Johnson bar seems difficult putting into the uplock

The last inch or so on locking the gear into the up position has always been a bit hard while putting the bar into the up socket.   But it seems a little more difficult recently. Maybe it is just me getting weaker with age.

I was wondering if my gear doors might be set too tight when closed but the manual is not very clear on how to check or measure how tight they should be in the up position. Any similar experiences or suggestions?

An easy thing to try is a little lube on the bar. When you get to the last little bit to put it in the lock block there is quite a bit of extra friction. On mine I had to twist a little while pushing up into the block to get it to lock into place. When I did the annual and it was up on blocks I unlocked the gear and with it about halfway lube the top of the shaft and work the handle up and down. 

You could also go up with a safety pilot and while cruising along at about 100 mph let the gear hang halfway down and lube the shaft.

After I did this it was very easy to lock it into place. 

Edit: re-read that you are trying to lock in the up position. Check for carpet bunching as has been suggested and also the boot getting bunched up. Still worth trying a little lube on the shaft. 

I'll second what Richard, above, said.

I was having almost the exact same symptoms as the OP- so much so that I was wondering if I was developing rotator cuff issues in my shoulder.  I checked everything, to include carpeting, lube, and pre-loads.

My problem turned out to be inadequate lube on the handle/slider itself that was making the whole extension process seem stiff.  I lubed my slider with the plane up on jacks, but like Richard said, you can certainly do it in flight.  Taking a safety pilot would be a good idea.

I suggest silicone spray, readily available at hardware stores.

Let us know what works for you!

2 hours ago, yvesg said:

My shaft seems due for some lube too...which part of it should be sprayed with silicone?

Yves

With the handle all the way up I just put some right below the handle and then slid it up and down to lube the inside of the handle. After that I wiped the area below the handle with a rag. 

I had a similar problem on my E many year ago working fine and then got harder to lock down.  A the time I didn't have access to jacks but I did lube all the visible gear linkages I could get to and it did help.

If you can jack it up drop the belly pan and lube all the mechanisms associated with the gear and see if it clears up.

14 hours ago, yvesg said:

My shaft seems due for some lube too...which part of it should be sprayed with silicone?

Yves

Dirty old man!  This is a family program.

Clarence

On 6/26/2018 at 10:25 AM, 1964-M20E said:

I had a similar problem on my E many year ago working fine and then got harder to lock down.  A the time I didn't have access to jacks but I did lube all the visible gear linkages I could get to and it did help.

If you can jack it up drop the belly pan and lube all the mechanisms associated with the gear and see if it clears up.

Remember, the landing gear AD requires annual lubing of all of the gear and all  flight control system, or every 100 hours, whichever comes first. Not all mechanics realize how many places need lubing.

• Like 1