ADS-B / FlightAware question

MooneyBob

I used to see all my Filed IFR flights on FlightAware. Since I moved to FL I don’t file that many flights anymore. 

But I thought I should see most of my flights anyway since I have in and out.  I didn’t see any of those. I didn’t pay too much attention to it. But today I did my Flight Review and we did get the squawk code from ATC and shot the ILS to class C airport. Still nothing on FlightAware. 

Any short explanation to that? 

Thanks. 

1 hour ago, gsengle said:

You need to log in with an account to set that setting on the web version and use the same account on the app versions for it to work.

Guess I need to sign out and back in on my poine. Flights show up on my desktop and tablet, but not on the phone . . . . .

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, steingar said:

Why on Midguard would anyone want their movements tracked in a publicly accessible database?

We have no choice in it. Until there is effective encryption on ADS-B all your aircraft movements will be available to everyone.

Until recently you could ask the FAA to obscure your data, but now most of what you see online doesn't come from the FAA but from private ADS-B receivers that receive it directly from your aircraft.

• Like 1

Just now, N201MKTurbo said:

We have no choice in it. Until there is effective encryption on ADS-B all your aircraft movements will be available to everyone.

Until recently you could ask the FAA to obscure your data, but now most of what you see online doesn't come from the FAA but from private ADS-B receivers that receive it directly from your aircraft.

Recently I initiated a shutdown of this.  My aircraft flight information is not available on anything publicly accessible.  Allowing someone to track your movements is utter folly in my view.  I have nothing to hide, but I value my privacy nonetheless.

• Like 1

After not seeing a lot of my flights showing up on Flightaware I sent them a support message inquiring why and their explanation took me by surprise. They said that they rely on users to setup equipment and listen for ADS-B signals and that most sites listen for 1090 signals and not 978 UAT, which explained it in my case since I have a GDL 88.

20 minutes ago, steingar said:

Recently I initiated a shutdown of this.  My aircraft flight information is not available on anything publicly accessible.  Allowing someone to track your movements is utter folly in my view.  I have nothing to hide, but I value my privacy nonetheless.

Not true, you can only stop the FAA from publishing the data. The only way to stop it is to turn off your transponder or UAT.

The ability of us to see other traffic is the same mechanism that allows the whole world to see our positions.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 1964-M20E said:

Kind of scary I go on a local VFR fun flight don't talk to anyone and not long after landing I get an email that I landed.  :o

What's even more scary is when Foreflight shows flights on the west coast that you never made.  My C made a stop in Catalina on 6/10 while it was in it's hangar in AR.  I've tried to track down the aircraft that's using my ADS-B out code, with moderate success TBD.

1 minute ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Not true, you can only stop the FAA from publishing the data. The only way to stop it is to turn off your transponder or UAT.

The ability of us to see other traffic is the same mechanism that allows the whole world to see our positions.

The GDL 88 has an "anonymous" mode, which the manual explains as the ability to "broadcast a randomized ICAO address in the ADS-B out message. When armed it will replace the flight ID with a temporary randomized number for privacy while the position will still be provided ".

34 minutes ago, flyboy0681 said:

The GDL 88 has an "anonymous" mode, which the manual explains as the ability to "broadcast a randomized ICAO address in the ADS-B out message. When armed it will replace the flight ID with a temporary randomized number for privacy while the position will still be provided ".

After 2020 you will not be allowed to use anonymous mode while on an active flight plan or in contact with ATC.

And anonymous mode is only available on UATs

3 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

So long as the FAA isn't giving it to anyone who asks I'm OK with it.  That said, I have no doubt they'll happily share it with law enforcement agencies, but they don't need transponders to figure out where you're going.

3 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

You can send a request to FlightAware to not publish your flights, and they will typically do as you ask. As for other tracking sites, I have no idea, but at least FA will not publish if asked.

image.png.e3906cf797c29d54c458899d90ae3fd7.png

5 hours ago, steingar said:

How was your flight yesterday?

image.thumb.png.0454bf0e1a9ddada3250e1f2f5f5c27b.png

• Like 2

My flight went well. The fact that I’m seeing my flight profile means I have to get back in touch with the FAA. I’ll leave that damn thing off before I let anyone casually track my movements. You have my thanks for demonstrating the flaws in my approach.

I've never used any kind of flight tracking software. I figure if someone wants to tell me about their flight they’re welcome to do so. I don’t think anyone needs me spying on their affairs. I try to respect the privacy of others. I only ask they do the same for me. I think this stinks to high heaven. I’ve spend a lot of my coin and a great deal of my time to try and obey the rules, and this is how I’m treated, my affairs laid open to anyone with a computer. And the FAA wonders why no one is installing ADSB.

• Like 1

@steingar, it has nothing to do with ADS-B. FlightAware has been showing my flights ever since I got my license in 2007. They still show up, and I am not going to ASB-B up. So keep yer eyes peeled out the winder, cuz I ain't gonna show on your tablet, less'n you kin get realtime FlightAware updates in cruise . . . .

P.S.--it's handy for meeting people when traveling, they know when I will arrive.

Edited by Hank
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, steingar said:

My flight went well. The fact that I’m seeing my flight profile means I have to get back in touch with the FAA. I’ll leave that damn thing off before I let anyone casually track my movements. You have my thanks for demonstrating the flaws in my approach.

I've never used any kind of flight tracking software. I figure if someone wants to tell me about their flight they’re welcome to do so. I don’t think anyone needs me spying on their affairs. I try to respect the privacy of others. I only ask they do the same for me. I think this stinks to high heaven. I’ve spend a lot of my coin and a great deal of my time to try and obey the rules, and this is how I’m treated, my affairs laid open to anyone with a computer. And the FAA wonders why no one is installing ADSB.

There’s absolutely nothing the FAA can do.  Your plane can be (and is) tracked by members of the public.  The only way you stop this is to disable your transponder.

• Like 2