430W Navdata download problem

I sure would appreciate help in understanding if I'm totally hosed...

First time trying to update the data cards in my 430W.  Previous owner used Jeppesen.  I, perhaps stupidly, decided to buy the Garmin bundle with Terrain, Obstacles, and Nav.  Bought the $70 Garmin Data Card programmer.  Stumbled through all the software hurdles (I have an old Windows XP machine).

Managed to get the Terrain Data card programmed with terrain and obstacles, but no joy with the Nav Data!  While the Nav Data card has GARMIN molded into the plastic case, the SILVER label says Jeppesen at the very bottom (also has Garmin Corporation printed on it).  Is that why I can't program it?  If so, can I use the Jeppesen adaptor, or will that only work if I buy the data from Jep???

HELP!!  Please!!

32 minutes ago, MikeOH said:

I sure would appreciate help in understanding if I'm totally hosed...

First time trying to update the data cards in my 430W.  Previous owner used Jeppesen.  I, perhaps stupidly, decided to buy the Garmin bundle with Terrain, Obstacles, and Nav.  Bought the $70 Garmin Data Card programmer.  Stumbled through all the software hurdles (I have an old Windows XP machine).

Managed to get the Terrain Data card programmed with terrain and obstacles, but no joy with the Nav Data!  While the Nav Data card has GARMIN molded into the plastic case, the SILVER label says Jeppesen at the very bottom (also has Garmin Corporation printed on it).  Is that why I can't program it?  If so, can I use the Jeppesen adaptor, or will that only work if I buy the data from Jep???

HELP!!  Please!!

Hmmmmm, I'm pretty sure the 430 and 530 can only take nav data from Jeppensen.  The Jeppensen nav card is completely different from the other card, even though it looks identical, and cannot be programmed by the Garmin programmer.  I'm not sure what Garmin is selling when they say nav data for the 430...

1 hour ago, jaylw314 said:

Hmmmmm, I'm pretty sure the 430 and 530 can only take nav data from Jeppensen.  The Jeppensen nav card is completely different from the other card, even though it looks identical, and cannot be programmed by the Garmin programmer.  I'm not sure what Garmin is selling when they say nav data for the 430...

I have the 430W (WASS).  Garmin site is pretty clear you are buying Nav data for their 430W.  But, I am beginning to think you are right that the Jep card is different and can't be programmed by the Garmin programmer.

I'm trying to confirm that I'm now faced with buying a Garmin Nav data card, on top of all the money I've already spent!!

I should have just updated the nav data with Jep, and left it at that.

9 hours ago, MikeOH said:

I should have just updated the nav data with Jep, and left it at that.

Yes, two different options for 530/430 data Jeppesen or Garmin. You don't want to try putting one company's data on the other company's formatted card.

If you decide to go with Jepp just call them, don't try to do it on their website (http://ww1.jeppesen.com/main/store/). They freely admit it doesn't work. Garmin will most likely refund you if you call and explain your situation.

1 hour ago, LANCECASPER said:

Yes, two different options for 530/430 data Jeppesen or Garmin. You don't want to try putting one company's data on the other company's formatted card.

If you decide to go with Jepp just call them, don't try to do it on their website (http://ww1.jeppesen.com/main/store/). They freely admit it doesn't work. Garmin will most likely refund you if you call and explain your situation.

Thanks!  I appreciate the clarification; I wish I'd thought this through BEFORE I bought the Garmin bundle!  I'd read a few posts about people switching to Garmin for data vs. Jep, and naively thought there wasn't much more to it than buying from the 'other guy.'

I'm calling Garmin on Monday (looks like they are closed weekends) and crossing my fingers that you are right about them refunding me!  Then, back to Aircraft Spruce to return the card programmer.

Man, owning is so much fun!

Edited by MikeOH

I noticed this on the MAPA list:

Subject: [Mapalist] 430W Navdata, Garmin terrain card programmer, and Jeppesen Navdata USB Programmer for sale
Date: June 23, 2018 at 10:32:57 AM CDT

Before putting on eBay, if anyone is interested in some or all of these for the Garmin 430W let me know. Normal eBay prices for completed auctions, will save me eBay fees if someone wants it. Photo below.

1. Garmin WAAS Navdata card (IFRW) - $100
2. Jeppesen USB Navdata card programmer - $20
3. Garmin terrain and obstacle card programmer, USB, model 011-01277-00. $20. I don’t have the obstacle/terrain data card, it went with the unit I sold. It doesn’t have the USB cable with it but it’s a standard cable available everywhere so the price is low.

Mitch

You might e-mail him and ask any questions and maybe if you need anything you can get it from him.

1 hour ago, LANCECASPER said:

I noticed this on the MAPA list:

Subject: [Mapalist] 430W Navdata, Garmin terrain card programmer, and Jeppesen Navdata USB Programmer for sale
Date: June 23, 2018 at 10:32:57 AM CDT

Before putting on eBay, if anyone is interested in some or all of these for the Garmin 430W let me know. Normal eBay prices for completed auctions, will save me eBay fees if someone wants it. Photo below.

1. Garmin WAAS Navdata card (IFRW) - $100
2. Jeppesen USB Navdata card programmer - $20
3. Garmin terrain and obstacle card programmer, USB, model 011-01277-00. $20. I don’t have the obstacle/terrain data card, it went with the unit I sold. It doesn’t have the USB cable with it but it’s a standard cable available everywhere so the price is low.

