanks.

• Like 1

I don't know if it is similar to the way the hoses are in my plane with the O-360, but I have been chasing an oil leak (turned out to be the governor) and have read a lot across multiple forums in my search. There is a vent outlet with a hose that comes off of the mechanical fuel pump. If the diaphragm in the pump beings to fail it will drip oil/fuel out of that hose. I would follow it up and see if it goes to your mechanical pump.

Here's a couple of threads over on the Vans forums where a guy disassembles a high and a low pressure pump, fairly interesting.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=73721

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=74719

• Thanks 1

Big one is the breather. Crankcase breather goes to a very simple oil recirculator, then moisture and a little left over oil comes out here. 

Two small tubes are for condesating fuel for the right and left side of the engine that’s left after shutdown. 

Both normal. 

• Thanks 1

@gsxrpilot, its most likely the breather.  I pretty much get the same thing once and awhile and I have the same motor.  If you think the oil is coming from the bottom of the cowl under where the exhaust comes out then you can check and see if you might have oil on the back of your turbo.  This oil will find its way to the bottom of the cowl where your exhaust comes out and drip on the hangar floor.  If you shine a flash light up into the area between the exhaust and the cowling you should be able to see the backside of your turbo.  If it looks oily then you could potentially have a leak with a line going into the turbo...worse case a check valve.  However looking at your picture it most likely looks like the breather.....

You probably already do this but I do 30 hour oil changes and fly 120ish hours a year.  Every 3rd or 4th oil change I have my mechanic do it and also ask him do a 50 hour on the engine from a mechanics eye.  We almost always find a clamp, bracket, hose, that needs tightening.  I probably could always make it to my annual without it but it just gives me piece of mind between annuals to check the turbo inlet, blades, etc and give the engine a once over. I also look it over when I do my in between changes but my mechs eye is much better.......

• Like 1

I had the cowling off today, so I thought I’d give a look. Big is the breather, one of the black tubes is the shutdown fuel condensate from both sides of the engine, but the third comes from the bottom of the wastegate actuator. When I looked it up, it said it was the power cylinder port drain. I guess some oil can get behind the piston, and this lets it drain out. 

Edited by jackn