Flaps 15° for best rate of climb?

5 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I don't put the flaps out until I have the runway in sight on approach. I realize that if it was an approach to minimums it could get kind of busy in the last few seconds in which case I would probably just land with no flaps. Its not that hard.

Agree. Dumping flaps just adds to a busy workload particularly since extending flaps was accompanied by a lot of up pitch trim that will have to be undone while pushing yoke down.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kortopates said:

That’s not true about flap limitation speeds applying to full flaps only. Only a few of later model Mooney’s including the later J’s have a higher limit speed for approach flaps. But when this applies the flaps have a detent position for this setting, it’s in the POH and it’s in the TCDS. Without those caveats it doesn’t apply.

Which is one reason my approaches are flown without flaps since I am the top of flap range and sometimes above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any runway long enough for an ILS certainly is long enough to land my 252 without flaps. The one time I flew an ILS all the way to absolute minimums, I landed without flaps. On a non-precision approach, the ceiling would be high enough to work out flaps once the runway is in sight.

It's good to be comfortable landing at various speeds and in all configurations.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kortopates said:

That’s not true about flap limitation speeds applying to full flaps only. Only a few of later model Mooney’s including the later J’s have a higher limit speed for approach flaps. But when this applies the flaps have a detent position for this setting, it’s in the POH and it’s in the TCDS. Without those caveats it doesn’t apply.

Which is one reason my approaches are flown without flaps since I am the top of flap range and sometimes above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember this being discussed years ago... 

Airspeed limits are listed in Type Certificate (2A3) and do not allow or partial flap extensions. my '67F has pathetic low speed of 105mph.

Paul is correct, only M20J s/n 24-3000 - up have higher speed listed and specifically for 15 degrees of flaps. I would expect that to be described in POH for applicable year model but it's all readily available in TC if you care to look.

Mooney go fast because is slick. Flaps make Mooney not slick. Flaps bad. Climb fast with no flaps, keep engine happy. Happy engine make happy pilot. Happy pilot make happy Mrs. Pilot. Happy Mrs. Pilot make Pilot more happy.

Flaps bad.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1