BatteryMINDer and external power plug

1713155311_F8pn2rTTCOuScSZFMvjoA.thumb.jpg.a12e38b77e78a4ee02915f1734222bf0.jpg

(apologies-re picture rotation)

The BatteryMINDer is no-op when connected through the external power cable (red plug).

Add a parallel 12V BAT  between the BatteryMINDer and the AC BAT and the BatteryMINDer charges.

Connect the BatteryMINDer direct to the AC BAT and charging works normally.

QUESTION:  Can the BatteryMINDer tend the AC BAT without a 2nd BAT?! How?

JETmachine

fullsizeoutput_5ac.jpeg

RE picture posting: Can pictures be rotated on this site? How? 

When a post includes 2 or more pics, can the order/sequence of the pics be changed on this site? How?

Rotating the original picture on the camera 90* 4Xs and still having it post it here sideways, that effort is over. It is what it is unless there is an edit feature that allows changing the order and rotation of pictures after they have been downloaded to the site.  jt

You would have to wire this a bit differently. The way it is now will not work well. There is a solenoid with a pretty heavy draw that will mess with the battery minder logic. It is best to wire a little molex plug in parallel with the airplane battery. Don’t use the existing power plug and don’t use the parallel battery.

• Like 2

The Battery Minder will work well. It just won't work through the external power plug. That plug requires enough amperage to hold a relay open while it charges. The battery Minder just doesn't put out that much. The best way is to hook wires directly to the battery posts, but you will have to find a place to run the wires out of the plane. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, larryb said:

You would have to wire this a bit differently. The way it is now will not work well. There is a solenoid with a pretty heavy draw that will mess with the battery minder logic.  It is best to wire a little molex plug in parallel with the airplane battery. Don’t use the existing power plug and don’t use the parallel battery.

Roger that Larry & Don. Will do.

I was hoping to avoid another connection but the system worked 10/10 when the BatteryMINDer was attached to the BAT terminals using the kit's connectors. The point is, opening the panel to connect the BatteryMINDer everytime the AC is put in the hangar sucks. A separate discreet BNC for the BatteryMINDer will be a more sanitary installation. jt

Just now, JETmachine said:

Roger that Larry & Don. Will do.

I was hoping to avoid another connection but the system worked 10/10 when the BatteryMINDer was attached to the BAT terminals using the kit's connectors. The point is, opening the panel to connect the BatteryMINDer everytime the AC is put in the hangar sucks. A separate discreet BNC for the BatteryMINDer will be a more sanitary installation. jt

Some people run the wires up into the hat rack. But that requires running your power wire in through the door of the plane. I'm lucky to have an oxygen filler door where I can tuck my plug in. I think some have had success with sneaking a plug in beside the external power plug.

I have no idea about rotating photos, but some on here do.

45 minutes ago, JETmachine said:

When a post includes 2 or more pics, can the order/sequence of the pics be changed on this site? How?

Rotating the original picture on the camera 90* 4Xs and still having it post it here sideways, that effort is over. It is what it is unless there is an edit feature that allows changing the order and rotation of pictures after they have been downloaded to the site.  jt

Can't help you with rotation [@Marauder is our expert on that], but putting photos in order is easy. Upload them, scroll back into your post and put the cursor where you want the first photo. Then scroll back to the pictures and hit the "+" on the picture that you want there. Repeat for each photo. That should handle both picture order and location in the post. I generally put a blank line before and after each picture.

As for wiring in the battery minder, I don't use one on my Concorde battery. My first one "only" lasted 6½ years. So far, I'm almost 2 years into its replacement, and she cranks up strong and fast.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JETmachine said:

Dont rotate it on the camera or phone, use a photo editing program on your PC before you upload it.

I like IrfanView - for simple edits like flip/rotate/crop, you can easily get down to 15 seconds of editing.

• Like 1

1713155311_F8pn2rTTCOuScSZFMvjoA.thumb.jpg.a12e38b77e78a4ee02915f1734222bf0.jpg
(apologies-re picture rotation)
The BatteryMINDer is no-op when connected through the external power cable (red plug).
Add a parallel 12V BAT  between the BatteryMINDer and the AC BAT and the BatteryMINDer charges.
Connect the BatteryMINDer direct to the AC BAT and charging works normally.
QUESTION:  Can the BatteryMINDer tend the AC BAT without a 2nd BAT?! How?
JETmachine

fullsizeoutput_5ac.thumb.jpeg.c71490ef2036e03764667e0789aaa97f.jpeg

a91446342d6f780d6854dcbae8a39e75.jpg

If I post from my PC, half the time they are rotated. Someone once said it was due to whether the photo was landscape or portrait mode. Not sure.

If I post pictures, I usually do it through Tapatalk and they come out right. If you want to edit the orientation, I use an iOS app called Photo Editor+.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

Reading the bug description again, I think I know what is going on here.  That shore power plug almost certainly has a diode in it to prevent it from being able to drain power - this will stop your battery minder from being able to sense the battery, and so it won't charge it.  @LarryB probably has the best solution here: a dedicated connector for the battery minder connected straight to the battery.  Just make sure it's fused properly.

175KT went this route. BatteryMINDer works as intended. Thanks to all for your suggestions. Case closed. jt

Suggest some nylon spiral wrap. It just looks like it will chaff through in no time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, kortopates said:

Suggest some nylon spiral wrap. It just looks like it will chaff through in no time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roger that! This picture is from a Mooneyspace illustration.

175KT is wrapped,  tied-off, and fused for safety given the potential exposure of a short that could lead to a catastrophic electrical fire in the aft-compartment.

ty for the heads-up. (:

Edited by JETmachine
adding pictures, rotating pics is an issue.
  • Like 1