Mitch

You might e-mail him and ask any questions and maybe if you need anything you can get it from him.

Thanks!

Just emailed him.

On 6/23/2018 at 11:26 AM, LANCECASPER said:

If you decide to go with Jepp just call them, don't try to do it on their website (http://ww1.jeppesen.com/main/store/). They freely admit it doesn't work. 

+1 on that.  Made the mistake of trying to sign up online - don't even bother.  Just call.

On 6/23/2018 at 3:37 PM, MikeOH said:

Thanks!

Just emailed him.

+1 on this one too.  My previous owner sold me a second data card which is extremely useful.  I can update via Jeppesen at home and simply swop out card when I go to the airfield.  

A little feedback:

I called Garmin and they walked me through the download...something had hung the first time and caused their site to think I'd already updated.  Anyway, no problem programming the Nav Data card from Jep with the Garmin programmer (in fact, Garmin told me if I wanted a second card I would need to buy it from Jep!)

Unfortunately, when I put the cards back in the 430W, it won't even boot!  I get some kind of yellow text error saying, among other info, that there is a "system integrity error".... arrggh!  This plane ownership thing is frustrating!

Garmin is saying it doesn't have anything to do with the Data Cards, but seems pretty coincidental to me.  They're saying I need to take it to a Garmin dealer; that possibly reloading the software will fix it.

Anyone had something like this happen?

11 hours ago, MikeOH said:

A little feedback:

I called Garmin and they walked me through the download...something had hung the first time and caused their site to think I'd already updated.  Anyway, no problem programming the Nav Data card from Jep with the Garmin programmer (in fact, Garmin told me if I wanted a second card I would need to buy it from Jep!)

Unfortunately, when I put the cards back in the 430W, it won't even boot!  I get some kind of yellow text error saying, among other info, that there is a "system integrity error".... arrggh!  This plane ownership thing is frustrating!

Garmin is saying it doesn't have anything to do with the Data Cards, but seems pretty coincidental to me.  They're saying I need to take it to a Garmin dealer; that possibly reloading the software will fix it.

Anyone had something like this happen?

Just a suggestion, but if you know anyone out at your airport with a 430W who would let you put your card in their GPS or their card in yours to see if either would come up, it might be one way to diagnose the source of the problem.

I do know from the experience @Hank had with his GPS, an older version of the software will give you fits with the newer, larger capacity cards. Any idea what version of software you have installed on your 430W?

56 minutes ago, Oldguy said:

Just a suggestion, but if you know anyone out at your airport with a 430W who would let you put your card in their GPS or their card in yours to see if either would come up, it might be one way to diagnose the source of the problem.

I do know from the experience @Hank had with his GPS, an older version of the software will give you fits with the newer, larger capacity cards. Any idea what version of software you have installed on your 430W?

Yes! When I changed to an orange label card, I had to update the software in my 430W as it would not recognize the new card.

No idea of software version numbers before or now. With my old silver-label card, the screen with the dates was blue with white VGA raster text; now it's a black screen with fine text in several colors. Makes it easy to tell apart.

Edited by Hank

Thanks for the suggestions!

I went to the plane and turned on the 430W without any cards...worked fine, thankfully!  The problem is actually with the Terrain/Obstacle card; with ONLY the Nav Data card installed the 430W comes up fine, shows current Nav data cycle, and warns there is no Terrain/Obstacle data; reverting to basemap.

Spent the last hour on the phone with Garmin (really patient, I will say!) and my reader won't even recognize the card anymore.  They also had me try the Nav card, which now isn't recognized, either!!  Wish I hadn't done that as I may have just corrupted the Nav card with a broken reader.  I won't know for sure until I go back to the plane tomorrow.

Local avionics shop MAY have a used card...I started this 'project' last Friday in anticipation of our vacation trip this coming Saturday.... I'm thinking I may be back to L-charts and sectionals!

Today's update....

I MAY finally be through this nightmare!

I have successfully programmed both Nav Data, and Obstacle/Terrain Data cards!  These are NOT my cards, but loaners from Mark at Advantage Aviation at Chino Airport.  I show up this morning on his doorstep with my tale of woe (he's NEVER met me)...and he spends a good 30 minutes, or more, to start his day by helping me!  My cards bricked his G530W!  Both the Nav and Terrain, even though I had previously programmed my Nav card successfully!

He sent me on my way with HIS cards so I could make my vacation trip this Saturday.

I just finished programming his cards in MY programmer.  So, my fear that the programmer was destroying the cards is alleviated.  (The programmer will not longer even recognize my cards; at one time, it recognized both).

So, what happened you may ask??

Well, here is my theory (and I am NOT, repeat NOT going to test this theory with Mark's loaner cards):

I have been carrying the data cards in my wallet.  My wallet also contains the gate card to get onto the airport (KPOC).  I am in the habit of NOT taking the gate card out of my wallet but just waving my wallet in front of the electronic reader.  My theory is that the field from that reader is corrupting the cards (destroying their formatting, not just the data), hence they 'brick' the G430W when installed.

The final step is to install in the G430W tomorrow...finger's crossed!