iPad Mini4 vs bigger or wait for a the mini 5

Seth

Exactly. gopros are USB-C. laptops are USB-C. all the new phones are transitioning over to USB-C. The ipad pros are USB-C. Why not make everything Just 1 connection type.

Because many had lightning accessories, they weren’t happy with the new connector type. No matter what you do, somebody is not going to like it.

Tom
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, carusoam said:

a  real update, if you have been waiting using the mini 4... ‘near perfect update’...

You have no idea.

My beloved (yes, be-loved) Apple iPad mini 3 MH372LL/A (64GB, Wi-Fi + Cellular, Space Gray ) has been replaced with a Mini-5: 256GB, Pencil support, A12 Bionic system on a chip.

I am a very, very happy camper. Still has a lightning port, so all my stuff will play with it AND it has a headphone jack--again, all my stuff will play with it and it will play...

...ta, da! on the speaker system hanging on the wall of my hangar!

I had it engraved with 'HRM'.

I got the 'smart case' and Logitech Crayon today.

• Like 3

On 3/21/2019 at 4:01 PM, carusoam said:

If you have to look it up, I did....

Oscar’s new home drome....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilopango_International_Airport

Send some pics, Oscar!  :)

Best regards,

-a-

I am flying from Ilopango to San Jose Costa Rica on Wednesday. So I should be able to get you some pics from the flight and hopefully some video... Stay tuned... I am back on the ground.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Davidv said:

any other solutions that work?

I certainly wouldn't buy iPad chargers from Sporty's.

This is what I've been using for years, and it charges both iPad and iPhone together.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M6QODH2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I like it that it's a flush mount and doesn't stick way out of the panel like its trying to get attention or something.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Davidv said:

Thanks, Id rather not buy from sportys either but the few chargers I have tried can’t keep the iPad charged while using foreflight.  If that one works for you I’ll definately give it a try!

Thanks.

Max charging for an iPad is always 2.4 amps. This one has 2.4 amps on each port. Beyond that, it depends on the brightness of the screen. If I'm running the screen full bright, I don't think anything will keep up with the power drain. I find 2.4 amps will almost keep an iPad charged at full bright, but it will still be going down. If I reduce the brightness by about 25%, 2.4 amps will charge it just fine. Some chargers are only 1.2 amps which won't charge an iPad at all. Some chargers advertise 3 amps, but the iPad will only use 2.4 amps anyway.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gsxrpilot said:

Max charging for an iPad is always 2.4 amps. This one has 2.4 amps on each port. Beyond that, it depends on the brightness of the screen. If I'm running the screen full bright, I don't think anything will keep up with the power drain. I find 2.4 amps will almost keep an iPad charged at full bright, but it will still be going down. If I reduce the brightness by about 25%, 2.4 amps will charge it just fine. Some chargers are only 1.2 amps which won't charge an iPad at all. Some chargers advertise 3 amps, but the iPad will only use 2.4 amps anyway.

Thanks again to you and @mike_elliott, I just ordered it from Amazon and will also try a dimmer screen.

• Like 1

I got my mini 5 today. I did not order but have been monitoring the local apple store on when I would be able to pick up there. 

On my mini 4 GP takes 16 seconds to start and draw the screen with terrain and generally become usable. The mini 5 does the same thing in 5 seconds.

Larry

• Like 2

I got my mini 5 today. I did not order but have been monitoring the local apple store on when I would be able to pick up there. 

On my mini 4 GP takes 16 seconds to start and draw the screen with terrain and generally become usable. The mini 5 does the same thing in 5 seconds.

Larry

Did you get the pen? I have the first gen pen for my iPad Pro. Curious how well it works on the Mini.

16 hours ago, Marauder said:

Did you get he pen? I have the first gen pen for my iPad Pro. Curious how well it works on the Mini.

I got the crayon. Cheaper than the pencil, lightning charger integrated, works instantly with the mini (see photo).

The pencil is for artists and other frou-frou users (pressure sensitive tip). The crayon was made for kids, my wife is a retired middle-school teacher and it fits well with her contention that I have the maturity of a 12 year old.

IMG_A20CE5543034-1.jpeg

Should add that the crayon is orange on each end (easy to find) and is rectangular, so it won't roll off into who the F knows where when I drop it in the cockpit.

Edited by HRM
added features
  • Like 3

On 3/21/2019 at 6:44 PM, HRM said:

You have no idea.

My beloved (yes, be-loved) Apple iPad mini 3 MH372LL/A (64GB, Wi-Fi + Cellular, Space Gray ) has been replaced with a Mini-5: 256GB, Pencil support, A12 Bionic system on a chip.

I am a very, very happy camper. Still has a lightning port, so all my stuff will play with it AND it has a headphone jack--again, all my stuff will play with it and it will play...

...ta, da! on the speaker system hanging on the wall of my hangar!

I had it engraved with 'HRM'.

I got the 'smart case' and Logitech Crayon today.

On 3/29/2019 at 12:13 PM, larryb said:

Larry

How is the performance compared to the Mini 4? My mini 4 seems to be slowing down so I will be picking up a new 5 today or tomorrow.  My current mini is 3 years old.

3 hours ago, NotarPilot said:

How is the performance compared to the Mini 4? My mini 4 seems to be slowing down so I will be picking up a new 5 today or tomorrow.  My current mini is 3 years old.

The folks at sporty's have already sent out their PIREP on it at https://ipadpilotnews.com/2019/03/first-impressions-after-flying-with-the-new-ipad-mini/.

• Like 2

I flew with it today for the first time. Basically just faster and snappier and just "feels" better. The map screen re-draws much faster, almost instantly. The mini 4 takes a few seconds to draw the entire screen, you see it drawing sections at a time. The navigation wheel appears much faster now as well. That was one of my main complaints with performance in the mini 4, how long it took for the navigation wheel to appear when I touched on an airport in the map. The screen was clear and easy to read. I did not compare the two units side-by-side so I can't really say it was much better than the 4.

For non-aviation uses I find it is a fair bit snappier as well. Complex web pages are usable much faster. I always thought that was slow due to the internet loading speeds, but now I see the processing has a lot to do with it.

The performance speed-up is very noticable. I don't think anybody will be disappointed. My mini4 is now the backup in the flight bag.

On 3/30/2019 at 12:58 PM, HRM said:

The crayon was made for kids, my wife is a retired middle-school teacher and it fits well with her contention that I have the maturity of a 12 year old.

I should have said “kids and pilots”.

16 hours ago, NotarPilot said:

Frankly, I came to the 5 from a 3, and performance-wise running FF and FlyQefb all I saw was faster DL times. Where the 5 excels is in day-to-day activities and the fact that it supports the crayon/pencil.

• Like 1