Auto-start aviation tablet app?

toto

Curious what solutions people have come up with for this...

I've owned a variety of dedicated aviation handheld devices, including panel-mounted G* devices like a 696 and an Aera. I've also used a number of different mobile apps on iOS and Android. 

The mobile apps are getting advanced enough that their functionality may well eclipse the dedicated devices (at least arguably), but the thing I can't get around is that you're using a general-purpose device for a very specialized purpose. So if I have, say, an iPad mounted in the cockpit, but I forget to open an aviation app, it's a terrible emergency backup. In the worst-case scenario where I'm IMC and the entire panel disappeared, I'd have to unlock the thing, navigate to the app, open it, wait for initialization, etc. All while bouncing around in the soup. But the dedicated device would have powered up with the master switch, and even if I didn't touch it at all, it's got satellites locked, synced with an ADS-B in source, and displayed a very helpful moving map (maybe even with some synthetic vision or an AHRS-based attitude reference).

That's pretty helpful stuff. 

For those who strongly prefer a general-purpose iOS or Android device as a backup heading/attitude/nav reference, how do you make sure you've got it when you need it? Does the app init sequence just become a mandatory checklist item? Or is there a nice way of forcing an aviation app to launch at device startup, so it's always locked and loaded?

5 minutes ago, Bartman said:

Add it to your checklist. Problem solved. 

Well, that's my whole concern. If I'm using a tablet for navigation or attitude reference, I'm in trouble. And the way I'm thinking about this is: "that which can happen - will." With the dedicated device, you've got a lot of information at your disposal even if your series of mistakes included missing a checklist item. 

If there's a way to auto-start the aviation app, every time the device is powered on, then you could mitigate the effects of at least that one mistake. 

Power up your favorite portable device and app and leave it running, I turn on my iPad and start WingX on every flight, I put the iPad on sleep mode if I don't need it, saves battery even though it's running in the background 

• Like 1

I'm sorry, but I'm really having trouble seeing the problem. Like @RLCarter, I just power up my EFB and open the apps I want at the beginning of a flight, exactly the same way I would make sure my charts, approach binders, kneeboard, and pencil were all accessible in the paper days. I also put it in sleep mode when I'm not actively using it and it's one button press to bring it all back.

But perhaps we are starting from different assumptions, so I'm not understanding what you are getting at. My EFB, for all its bells and whistles, is ultimately an electronic chart and information reference. It's not a primary navigation and attitude reference. I have certified instruments and avionics for that. Are you using it in a different way?

Edit: Rereading, I see your concern is emergency backup. Even then, since it is powered up and available, it's just two presses to get there. One to wake up the tablet; two to touch the button which brings up the HSI/instrument page.  Maybe two more if you moved the EFB to the background before sleeping it. If that's to much time, my skills need a workout!

Edited by midlifeflyer
  • Like 3

Put your checklist in Foreflight or whatever app you use. Then if you use the checklist, the app is open. You can set it up to stay on continuously or go into sleep mode and comes back to life with a touch of a button.  I close all other apps at startup while using Foreflight or the IFD 100 app. 

• Like 1

I don't really see the problem either.  Start the app before you start the engine on the ground.  That's what I do with Garmin Pilot on my Samsung.  The tablet will run about 3 or 4 hours on battery.  If I'm going to be flying more than that I plug it into the charger to keep it charged.

• Like 1

Since I am using the Garmin Pilot app for my checklists on a dedicated iPad Mini, I power the iPad up and open GP before I begin the flow/checklist.

The only thing I don’t like about the GP app is that my database updates using the Flighstream 510 requires the iPad to connect to it first through WiFi, then it switches to Bluetooth to do the connection for flightplan transfers. Since my iPad will pair with a number of different WiFi connections, I usually find that it connects to my local airport’s WiFi or the L-3 9000’s WiFi before the Flighstream 510. Since this is only a 28 day problem, I have learned to live with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I have Garmin Pilot on my cell phone (Samsung S7) and while driving to the airport I check the weather and TFRs on it. After takeoff I Velcro my cell phone on the visor for continuous weather info and navigation. While in cruise I text my friend on the ground with my ETA for airport pick up. If flying into an unfamiliar place I use the same cell phone for road navigation. With the Garmin Pilot on the cell phone I always get the latest chart updates automatically. No need to find a WiFi spot. 

