New Avionics Wiring

Davarron

I'm having some new avionics put in next week (Lynx, PMA450, and G5) and would like your input regarding the wiring. The avionics shop states that they typically reuse the existing coax and antennas unless they are in bad shape. Is this common practice? Or should I be getting all new wiring for these new avionics and audio panel? Also will be installing a GNC255 soon and they say the same thing about that wiring as well. My thought is that I don't want to have all this new stuff put in and then have issues down the road with the old wiring and have to take the interior back out, however, I don't know how much labor intensive it is to install all new coax with the avionics installation.

New wire is always good... and very expensive...

Some wires may not be there yet...  stereo type audio systems...?

Lots of new type wires are available today that weren’t there before... Antenna wires RG400(?) or something like that...

How many random splices do you have in there from previous boxes and cost saving installers?

If this is a forever plane... much easier to do it once for the next decade or more...

Some things that come to mind of a PP, not a mechanic....  being a CB makes this decision a real challenge...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

I'm having some new avionics put in next week (Lynx, PMA450, and G5) and would like your input regarding the wiring. The avionics shop states that they typically reuse the existing coax and antennas unless they are in bad shape. Is this common practice? Or should I be getting all new wiring for these new avionics and audio panel? Also will be installing a GNC255 soon and they say the same thing about that wiring as well. My thought is that I don't want to have all this new stuff put in and then have issues down the road with the old wiring and have to take the interior back out, however, I don't know how much labor intensive it is to install all new coax with the avionics installation.

I would replace them. I went through a full avionics upgrade to find I had one of the coax failed on the GTN after a couple of years. The panel is opened up and it is not that much more work to run the wires after you get access to them (i.e. removing the interior). I was having Bruce Jaeger come in for redoing my interior, so I ran all new RG-400 for the GTN, 255 and the VORs and then flew it over to the shop to have them put the terminators on them.

This is the kind of stuff I found with the old RG-58.

458d82c2e6e54a5dc8f8261bde073e9f.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

Also, the cost of the RG-400 isn’t bad. I used less than 100 feet and you can get it for $2.85 per foot from Spruce.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/coaxialcableconnectors6.php?clickkey=6024

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

100' of coax in a Mooney? :huh:

Unless the wires are already fairly new I would replace them.  I would also remove the comm antennas and clean the skins under them.  

Why spend the money on nice new avionics and then handicap them with poor wiring and coax cables?    You wouldn’t order a new car with bald tires would you.

Clarence 

Absolutely.  I wouldn’t deploy tens of thousands of dollars in new avionics with existing (and/or even remotely-questionable) wiring.  The cost for running new is nominal in the grand scheme, and as long as the airplane is apart, it’s the best time to do it.  Don’t skip this this important piece of work.  Marauder’s picture is worth a thousand words.  You have no idea what’s going on in there, so build in the work, make it nice, and sleep better at night.

Steve

You don’t need to fully rewire but I would have them clean up and organize any rats nests and run RG-400 to improve com performance.  If you know what you’re getting into that’s one thing - rewiring from scratch you’d be in 70+ hours of labor without too much benefit. Just get rid of the old outdated stuff. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2018 at 7:13 PM, markejackson02 said:

Any idea where to buy the gaskets that fit under the antennas on the 201?  Either the CI-196 gaskets or the gaskets for the old 7 antennas.

I bought a new CI-196 and was looking for a gasket and even called Chief where I bought it, but was unable to locate one. I was looking because if I remember correctly the description did not state gasket included, but it did have a rubber gasket with it. 

I suggest you call Cobham the manufacturer