iPad Mini4 vs bigger or wait for a the mini 5

Seth

Don't forget about the Apple Refurb store.  I almost never buy new from Apple I buy from their refurb store, usually save a good chunk.  Full factory warranty and a second go-around with QC.  Last two MBP's have been refurbs.  Once lasted five years, this one is almost three (Mid 2015 15")

Screen Shot 2018-07-30 at 11.40.20 PM.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

From https://www.iclarified.com/67999/apple-preparing-to-launch-new-ipad-mini-updated-macs-airpower-more-report:
Apple Preparing to Launch New iPad Mini, Updated Macs, AirPower, More [Report]

Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has shared some predictions for what the company might announce at its upcoming special event on October 30th.
[...]
Notably, Kuo believes Apple will also release a new iPad mini with an upgraded processor and a lower cost panel. The analyst isn't certain if the new iPad mini will be announced at the same event or launch later.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Apple will announce their new IPads on Tuesday...

Expect faster speeds, sharper graphic detail, and better battery life... another plug change... screen going to the edges and facial recognition instead of typing in a password...

Its ability to multitask is getting better...

Not sure how these improvements will be used by ForeFlight etal....

Best regards,

-a-

Apple Special Event

Live from Brooklyn.
Watch on October 30 at 10 a.m. EDT.

Add to your calendar

7 hours ago, Deb said:

From https://www.iclarified.com/67999/apple-preparing-to-launch-new-ipad-mini-updated-macs-airpower-more-report:

Notably, Kuo believes Apple will also release a new iPad mini with an upgraded processor and a lower cost panel. The analyst isn't certain if the new iPad mini will be announced at the same event or launch later.

I'm no Apple fanboy, but I earnestly hope this prediction of a new ipad mini 5 is correct.  Those of us without tons of screen real estate in the panel really benefit from an ipad on the yoke, where a full size tablet is too bulky.  

• Like 2

Apple just announced new iPads.No new iPad Mini.

New iPad Pro - no home button but same face id and swipe gestures as iPhone X . . .11 inch in the same size as the 10.5. 12.9 inch same size screen but smaller over all. USB-C charging. Up to 1 TB Storage. 4 speakers - woofers and tweeters in each corner. New pencil attaches and charges just by touching the iPad.

• Like 1

I do still think there is a Mini iPad on the horizon, maybe early next year; they still not released the Apple Charging mat announced late last year.  I, too, was hoping for a mini that was able to use the pencil.  I'd love to be able to use the pencil on my Mini 4 today but appears I will just keep it.  I think the 11" is too big for my preference in the cockpit and for the price point starting at $799, my mini will do just fine for now.

I do like they are moving away from the lightening port and coming up to speed with the rest of the market on USB-C.  The fast charging capability is the future since our battery density problem is sill not much better.  The number 1 feature that every person would want is more battery life in any device.  Fast-charging helps with that problem.  Its nice to get 80% of your battery back in 20-30min.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steingar said:

They have indeed announced a mini 5.  Hooray!  One of these days I may even have the coin to get one.  I'm loathe to give up my iPad spot on the yoke.

Wait...where is announcement? I'm missing it...

1 hour ago, steingar said:

They have indeed announced a mini 5.  Hooray!  One of these days I may even have the coin to get one.  I'm loathe to give up my iPad spot on the yoke.

Tease!  no mini 5...  New Ipad Pros but no new mini, althouth rumor is that one is in the works.

I’ve been following the iPad Mini saga for close to a year. After reading enough to convince me that there won’t be an iPad Mini 5, I went out and bought a Mini 4 to replace my Mini 2.

Based on what I am reading, I really think Apple’s intent is to upsize the phone line to bridge the space requirements. I fly with an iPhone 7 and find the screen size is not too far from what I would want for a Mini replacement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

3 minutes ago, Marauder said:

I’ve been following the iPad Mini saga for close to a year. After reading enough to convince me that there won’t be an iPad Mini 5, I went out and bought a Mini 4 to replace my Mini 2.

You're not alone.  I just did the same thing about 4 weeks ago when Best Buy ran their latest $299 deal for a new Mini 4 to replace my 2. 

Cheers,

Brian

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Many people were doubtful whether there would be an iPad Mini 5. Since you've just gone out and bought a Mini 4 you have guaranteed that there will be a Mini 5 announced the day that your Best Buy credit card statement arrives in the mail. :D

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Yeah, my mistake.  Pretty certain there'll be a mini 5 next year though.  They have competition.

I am at a real crossroads.  My mini 3 is getting slow for lots of things, but still does Foreflight just fine.  Not worth it at all to upgrade to another mini until the 5 comes out.  Of course, I could just get a new device for home use and leave the mini on the aircraft.  Might yet.

I am happy with my iPad Mini 4.  It is just the right size for our cockpits.  

There is no way I would want to carry around a phone that approaches the size of an iPad Mini.  I think Apple will keep iPad Minis in production for a while, even as phones become larger.  Why not get revenue streams from 2 products if you can?

I am going to hold out on the hope a Mini 5 comes out Q-1 of next year. My wife found out the Mini 4 does not bounce so well.:blink: Had it repaired, but it is just not right. It is the backup iPad, so for now, it will work.

After fighting with lag on my mini 3 for some time, I upgraded to a new 9.7" ipad on the yoke.  It fits perfectly and the added screen size is nice.  I forget who posted the idea, but I used the Steelie magnet mount from Amazon to attach it to the yoke.  The ipad moves a little when banking and checking controls, but not enough to cause any issues.  It is stable in cruise.

After fighting with lag on my mini 3 for some time, I upgraded to a new 9.7" ipad on the yoke.  It fits perfectly and the added screen size is nice.  I forget who posted the idea, but I used the Steelie magnet mount from Amazon to attach it to the yoke.  The ipad moves a little when banking and checking controls, but not enough to cause any issues.  It is stable in cruise.

You got pictures? Curious how you mounted it. I had a 9.7 and using a Ram mount it just took up too much yoke real estate.

After a great deal of thought and reading all the (very useful!) discussion here I've decided to replace my (cracked screen) iPad Mini 3 with the new iPad Pro 11". My main concern was that it would be too big, hence my looking at the new large iPhones. Wifey has the 'old' iPad 11" and after I played around with it using my knee strap I concluded that the new one would not be unusable; in fact, given my aging eyes it will be a significant improvement during flight.

Add to that the 'Apple Pencil', which I have wanted for some time, it is practically a no-brainer.

• Like 2

After a great deal of thought and reading all the (very useful!) discussion here I've decided to replace my (cracked screen) iPad Mini 3 with the new iPad Pro 11". My main concern was that it would be too big, hence my looking at the new large iPhones. Wifey has the 'old' iPad 11" and after I played around with it using my knee strap I concluded that the new one would not be unusable; in fact, given my aging eyes it will be a significant improvement during flight.
Add to that the 'Apple Pencil', which I have wanted for some time, it is practically a no-brainer.

The pencil is great for taking down clearances and route amendments. I keep mine in the blue holder mounted above the attitude indicator in the above picture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk