iPad Mini4 vs bigger or wait for a the mini 5

Seth

Best buy is running that same deal right now. I just got another yesterday to go in my panel dock

I bought a mini 4 a few months ago on a best buy flash sale for $300. Wi-Fi only, 128 gb and it is a big improvement over my old 2. If you can catch a sale price like that, it is worth it.

Set up an alert on slick deals and you won't miss a promo.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

5 hours ago, whiskytango said:

I have been really happy with my Mini 4 - except battery life.  Even running only ForeFlight, with no background apps and setting screen brightness as low as practical, I only get about 4 hours battery life.  Since my typical flight is 3.5+ hours I have to plug in the charger, and then deal with the AF noise (it is an aviation - specific dual 2.4 A charger from Sportys).  I would hate to be flying hard IFR and arrive at the destination with no way to pull up the approach plate because the Mini was dead.  If a Mini 5 comes out with improved battery life I would get it.

Try an external battery pack.  I've had a lot of luck using Anker batteries.

• Like 4

So, I did something crazy yesterday and left the iPad at home (which actually wasn't deliberate...I took it out of my flight bag to charge it and forgot to put it back in).  But, that forced me to try something that I had been wanting to try anyways...which is to use the iPhone X on the yoke instead of the iPad.  Garmin (finally) released an update to take advantage of the full iPhone X display (ForeFlight did this months ago...I actually like ForeFlight better, but I also like the Garmin OnePak discounts.  Either way, that's a separate thread).  I had ordered the steel ball/magnet setup as recommended by @bluehighwayflyer and @Vance Harral, so I set that up on my iPhone X instead of the iPad.  I was hesitant to stick something to my yoke, but I'm glad I did...I couldn't be happier with the mount.

The rest of this post is going to sound like an iPhone X ad...so I apologize, but I was blown away by how much better the iPhone setup was.  I know this won't work for everyone, but hear me out:

1. Easier to read - The screen is much brighter and had much less glare.  Also, there was zero vibration (credit the mount?) so I didn't have to hold the device still to read it like I sometimes do with the iPad yoke ram mount.  Despite the smaller size, I could actually read the text better than I can on the larger iPad screen.  In fact, I don't have the resolution numbers handy, but it seemed like I could see more of the charts vertically than I can with the iPad.
  2. Much more responsive - Like the OP, my iPad has gotten terribly unresponsive...and it always seems to get worse when I need it the most (i.e. using scratch pad to copy down a clearance).  Any lack of real estate on the iPhone was more than made up for by how responsive the newer model iPhone is.
  3. Face ID - I'm on the iPad mini that does not have Touch ID...so every time I wake my iPad, I have to type in a passcode.  Yes, I could disable the passcode each time I fly, but I'd also have to disable my work email for that...just a big pain.  With Face ID on the iPhone X, I just have to swipe up (and yes, Face ID works with a headset, cap, sunglasses, and even a cannula on..I don't understand it...f'ing magic).
  4. Better panel visibility and knee clearance - I'll attach some pictures, but this is pretty self explanatory.  I keep emergency checklists on my knee, so there's better visibility there as well.
  5. Audio Alerts - I occasionally use Pandora offline mode from my iPhone while flying (unavailable on the iPad), so my phone is paired with my music input bluetooth gadget.  If I'm using Garmin Pilot on the iPhone, I also get the Garmin Pilot audio alerts in my headset.
  6. One handed brief - I generally pull the iPad off of the yoke to brief the approach (because of previously mentioned vibration).  With the iPhone and this mount, I can pop the phone off and brief with one hand.
  7. Planning - 9 of 10 flights I plan from my iPhone because I always have my iPhone with me...so the flight plan is already punched in and the downloads have already happened in the background.  My iPad generally only gets plugged in the night before I head to the airport, so there's a flurry of notifications, app updates, iOS updates, Garmin Pilot downloads, etc that seem to take forever.
  8. Night Vision? - this was a day flight, but I have to assume that an iPhone is better than an iPad for preserving your night vision.