22 hours ago, Marauder said:

The only thing I don’t like about the GP app is that my database updates using the Flighstream 510 requires the iPad to connect to it first through WiFi, then it switches to Bluetooth to do the connection for flightplan transfers. Since my iPad will pair with a number of different WiFi connections, I usually find that it connects to my local airport’s WiFi or the L-3 9000’s WiFi before the Flighstream 510. Since this is only a 28 day problem, I have learned to live with it.

It's important to get everything switched over while still on the ground. Just yesterday I flew with my CFI to shoot approaches and found my Garmin Pilot was still set to receive weather from the Internet. The air was pretty rough due to South Florida buildups and I had a major problem trying to tap the very teen-weeny check mark which controls the source of the weather (Internet, ADS-B or Sirius), eventually giving up so that I could get the approach setup. It was very frustrating flying around with the screen darkened and the message plastered "Internet Radar Unavailable. Check your device connection".

7 minutes ago, David Herman said:

My worst complaint with the IPad Mini ... is the glare ... if the sun is shining right on it ... it’s hard to read.

I’m thinking of changing to the “matted” style screen protector I originally used? 

I connect to The Stratus 2 via net and to FS-210 via Bluetooth prior to each flight. Referencing @flyboy0681 ‘s comment above ... after doing that a time or two .. I started disabling the Mini’s cellular capabilities prior to each flight also. 

I carry a second Mini with ForeFlight and a full size iPad with Jeppesen Pilot. 

I tried a matted protector (which was endorsed by AOPA) but found it cut down on the brightness too much.

But my worst complaint is overheating. Twice in the past month the unit died on the yoke when flying with the sun overhead. After my wife placed it in front of the vent by her knee it started up again within three minutes. I guess the only saving grace when shooting an approach in actual conditions would be that it's cloudy.

On 6/24/2018 at 5:01 AM, midlifeflyer said:

Edit: Rereading, I see your concern is emergency backup. Even then, since it is powered up and available, it's just two presses to get there. One to wake up the tablet; two to touch the button which brings up the HSI/instrument page.  Maybe two more if you moved the EFB to the background before sleeping it. If that's to much time, my skills need a workout!

Right, my concern is having this available in an emergency - where workload is high, and any required setup steps draw attention away from flying the plane.

It's interesting to hear how people use these apps. I basically use a tablet for flight planning and approach plates, and it doesn't leave my flight bag on a VFR flight. 

I like having a semi-permanently mounted (e.g., in an Airgizmos dock) device in the cockpit that's always powered up and always showing something relevant in the event that I need it. Something that's battery powered and doesn't depend on any outside nav source. Historically for me that has always been a dedicated aviation gadget.

I've seen more and more people over the last five years or so using a general-purpose tablet in the same semi-permanent context, and they seem really happy with that setup. Using a $200-800 tablet certainly sounds more cost-effective than a dedicated device that's twice as expensive and does 1/10th as much, but there are obviously some tradeoffs.

The "start an aviation app when powered up" thing is my first mental hurdle, but there's also a lot of other tablet silliness that I've never seen in a dedicated device. Apps crashing randomly, shutting down because it gets too hot, touchscreen UIs that weren't really designed for turbulence, etc.  But it sounds like the benefits outweigh the consequences for most.

Similar Experience based on traffic data from ADSB...

The challenges I see with my portable system...

1) One part iPad...

2) one part sensor...

3) One part app...

4) One part software...

5) There are so many things required to be up and running and communicating properly... the chance of opening and using any of it in an emergency is too small (for me).

6) If like me...everything must be on and connected before movement begins...

7) To do that... a check list is required... because something won’t be on, or connected...  even when you think it should be...

8) Every now and then my iPad drops communication with my traffic sensor... could be related to the power plug falling out of the panel...

9) Every now and then my iPhone crashes and locks up...

10) Every now and then my iPad apps crash or shut down...

11) keeping my iPad out of sunlight also keeps it out of GPS reception...

12) lots of people are reporting using dedicated idevices with back-up I devices on board...

13) For Back-up nav device’s this is all good enough...

