1988 Mooney 20J Turbo Bullet

18 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

That’s a lot of money for a plane that’s going to need radios and interior now, and an engine soon.  

Agreed. Maybe he's hoping someone will low ball him with the price he actually hopes to get. 

8 hours ago, carusoam said:

MS term of the day...

Over Investor... 

The level a CB graduates to in the second decade of Forever Plane Ownership...

:)

-a-

Or would it be the CB who, upon deciding to get their plane ADS-B compliant for 2020, ends up with a completely new panel (because the new transponder needed wiring, so while you are in there, let's do a couple more things), a new interior (because the old one makes the new panel look bad), new windows (while you have the interior out), a new paint job (so the new windows don't get messed up when you paint it in the next "n" years), and freshly sealed tanks or bladders (since doing it after it is painted might be tough on the new paint job)......

Kind of similar to the book " If You Give a Moose a Muffin". :D

• Like 3

I really like the idea of a turbo-normalizer and am sorry that they are not continuing to offer these kits.  It would be nice to have sea-level performance at higher altitude but I guess the engineering and business case just didn't make sense.  When I look at the cost of upgrades and expected payback, I realize that a lot of things are done because that is the desire of the owner.  I'm guilty of this too.  I've done modifications to my plane for a lot of reasons besides increasing its value or wanting to recoup my investment.  I make sure that I can afford it and hope someday that, when I have to sell it, the next owner loves it as much as I do.  My advice is that if you have the means and, this is something you would like to make a project out of, then go for it!  If you are looking to upgrade and not sell for a loss or expect a profit, then be very critical and more "business" like in your approach.  I'm way too excited when it comes to aviation to be too bogged down in the economics.  If I made all my aviation decisions based on economics.....I would get out of it and put my money somewhere else.  Hopefully someone will buy this, give it the TLC it needs and we will have another active Mooney in the fleet with the rare turbo-normalizer upgrade!  :) 

This is actually a turbo-boosted version, not a normalizer. It uses low compression pistons just like any other typical factory turbo plane, so there is an efficiency penalty when flying low compared to stock.

There was a very similar normalizer kit that came along after this one, but it too is off the market and not supported.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

Just my real humble opinion, I think that if someone was looking to sell an airplane and was willing to post it on a public comment forum such as MS then all the comments would be fair game. But posting an ad in a classified web site and then having it placed for folks to say whatever they think pro or con might be a disservice to the selling party even though it might be helpful to a possible buyer perhaps even to steer them away from the very airplane your trying to help market.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, bonal said:

Just my real humble opinion, I think that if someone was looking to sell an airplane and was willing to post it on a public comment forum such as MS then all the comments would be fair game. But posting an ad in a classified web site and then having it placed for folks to say whatever they think pro or con might be a disservice to the selling party even though it might be helpful to a possible buyer perhaps even to steer them away from the very airplane your trying to help market.

That is why you would NEVER EVER see my plane posted here. A plane becomes fair game for those who think they have the expertise to determine a another owner's plane's worth.  

• Like 1

The market determines the airplanes worth, but it appears that some people simply take the price they bought it for, add up all the receipts on it and list it for that.. it’s rather strange actually. And those airplanes languish on the web for over a year sometimes or longer while they don’t fly and then when somebody finally does buy it,  it needs a new engine from sitting a year. It’s a very strange market.   Airplanes that are priced right move very quickly often within a few hours or days .  I’ve had several friends now looking for the right airplane and when it pops up they pounce on it....call within a few hours and have a deposit in the guys hand within a day. Proper pre-buy a flight home. One guy is an ER doc looking for a Colemill Baron. Then one popped up that had two fresh engines and airplane cost a little more than what the two engines cost..  he takes off off his scrubs and drove to the airport and flew out to see it literally the same day.  He paid good money and got a good airplane. The other guy bought a S35 Bonanza. A well known bonanza guru flew up and did a pre it and he owned it the next day. 

Edited by jetdriven
  • Like 1

Should I refrain from mentioning the Mooney's that pop up for sale on WingSwap.com? I was about to show you guys another one (a really good deal. '67 with 201 windshield/cowl, new paint and interior for about $70k) that was just put up on the site, but now I'm not sure. I didn't think there would be a downside to more publicity for one's ad. Thoughts? 