All of this being said, keep in mind that this was a VMC flight..had it been IMC, I would have minimally wanted the iPad as a backup.  And maybe I would have reverted to the iPad to brief the approach?  Not sure, but I'm definitely going to start out with the iPhone setup on my next IMC flight and see how it goes.  Also, my iPhone doesn't want to pair with the GTX345 from the pilots seat...so I didn't get ADS-B info on the iPhone.  The iPad will pair, but it's pretty flaky...so that's an ongoing issue that I need to resolve anyways.  The flakiness doesn't bother me for weather/traffic since I have that info on the G1000s, but it would be nice to have backup AHRS for a worst case scenario.  At this point though, I think I'd spend the money on a flight stream 210 (or a GDL 39 to completely isolate the backup from the onboard systems) rather than upgrading iPads.

Lastly, there's likely a bigger version of the iPhone X coming soon.  For those of you that don't mind having a bigger device in your pocket, that may also be a good upgrade option.

IMG_0282.JPG

IMG_0286.JPG

IMG_0283.JPG

• Like 5

On 6/24/2018 at 5:43 PM, whiskytango said:

I have been really happy with my Mini 4 - except battery life.  Even running only ForeFlight, with no background apps and setting screen brightness as low as practical, I only get about 4 hours battery life.  Since my typical flight is 3.5+ hours I have to plug in the charger, and then deal with the AF noise (it is an aviation - specific dual 2.4 A charger from Sportys).  I would hate to be flying hard IFR and arrive at the destination with no way to pull up the approach plate because the Mini was dead.  If a Mini 5 comes out with improved battery life I would get it.

Get a power bank that you can charge up and is separate from your aircraft systems.  Use that to change the iPad in flight.

When my clock died I purchased the clock that has USB charges built into it and ended up with a new clock and USB charging ports on the left side of the cockpit.  I now wire up my iPad whenever it gets near 50%.  Not always needed.

-Seth

• Like 1

I could go back to the 9.7 form factor - I had an original iPad2 for three years (dropped it and cracked the internal graphics something - felt like an idiot) prior to getting a Mini2.

My younger brother gave me his original Mini a few years ago and I use that as a backup - very slow.

Maybe I’ll get the Mini4 to stave off two years at the deal at Best Buy right now.

I’ll try going to back to factory settings on my mini first and taking as much as possible off it to keep as many resources to forefligjt as possible. 

Many iphone7 is also a backup.

-Seth

On 7/4/2018 at 12:02 AM, Greg_D said:

There won't be a Mini 5.  The 4 is the end of the line for the minis.

I have an NGT 9000 in my 231 (gauges are still steam) and it's very convenient having my iPad mini mounted on the yoke for moving map, traffic, weather and approach plates (linked by wifi to the 9000).  But as I plan my panel upgrade I need to future-proof it for the next 10 years and I'm not willing to make Apple part of that equation.  

- The other iPads are simply too big.  

- I had my iPad shut off on several occasions due to heat

I think it's convenient to use but if it's part of critical information (like an approach plate) that you don't have anywhere else, it's dangerous.  

Edited by pwnel

On 6/25/2018 at 11:02 AM, aggiepilot04 said:

The rest of this post is going to sound like an iPhone X ad...

Frankly, I think Apple's plan is to converge the iPhone with the mini; i.e., replace the mini with a big iPhone. Technically, my Mini with the cellular option is a phone.

I would like a faster mini in the same format and a thinner, lighter and smaller phone. That said, Apple is not catering to me but it's own market analysis, which is not only extensive but far seeing. Apple comes up with things that people don't know they want until after they have them. I had to laugh at the outrage that occurred when Apple removed the headphone jack. Now no one speaks of it anymore.

• Like 1

There continues to be some nice android tablets that are a suitable size for use in a Mooney. I hope by the time the mini goes away that Garmin Pilot android version will have the same functionality as the iOS version.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pwnel said:

I have an NGT 9000 in my 231 (gauges are still steam) and it's very convenient having my iPad mini mounted on the yoke for moving map, traffic, weather and approach plates (linked by wifi to the 9000).  But as I plan my panel upgrade I need to future-proof it for the next 10 years and I'm not willing to make Apple part of that equation.  

- The other iPads are simply too big.  

- I had my iPad shut off on several occasions due to heat

I think it's convenient to use but if it's part of critical information (like an approach plate) that you don't have anywhere else, it's dangerous.  

I have the same set-up and I've never had my Mini 4 shut down on me due to heat (and that's in the Virginia heat too... :o) with this installed and running.  I have a Stratus USB port installed, so the X-Naut runs on ships power.  My iPad sits on the yoke, also running of ships power.

You can get them on sale for less then this, but you have to watch for sales.  Highly recommend this for keeping your iPad cool and operational - even in direct sunlight and 90 degree heat down low.

Of course, there are those that can build something similar at a much cheaper price than $179 (I think I got mine for $139 in 2016), but that's not me...;) 

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/x-nautipdm13-19503.php

Cheers,

Brian

Edited by flight2000

4 hours ago, flight2000 said:

I have the same set-up and I've never had my Mini 4 shut down on me due to heat (and that's in the Virginia heat too... :o) with this installed and running.  I have a Stratus USB port installed, so the X-Naut runs on ships power.  My iPad sits on the yoke, also running of ships power.

You can get them on sale for less then this, but you have to watch for sales.  Highly recommend this for keeping your iPad cool and operational - even in direct sunlight and 90 degree heat down low.

Of course, there are those that can build something similar at a much cheaper price than $179 (I think I got mine for $139 in 2016), but that's not me...;) 

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/x-nautipdm13-19503.php

Cheers,

Brian

I just point the pilot side air eyeball at the back of the yolk and my iPad no longer overheats.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KSMooniac said:

There continues to be some nice android tablets that are a suitable size for use in a Mooney. I hope by the time the mini goes away that Garmin Pilot android version will have the same functionality as the iOS version.

I don’t think that’s ever going to happen.  The Android platforms are just too difficult to develop for and support because of the fragmentation of both their hardware and OS.  ForeFlight looked at supporting Android when I worked there, and they figured out that the support staff would have to quadruple, just to support the Android versions.  Development costs would have been much greater too.  I actually have an old Android device with a beta on it.  It just wasn’t as slick as the iOS version and the project got scrapped eventually.

I don't disagree, but am still hopeful. I think the landscape is more stable now versus a few years ago, but I'm still on iOS (which I despise) for primary and android as backup...

The Galaxy Tab devices look like good options today, if the apps will ever catch up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, HRM said:

Frankly, I think Apple's plan is to converge the iPhone with the mini; i.e., replace the mini with a big iPhone. Technically, my Mini with the cellular option is a phone.

I would like a faster mini in the same format and a thinner, lighter and smaller phone. That said, Apple is not catering to me but it's own market analysis, which is not only extensive but far seeing. Apple comes up with things that people don't know they want until after they have them. I had to laugh at the outrage that occurred when Apple removed the headphone jack. Now no one speaks of it anymore.

I think you are correct. Phones are getting larger, "phablets," and there seems to be a market for one unit where before the were two. 

I wonder if Foreflight has any plans to adapt their software to any platform other than iOS.  They remain the dominant player for GA  as far as EFBs, and so many of us  CBs also use it as a de facto MFD in conjunction with the Stratus or stratux type units as our only ads-b in displays.  I'm sure the significance of losing the mini format is not lost upon them.  

1 hour ago, DXB said:

I wonder if Foreflight has any plans to adapt their software to any platform other than iOS.  They remain the dominant player for GA  as far as EFBs, and so many of us  CBs also use it as a de facto MFD in conjunction with the Stratus or stratux type units as our only ads-b in displays.  I'm sure the significance of losing the mini format is not lost upon them.  

There was some discussion of the possibility a few years ago with the strongest positive response being on the order of "maybe someday." I doubt it will ever happen. Couple of reasons but three come to mind quickly: the size of the aviation market and relative market shares of Android and iOS in it; the current and increasing complexity of the ForeFlight product; and the relative ease of iOS development due to its uniformity compared to variety in  the quality and capability of Android tablets.

