Governor Options

Good luck, Richard, and have fun.

My suggestion to students when I was an active instructor was to do a flying lesson every week or two while studying.  There's less likelihood of burn out that way, you'll have an instructor to answer your questions, and the learning will complement each other.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Andy95W said:

My suggestion to students when I was an active instructor was to do a flying lesson every week or two while studying.  There's less likelihood of burn out that way, you'll have an instructor to answer your questions, and the learning will complement each other.

That’s my plan, Odin willing starting next month. One more bit of avionics in the panel and she’s done.

My hope is to do an evening flight or two in addition to stuff on the weekends.  Of course, after late October it will be down to only weekends.  Hopefully the Wx won’t get as badly in the way as it did the VFR training.

Flying in the dark can be a lot of fun for IR training...

training after work in Decembers makes it kinda necessary.  Unless the house is empty of all other living beings....

Also see the thread from @TWinter who has recently started The IR....

A good support group always helps... :)  go MS!

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

Two weeks ago my A&P took the Lycoming governor off my a/c and I took it to a prop shop.  When I handed it to the technician, the first thing he said was "That's an antique".   Not a good sign.

As was suggested by MS, the governor was in serious need of rebuild and had several ADs on it.   The estimated cost of overhaul was hundreds of $$ more than the cost of a new PCU5000, so we installed the PCU5000.  I changed out the studs under the supervision of my mechanic, which took the better part of two weekends working in a hot hangar to get done.   Removal took de-greasing and triple-nutting to get the old ones out.  I was slow and cautious because I was so worried about breaking them off.

Yesterday we installed the new gov. and it works just as it should.  I had a really nice test flight late yesterday after Tstorms cooled things down a bit. 

• Like 2