iPad Mini4 vs bigger or wait for a the mini 5

Seth

1 minute ago, Marauder said:

I will tell you one thing about "deep" pockets. There was a stainless Apple Watch at the Apple Visitor Center with some sort of designer band being sold for $1500!!!

There are literally gold I-watches.

I am sort of really confused what's the appeal of an I-watch.  I mean who wants to charge their watch every day?  One more thing to charge - t keep charged - to babysit the battery status, to bring your charger on travel, etc.  I know it will be like 930pm and I will be wanting to get somewhere on time and my I-watch batteries would go dead.

I have a really nice titanium-case Citizen watch that is for real water proof (WR 100) (unlike many other "water proof watches" I have had that were not...) and it is "auto-wind" in the sense that it is auto recharge from solar in the face - "eco - drive" so you never change batteries and never charge it - and - it just...tells time.  That's what I like out of a watch - it tells time.  I don't need to wake it up, or choose from menus - I just rotate my wrist so the watch is in view - gaze my eyes upon it and read the time from my lovely analogue titanium watch.

On 3/15/2019 at 4:18 PM, Marauder said:

I was at the Apple Visitor Center yesterday and tried to pry out information on any new Mini ipads. Those guys must have been Russian spies in a former life. Not even a glint of a smirk or wink.

IMG_3654.thumb.jpg.ee06b8153733ec312053e3f70779d857.jpg

They probably don’t know anything more than you do. Most large companies treat wide distribution of news to employees the same way as press release. People with a need to know have seen the products and the details, but the existence of a new iPad mini probably isn’t known by the guy who works in the visitors center. He gets his news from MacRumors the same way I do :)

3 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

I am sort of really confused what's the appeal of an I-watch.  I mean who wants to charge their watch every day?  One more thing to charge - t keep charged - to babysit the battery status, to bring your charger on travel, etc.  I know it will be like 930pm and I will be wanting to get somewhere on time and my I-watch batteries would go dead.

I have a really nice titanium-case Citizen watch that is for real water proof (WR 100) (unlike many other "water proof watches" I have had that were not...) and it is "auto-wind" in the sense that it is auto recharge from solar in the face - "eco - drive" so you never change batteries and never charge it - and - it just...tells time.  That's what I like out of a watch - it tells time.  I don't need to wake it up, or choose from menus - I just rotate my wrist so the watch is in view - gaze my eyes upon it and read the time from my lovely analogue titanium watch.

The value add of an iWatch is just the ability not to dig out the iPhone when stuff happens. When I am sitting waiting for a commercial flight, having flight status updates tossed up on the watch is nice. As is getting directional information from Apple Maps. Those are the kinds of things a conventional watch can't do. But I agree with you about the charge cycles and the pain in the arse traveling with the charging stuff for it. I'm sure they are working on a nuclear powered model :)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

I wear an Apple Watch daily. I also have a few automatics that I love.

The Apple Watch keeps me in the loop with everything happening so I don’t have to keep my phone on me. Let’s me focus on family and I don’t worry about whether a client is calling, or if something is blowing up. It’s also handy to have that level of connection, but at the same time be unable to pop open a browser right quick and see what’s happening in the news or on mooneyspace. Helps me keep my focus on the right things at times. 

A little crazy? absolutely. Sad to admit publicly? Yep- no question. But it works for me, so I’ll stick with it.

Regarding the battery- my 2 year old watch rarely got below 50%. Just got a new one with cellular connectivity and it typically is about 60-70% when I charge it at the end of the day.  The battery is no big deal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, smccray said:

I wear an Apple Watch daily. I also have a few automatics that I love.

The Apple Watch keeps me in the loop with everything happening so I don’t have to keep my phone on me. Let’s me focus on family and I don’t worry about whether a client is calling, or if something is blowing up. It’s also handy to have that level of connection, but at the same time be unable to pop open a browser right quick and see what’s happening in the news or on mooneyspace. Helps me keep my focus on the right things at times. 

A little crazy? absolutely. Sad to admit publicly? Yep- no question. But it works for me, so I’ll stick with it.

Regarding the battery- my 2 year old watch rarely got below 50%. Just got a new one with cellular connectivity and it typically is about 60-70% when I charge it at the end of the day.  The battery is no big deal.

I hadn't thought of it that way.  I figure I already have an iPhone and it is trivial to pull out of my pocket if I get a text or something, if I want.  And that why would I want to be MORE connected than that with a watch?  But you are saying no, its the opposite, you stay slightly less connected since instead of pulling your phone out for that text and then oh what the heck you check the news too...you just don't.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, smccray said:

I just turned 40. That day is probably coming very soon!

Sometime in the next 2-10 years, you and your wife will be sitting in a restaurant and you'll hear yourself say, "If it was just a little bit lighter in here, I could actually read this stupid menu."  

That's how you'll know you're less than a year from needing reading glasses.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, smccray said:

I wear an Apple Watch daily.

I call the iMac Pro  in my office at work my Big Mac.

I call my MacBook Air my Mac.

I call my iPad my mini-Mac.

I call my iPhone my micro-Mac.

I call my watch my nano-Mac.

They all play together in the cloud--sometimes in real clouds with ForeFlight.

Yes, I drank the Kool-Aid back in 1984 and no, I am not going back.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

New Mini (Cellular) with the Pencil.  Ordered.

Disappointed we did not get the Pencil 2 but happy with the legacy support finally.  Apple said they would give me $135 for my old iPad Mini 4.  For me, it was not enough to justify trading it in... maybe $200.

4 minutes ago, Bryan said:

New Mini (Cellular) with the Pencil.  Ordered.

Disappointed we did not get the Pencil 2 but happy with the legacy support finally.  Apple said they would give me $135 for my old iPad Mini 4.  For me, it was not enough to justify trading it in... maybe $200.

Better than the $27 they offered me for my iWatch 2.0. They sure take your money fine, but have a hard time giving any of it back, don't they?

• Like 1

Boom - just ordered mine.  It will provide Foreflight with synth vision a very capable platform for the yoke. Biggest bang for the buck avionics purchase in existence.  My mini 2 now gets relegated to the right panel as second screen for charts and emergency backup.

I think I might hold off.  My mini (I think 3, but could be wrong) does internet poorly, but does everything else just fine including Foreflight.  I think I'll continue to use it so long as it works with FF.  Might get a newer full sized one for home use.