14) for back-up Attitude indicator... this would have to be set up and operational long before it is needed...

15) The attitude sensor can’t be unsecured sitting on a shelf... if it turns on its side in bumps, what happens next?

16) If your attitude sensor is held in place with Velcro... is that the same as your life depending on a hook and loop fastener?

17) Practice Using it... nothing like trying to make something work as stress levels increase...

I would hate to have to rely on any of this portable stuff... good stuff to have... but continue to think everything through....

Good enough, won’t be good enough...

PP summary of what I think I read in this thread and others...

Best regards,

-a-

I looked and haven't noticed any effect, but I guess that doesn't mean that there isn't any. My J's compass actually works quite well. 

I never saw any effect on the magnetic compass when I had one installed. I removed mine for a couple of reasons. On my iPad Mini, I have a charging case that allows me to drop the iPad into a quick dock for charging (called an iPort). The Steelie mount on the iPad interfere with this so I had to stop using the iPort.

The other reason is that the iPad Mini would periodically swing from side to side when I turned the yoke. Minor annoyance but I found myself constantly straightening it. I may have been able to resolve it by putting the mount closer to the middle but it would then start blocking my Aspens.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

39 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

I think y'all are borderline insane to trust tablets and phones for approach plates and navdata. 

You do know that Murphy rules the world, right? 

I certainly wouldn't want a tablet to be the *only* source of this data.  My tablet typically has a third copy of approach plates.  It's a handy reference, but not critical.  (I usually have a paper copy of the most likely approaches.)

36 minutes ago, toto said:

I certainly wouldn't want a tablet to be the *only* source of this data.  My tablet typically has a third copy of approach plates.  It's a handy reference, but not critical.  (I usually have a paper copy of the most likely approaches.)

Same here, I keep a binder with approach plates, just in case Mr Murphy comes a callin' at the most inopportune time.

13 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

I think y'all are borderline insane to trust tablets and phones for approach plates and navdata. 

You do know that Murphy rules the world, right? 

I guess I might insane then. I haven't had a paper chart in the cockpit for 7 years. Then again, I do have electronic backups and fly with a panel GPS and a radio.

Just now, midlifeflyer said:

I guess I might insane then. I haven't had a paper chart in the cockpit for 7 years. Then again, I do have electronic backups and fly with a panel GPS and a radio.

I don't fly with paper either though the 30# leather case with 6 2" Jepp binders is still in my office from the 80s. 

I have charts on the GTN 750 and GPS 696. (They're also on a tablet and a phone but I don't count either as reliable.)

2 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

I don't fly with paper either though the 30# leather case with 6 2" Jepp binders is still in my office from the 80s. 

I have charts on the GTN 750 and GPS 696. (They're also on a tablet and a phone but I don't count either as reliable.)

My only charts are on my primary and backup tablets. 

3 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

Murphy was an optimist. :rolleyes:

Funny thing though. I've had certified official cockpit stuff fail more often than my tablet-based EFB. If we think in terms of worst-case scenarios, we're never safe.

Edited by midlifeflyer

3 hours ago, midlifeflyer said:

My only charts are on my primary and backup tablets.

I use the charts on the aviation apps, no paper.  I do however make a screen shot of the destination approach plates, and have it on ipad and iphone.  I have been using the ipad since the first version and have never had a problem except once when I forgot to charge it so I just left it off until I needed it for the approach.  Now we have a charger on the IFD440 but have not had to use it.  I've heard all of the stories about overheating in direct sunlight, so I just take precautions for sunlight and have not had an issue.

Just now, Bartman said:

I use the charts on the aviation apps, no paper.  I do however make a screen shot of the destination approach plates, and have it on ipad and iphone.  I have been using the ipad since the first version and have never had a problem except once when I forgot to charge it so I just left it off until I needed it for the approach.  Now we have a charger on the IFD440 but have not had to use it.  I've heard all of the stories about overheating in direct sunlight, so I just take precautions for sunlight and have not had an issue.

My experience is the same as yours. Same time period too. My charging misadventure wasn't a forget, though. I unknowingly plugged the charger into a switched receptacle. When I turned off the lights, the charging turned off too. I carry an external battery which will completely recharge the tablet or run it for hours.