WTB: Hoskins/SDI strobe flasher for early M20/J

JRo

I need to find a replacement for a broken wingtip strobe flasher for my 1978 M20J.  It's an SDI/Hoskins unit, and I am unable to find one at a parts supplier.  Has anyone recently upgraded to LED and have the old strobes sitting in the hangar?

According to the Mooney Parts manual, these units were installed on serial #'s:  24-0024 through 24-1037.

Edited by JRo

12 hours ago, JRo said:

I need to find a replacement for a broken wingtip strobe flasher for my 1978 M20J.  It's an SDI/Hoskins unit, and I am unable to find one at a parts supplier.  Has anyone recently upgraded to LED and have the old strobes sitting in the hangar?

According to the Mooney Parts manual, these units were installed on serial #'s:  24-0024 through 24-1037.

I installed the Orion 650E in my J and still have most of the originals. Mine is the enclosed wingtip so it may be different. If you clarify what exactly it is you need I may be able to help you. A picture would be great. 

I have a couple of power supply's if that is what you are looking for.  If the lense is broken that'll be hard to find a nice one.  The lense turns yellow and becomes brittle with age.  If the bulb failed you can attempt to use a Whelen flash tube as a replacement.  The Hoskins tubes are not available.

2 hours ago, Bob - S50 said:

He is looking for the strobe flash tube and the clear lens that covers it.

The grimes piper tail light lens fits the strobe unit perfectly. A Whelen a640 flash tube works when you swap two pins and fabricate a piece to fit under it and hold the tube in there.  The old tube’s foam rubber base works well for that, cut down. 

2 hours ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

I think these are the droids that you are looking for.  Both new old stock Hoskins.  One in the box and the other not. Unfortunately they are made of unobtanium and will be sold only after my J is no longer in my possession. 

Jim

You taunt me sir... ;)

I am indeed looking for unobtainium.  I'll send the picture anyway.  Let the mockery of tow-bar driving skills begin.

Jeremy

MooneyBrokenStrobe-Wingtip.jpg

On 6/22/2018 at 3:49 PM, Bob - S50 said:

I think you should probably call it a good effort, give up, and go with the LED replacements.

Indeed... it was worth a good college fly.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...