U2 Flight by WSJ Reporter

Jeff_S

A WSJ reporter put together a 20 minute video about the U2 program and a flight he was able to take.  It's pretty good, and this reporter actually sounded like he knew a thing or two about aviation. Worth a look just to imagine what it would be like!

https://on.wsj.com/2HqjyY8

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Jeff_S said:

A WSJ reporter put together a 20 minute video about the U2 program and a flight he was able to take.  It's pretty good, and this reporter actually sounded like he knew a thing or two about aviation. Worth a look just to imagine what it would be like!

https://on.wsj.com/2HqjyY8

Oh the memories....

I spent everyday for 6 years watching these and the SR-71 take -off and land as a crew chief at Beale Ca, Okinawa Japan, and Mildenhall Eng.  It never gets old watching these things do what they do day in and day out.  Kelly Johnson and team were an amazing tool for us to have in our pocket.  Thanks for posting this!

Ron

• Like 1

Awesome.   Thanks for the link.   I'm surprised that they're still using wet film, as even in the 1980s when I was working on synthetic aperture radar (like the SR-71 carried at the time), one of the motivations was that they didn't like the delays (and infrastructure overhead) associated with the film processing.  At the time the projects I was working on were trying to get the digital signal processing required to turn the SAR data into images advanced enough to run in real-time (which is old hat now, but it wasn't then).   So now, thirty years later, they're still using the wet film.   I'm sure there's some advantage to it that they don't want to let go of just yet.

James May, of Top Gear and The Grand Tour and a bunch of other shows, did a similar, more in-depth documentary of a ride on the U-2 about eight years ago.   It's similar to the WSJ report, just a lot more detailed, and it's James May, so...

Two parts, about 15 min each: