Anyplace other than the cam/follower this metal came from?

RobertE

On my latest oil filter examination I found 2 small bits of ferrous metal - a single sand-grain sized flake and a single whisker.  The engine is just 100 hours SMOH, is flown often and lives in a dry (northern cal) climate.  Of course I’ll fly another 25 hours and take another look at the filter but is there another likely source for this metal other than the cam and/or followers?

It could be piston ring. They're also ferrous.

As others have said though, especially at only 100 SMOH, it doesn't sound like a big concern. Our engine is about 150 SMOH now. It's only been the last couple of oil changes that we've started seeing a perfectly clean oil filter.

-Some guy on the internet (read: not an A&P)

14 hours ago, DonMuncy said:

If you are avid, you can send the metal bits off for an analysis. The specific make up of the metal (as I understand it) can often determine where it came from.

I don't think there will be enough metal for them to analyze -- at least when my engine started making metal, I had enough flakes to cover the end of a round magnetic pickup tool and that wasn't enough for the analysis. 

I also second that it sounds like a very small amount of metal and I wouldn't be worried yet. 

Dang it, does anybody remember the link to the Lycoming SI about troubleshooting metal in filters?

The long story short--if it's more than a 1/4 teaspoon of metal, you worry.  If it's less, you just watch.

With the recent overhaul, it's not surprising to find some metal early, although I think (or guess, rather), that it depends on how many parts are replaced.

3 hours ago, jaylw314 said:

Dang it, does anybody remember the link to the Lycoming SI about troubleshooting metal in filters?

The long story short--if it's more than a 1/4 teaspoon of metal, you worry.  If it's less, you just watch.

With the recent overhaul, it's not surprising to find some metal early, although I think (or guess, rather), that it depends on how many parts are replaced.

This one?

https://www.lycoming.com/sites/default/files/Piston Pin Plug Wear Inspection.pdf

Clarence

I though the wisps came off the wrist pins.    In other news @Piloto posted once about pouring some 100LL and the end of an oil changes to clean out some of the gunk that gathers in the bottom of the engine.   I did that once and found that the oil changes have been cleaner.

5 hours ago, carusoam said:

Clarence,

I saved the link in my iPad... but could not find a way to upload the link to MS...

So I sent a ‘How to’ request to Craig...  :)

Best regards,

-a-

I subscribe to both TCM and Lycoming manuals and S/B’s through ATP.  Many are also on the respective websites.  Some form of method to add links would be helpful.

Clarence