• Like 1

In general, Jesse, as counterintuitive as it may seem, I’m of the opinion that you should refrain from reposting here. 
That having been said, every rule has exceptions and that highly modified F is probably one of them. Don Maxwell is the owner and it would almost be blasphemous for anyone here to say anything negative about it.  Otherwise someone would probably be quick to point out that it appears to not have either an autopilot or a WAAS GPS installed, and that it is therefore not even suitable for consideration. 
I’m not of that opinion, for what it’s worth, as neither do either of our Mooneys.  What a beauty!  I hope it sells quickly.
Jim

I agree. It’s like walking into an Amazon river with a deep cut on your finger. You don’t know if it will be the crocodiles, the piranhas or something else lurking in the muddy waters that will get ya, but something will.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Thanks for clarifying the difference between the turbo-normalizer and the turbo add-on.  I should have done a bit more research but my comments about the utility of a turbo-normalizer are still valid.  The point about it being low compression cylinders and having a slight disadvantage at lower altitudes is an excellent point.  I'd also like to comment about putting links to aircraft for sale.  I know there are strong opinions both ways.  I prefer as much information as possible and then I can weigh the options.  I do the same when reading feedback on Amazon about something I'm going to purchase.  There will always be naysayers on one end and overly exaggerated claims on the other.  It's best to have all the information and then make your own informed decision.  I think this forum is a gold-mine of information and it is extremely valuable to read through many people's experiences. I would like to continue to see a "heads up" when a plane comes on the market and leave it to the members to comment or not.  A potential buyer can then take the comments with a grain of salt and then verify, verify, verify any claims.  This applies to good ones as well as bad ones.  Thanks for reading! 

22 minutes ago, M20FanJesse said:

What I'll do is just ask the owners permission before posting on the forums 

I would not post them here.  Period.  An airplane is not typically an impulse buy; I doubt someone will see your ad and say, "I should buy that!"  Rather, potential buyers will already be searching the sales sites if they want to buy a Mooney.

The comments made here are much more likely to detract and hurt the eventual sales price as opposed to enhancing it.

Edited by Ah-1 Cobra Pilot
Clarity
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Ah-1 Cobra Pilot said:

I would not post them here.  Period.  An airplane is not typically an impulse buy; I doubt someone will see your ad and say, "I should buy that!"  Rather, potential buyers will already be searching the sales sites if they want to buy a Mooney.

The comments made here are much more likely to detract and hurt the eventual sales price as opposed to enhancing it.

As a new site sponsor, I'm trying to get WingSwap to become that "sales site" that people first go to when looking for a plane. Its true, chances are no one will immediately go out and purchase the plane I post about. But people who see the ad will remember the name WingSwap when wanting to sell their plane or buy a plane, tomorrow. Also this is the classifieds section of a Mooney forum. People are coming here to look for mooney's to buy. I just trying to market as un-intrusively as possible. If people don't want to see these mooneys that pop up on my site, I'll stop, I have no issue with that. Just trying to create a win-win-win situation haha

• Like 3

On 6/29/2018 at 8:13 AM, M20FanJesse said:

As a new site sponsor, I'm trying to get WingSwap to become that "sales site" that people first go to when looking for a plane. Its true, chances are no one will immediately go out and purchase the plane I post about. But people who see the ad will remember the name WingSwap when wanting to sell their plane or buy a plane, tomorrow. Also this is the classifieds section of a Mooney forum. People are coming here to look for mooney's to buy. I just trying to market as un-intrusively as possible. If people don't want to see these mooneys that pop up on my site, I'll stop, I have no issue with that. Just trying to create a win-win-win situation haha

I think you're doing it right.   Asking the seller if they'd like the ad linked on a pertinent forum sounds like a useful additional service to me, and they're free to decline it if they don't want it.

• Like 3

On 6/29/2018 at 7:49 AM, Ah-1 Cobra Pilot said:

It seems someone saw my ad and said "I should buy that". For only posting two ads to forums, 50% success rate seems pretty worth it. I'll be requesting approval from the owners before posting. And as long as the administrators/mods of Mooneyspace don't mind, and the vast majority don't mind, I'll try and post the best deals that I see for mooneys that pop up on the site. I certainly won't spam the site though.

unnamed (1).jpg

• Like 1

On 6/29/2018 at 10:13 AM, M20FanJesse said:

If people don't want to see these mooneys that pop up on my site, I'll stop, I have no issue with that. Just trying to create a win-win-win situation haha

Don't let one person's temporary discomfort affect your long term vision. The vast majority of people respect someone with an entrepreneurial spirit. Keep doing what you are doing!

• Like 6