ADS-B / FlightAware question

MooneyBob

The rules as I understand them are that you cannot overfly Charlies and Bravos without ADSB after 2020.  Overflying Bravos does take some doing, but I overfly lots of Charlies whenever I go anywhere, and I go through one half the time.  And I don't think you'll be able to file without ADSB after 2020.
For guys flying little puddle jumpers it might not be such a big deal.  But we fly travel machines, and its going to get old detouring around all that airspace all the time.  Moreover, if you haven't ADSB I doubt you'll be able to sell your aircraft easily come 2020.

You’ll have to stay out the whole 30 mile mode c veil not just in and above the bravo...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, Hank said:

Never heard that I can't file without ADS-B. I just can't go above 10,000 msl, but I don't do that much (ever?) anyway.

You will be able to file IFR and fly IFR without ADS-B. The mandate pertains to Airspace not operations. You will be excluded from Class A, Class B, and Class C airspace. Within the Mode-C veil of such airspace and up to 10,000 ft MSL over such airspace. And Class E above 10,000 ft. Everywhere else you'll be fine.

• Like 2

Never heard that I can't file without ADS-B. I just can't go above 10,000 msl, but I don't do that much (ever?) anyway.

I think it will be interesting to see how ADS-B enforcement will happen. Although there is a lot of open space in between the mandate areas, I can’t help but think there will be a number of violations of the airspace, especially in high congestion areas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I think it will be interesting to see how ADS-B enforcement will happen. Although there is a lot of open space in between the mandate areas, I can’t help but think there will be a number of violations of the airspace, especially in high congestion areas.

Enforcement will be as simple as it is now. If they fly out of or into a towered field they'll be nailed for sure. But if it's in and out of uncontrolled fields they'll probably get away with it every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Steve W said:

IFR is an interesting question. Can you actually get an IFR clearance today(or for that matter flight following) without a Mode-C transponder outside of Mode-C rule airspace?

Why not? They still know how to do it. 

My transponder quit because of a chaifed wire about two years ago while returning from Flagstaff.

The folks at Phoenix were gracious enough to get me a wavier while still airborne to transit the class B without a transponder.

They worked me as a primary target the whole way. I gave position and altitude reports just like I did back in th3 80s. I think we all had fun!

I wonder if they can still set the radar screen horizontal and run paper boats?

Edited by N201MKTurbo

I stand corrected, thank you.  But consider this.  The FAA is often on a sliding scale.  You might not need ADSB to file in 2020, but I bet you will by 2025 or so.  Once ADSB becomes the norm it'll get harder and harder to do without.

And detouring around all those Charlies (or flying above 10K ALL the time) will get old.  I hate the continual surveillance, but I didn't buy a Mooney to not travel.

I bet that ADSB out solutions will be getting closer to 1 AMU over the next 12 months.  There are two or three acceptable ones out there now that are very close to 2 AMUs.  For me, that makes it both affordable and easy to install.

• Like 2

I don’t recall the exact numbers, but the FAA numbers on planes already equipped with ADS-B is scary low. I do have one observation which may explain this. At my home airport, I have seen an increasing number of ADS-B equipped planes show up on my TIS-B — all from planes that are flown regularly. I would venture to say the planes that are hangar queens or fly very seldom are equipped.

Those owners may be waiting for those cheap solutions or have memories back to the 1990s when all of us were being told that we needed to equip with a Mode S transponder, only to have it rescinded.

3 hours ago, Ned Gravel said:

I bet that ADSB out solutions will be getting closer to 1 AMU over the next 12 months.  There are two or three acceptable ones out there now that are very close to 2 AMUs.  For me, that makes it both affordable and easy to install.

There are several inexpensive all-in-one units already on the market, but I don't want to buy another WAAS unit, and will not install another antenna on my roof just for it. It can share the antenna and be wired up from my 430W. For 1AMU, I may think about it; for 2-3AMU plus install, no freaking way.

Speaking of the deadline, isn't it nice how the FAA is holding GA to the deadline, but letting revenue-generating airlines slide past it? Or am I the only one who thinks this is bad form? All users should be held to the same standard, or you don't have a standard . . . .

6 hours ago, Hank said:

There are several inexpensive all-in-one units already on the market, but I don't want to buy another WAAS unit, and will not install another antenna on my roof just for it. It can share the antenna and be wired up from my 430W. For 1AMU, I may think about it; for 2-3AMU plus install, no freaking way.

Speaking of the deadline, isn't it nice how the FAA is holding GA to the deadline, but letting revenue-generating airlines slide past it? Or am I the only one who thinks this is bad form? All users should be held to the same standard, or you don't have a standard . . . .

How about wired up to your transponder? Or to replace your tail strobe? Independent solutions with their own WAAS chip/antennae that do not require installation of a separate antenna.  

Just sayin’. 

How about wired up to your transponder? Or to replace your tail strobe? Independent solutions with their own WAAS chip/antennae that do not require installation of a separate antenna.  
Just sayin’. 

The certified version is supposed to be out this summer.

http://m.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/skybeacon.php?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpIuR_P_02wIVGYzICh2WOQoYEAQYASABEgLh1vD_BwE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 hour ago, Ned Gravel said:

One without its own WAAS chip will cost less (to manufacture, anyway; cost is not necessarily related to pricing, there's the whole "all that the market will bear" thing that comes into play).

For those that are worried about privacy, suggest making it at least a little harder by using a P.O. Box for your aircraft registration with the FAA.  To easy to do a reverse look up and see when your 500 miles away after departing in the morning.  I've been doing that for years and never had any issues with getting fan mail from the FAA that way... ;)

Just some more food for thought. 

Brian