Uh oh

triple8s

I would guess a dead stick also. That far off the runway and an untouched blade. Maybe survived the impossible turn?

When I look at the picture closer, it looks like all three tips are bent back. That might be consistent with a prop stoppage on landing with the gear up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Its a J model and so far only the incident/accident report that just says "Aircraft Landed on grass".

https://www.asias.faa.gov/apex/f?p=100:96:12169316330885::::P96_ENTRY_DATE,P96_MAKE_NAME,P96_FATAL_FLG:20-JUN-18,MOONEY

But it is being labelled as a accident,  with substantial damage, and  with pilot and pax both with minor injuries - hope they are okay.

I’ve always wondered, in the event of a gear up landing that you knew was going to happen would you pick grass or a runway?
Clarence
Someone asked that question in my college flying club in Texas when we had a "ground school" session for those interested in checking out in our F model Mooney....

"Where is the best place to land a Mooney if you can't get the gear down?"

Answer:

"Kerrville"

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

• Like 6
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, M20Doc said:

I’ve always wondered, in the event of a gear up landing that you knew was going to happen would you pick grass or a runway?

Clarence

Usually when I see such discussions the consensus seems to be that pavement is better, since it's more likely to be smoother with less things to catch, thump, dig in, or bounce the airplane around.   I suppose if one was very familiar with the grass strip in question and knew it to be very smooth, the choice might be harder.   I still think pavement is generally a safer bet, though, as long as it's not in crappy shape.

1 hour ago, David Herman said:

My heart breaks every time I see something like this. I hope the injuries were not serious and the plane will be repaired. @Tommy Please no morons should use this tragedy to discuss their (lack of) religious beliefs or political beliefs. THIS IS A MOONEY FORUM. 

Calling him names will only provoke a response in the manner you don't want to see . . . . If no one quotes his response, I won't see it, courtesy of the "Ignore User" feature.

Ya'll fly safe out there!

P.S.--for an expected gear up landing, I'll take asphalt or concrete over uneven grassy soil of unknown consistency where my lower prop blade(s), carb chin, fixed step, belly beacon, flap hinges, etc., may dig in, affecting my track across the ground and increase sheet metal damage through stuck pieces folding back, breaking off and / or wrenching their supporting structure. 

• Like 6

12 hours ago, David Herman said:

My heart breaks every time I see something like this. I hope the injuries were not serious and the plane will be repaired. @Tommy Please no morons should use this tragedy to discuss their (lack of) religious beliefs or political beliefs. THIS IS A MOONEY FORUM. 

David,

In your own words this is a Mooney forum?  Do we really need the name calling?  I’ve disagreed with people on this forum, I don’t block or ignore them because some of their posts contain good points which I learn from.

Clarence

15 hours ago, M20Doc said:

Clarence

Runway. Guaranteed smooth. Given that gear-up landings are (almost?) universally nonevents from a human injury standpoint, why add an unknown factor?

Of course, if it's a grass runway...

3 hours ago, Bartman said:

Runway at home if able, or location with repair services.  That's if I know ahead of time and have sufficient fuel. 

Glad you mentioned it. Services - maintenance and otherwise - is an important consideration.

I was visiting a friend who lives on a private airstrip. Gear handle down, no confirmation other than the increased drag (it wasn't a Mooney with the a mechanical visual confirmation, just a single gear light). Might have been the light. Might not. Might have been down. Might not.

Wasn't going to take the chance of lading gear up at a private mountain airstrip 80 road miles away from the nearest maintenance services.

All that said, I'll do my best to get the gear down if able.  Pretty quick and easy with the J-bar.  In a real true blue emergency I think that'd wait until the last minute, when I was assured of making the runway, but I would still try.

The safety pilot in this plane commented on the crash on Aviators Lounge Facebook page

Short hand description:
engine quit after going missed on a practice instrument approach. They have some other pictures with one of the main gear folded backwards.

It sounded like they got super lucky.

f1b0580892165959e7beb560b4da3e06.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk