Anyone here flown an rnp approach

RobertGary1

This is the first I’ve seen these new rnp approaches with rf legs. Anyone flown these?

the idea is that they can have precision turns that allows for lower altitudes vs the wide turns we have with regular rnav approaches  

0E24DEDB-5AF8-4F41-9BB9-67E86A50DD22.jpeg

Edited by RobertGary1
Good

I haven’t done them in the Mooney but I fly them in the 737 all the time. Your going to need some extra equipment and an ops spec/authorization approval to fly most of these.

.1,.2,.3 RNP are commonly what you will see out there with more on the way as PBN (performance based navigation) becomes the way. LPV approaches have pretty similar minimums at most airports, just no RF legs.

They are pretty neat to fly in the terrain rich environments. We still have a few tailor made approaches into CYXX and CYLW specific to the 737NG/MAX that we developed. Thing of beauty whatching that terrain display as it goes LNAV/VNAV path all way to mins.

There are some RNP departures out there too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Yes, with the caveat being RNAV GPS Approaches with RF legs which do not require special authorization, just the equipment. For an example, see KCRQ GPS X 24. These require a navigator that supports RF legs and a auto slewing HSI. Which usually means a glass EFIS but doesn't have to. The GTN navigators support RF leg approaches.

Obviously the RNP is a tighter tolerance version that requires more equipment including use of AP & flight director, IIRC, and training. I doubt we'll ever see the RNP version in GA, but the GPS version has been available to us since the GTN's provided them - maybe a couple years ago.

54 minutes ago, mooneyspeed said:

Is the GTN capable of less then 1.0 RNP?

No.  From the GTN flight supplement:

"2.12 RF Legs
This STC does not grant operational approval for RF leg navigation for those operators requiring operational approval. Additional FAA approval may be required for those aircraft intending to use the GTN as a means to provide RNP1 navigation in accordance with FAA Advisory Circular AC 90-105.
The following limitations apply to procedures with RF legs:
• Aircraft is limited to 180 KIAS while on the RF leg
• RF legs are limited to RNP 1 procedures. RNP AR and RNP <1 are not approved
• Primary navigation guidance on RF legs must be shown on an EHSI indicator with auto-slew capability turned ON
• GTN Moving Map, EHSI Map, or Distance to Next Waypoint information must be displayed to the pilot during the RF leg when flying without the aid of the autopilot or flight director.
• The active waypoint must be displayed in the pilot’s primary field of view."