We've seen a total of four crossovers. FltPlan Go! (which I personally still find to be limited in both Android and iOS); Garmin Pilot (which has less functionality in Android) ; WingX Pro (which is basically crippleware in Android); and iFly GPS. iFly is. IMO, the only successful crossover in terms of having a fully functional equivalent EFB in multiple platforms (iOS, Android, Windows and its own dedicated hardware), although with some limitations due to the way they approach it.. 

• Like 1

On 7/5/2018 at 12:31 PM, teejayevans said:

Does anyone have picture of a 9.7 mounted on the yoke?

Don't have a full picture showing top and bottom of the iPad, but here is what I see from behind mine. Mounted on a RAM mount in portrait mode. And the second shot shows the pieces making up the mount. The generic holder was purchased before the one for the newer, larger iPads was released.

IMG_3139.jpg

IMG_2948.jpg

• Like 1

So, what happened to me today? I went into a Verizon store to get a SIM card and they tell me that they are doing some sort of customer loyalty rewards program this weekend. They call up Verizon headquarters with my cell number and some guy who sounds like a game show host spins some sort of electronic wheel (I’m not making this up, I could hear it on the speaker phone).

While this is going on, the Verizon store guy says people have been winning $30 off of their bill, iPhone cases and stuff like that. The corporate Verizon yells, “we got a grand prize winner here! A brand new Galaxy Tab E with a case.

So what does an Apple guy who is a Cheap Bast$#d at heart do? He takes it home! I’ll load FltPln Go on it and use it as a backup.

a0867ce724f9c194f738096d499cbe14.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Marauder said:

So, what happened to me today? I went into a Verizon store to get a SIM card and they tell me that they are doing some sort of customer loyalty rewards program this weekend. They call up Verizon headquarters with my cell number and some guy who sounds like a game show host spins some sort of electronic wheel (I’m not making this up, I could hear it on the speaker phone).

While this is going on, the Verizon store guy says people have been winning $30 off of their bill, iPhone cases and stuff like that. The corporate Verizon yells, “we got a grand prize winner here! A brand new Galaxy Tab E with a case.

So what does an Apple guy who is a Cheap Bast$#d at heart do? He takes it home! I’ll load FltPln Go on it and use it as a backup.

Please let us know how you like it Chris.  If the mini 4 really is the end of the line I might just switch to Android.  

I wonder if Apple and Garmin share the same market analysis people.  Hmmmmm

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NotarPilot said:

Please let us know how you like it Chris.  If the mini 4 really is the end of the line I might just switch to Android.  

I wonder if Apple and Garmin share the same market analysis people.  Hmmmmm

If it helps any, I use an Galaxy Tab A as backup to my iPad. I have a few EFBs on it, but my go-to is iFly GPS. I often use it as primary and treat the iPad as backup. Pretty solid combination with no problems. 

• Like 1

Though I really like the Foreflight software overall, if the mini goes away, I might just put a Garmin Area 796 on the yoke instead rather than figure out how to integrate a full size ipad.  There is something to be said for relying on a purpose built unit in flight, and my growing familiarity with my GTN650 will hopefully expedite my learning of the Area 796s similar menu structure. I'd then have to swap my Stratus for a GDL 39 to get ADS-b in and change to Garmin Pilot as my flight planning tool on a full size  ipad, which would also reside in my flight bag as an in flight backup.  I'll wait until my Foreflight subscription renewal date next year to see how this all shakes out - I still vaguely hope to be given the chance to upgrade my ipad mini 2 to an ipad mini 5 in the interim and make no other changes.  

12 hours ago, Marauder said:

a0867ce724f9c194f738096d499cbe14.jpg

Good luck! I like my Galaxy Tab A with Avare installed. Check it out, it's free, complete with charts, georeferenced plates and airport diagrams (the switch after landing is automatic).

• 4 weeks later...

I traded in my Aera 560 for an Aera 660 with a Garmin rebate on top at Oshkosh.  I’ll get my AHRS backup that way.

My iPad mini2 is running faster again now that I’ve cleared off a lot of programs and will keep it for now.  Maybe Black Friday I’ll scoop up a Mini4 or by then will test the size of the 9.7 in the cockpit.

Will circle back in November to hear the current PIREPs.  

-Seth

• Like 1