Landing Light Wire

During my last trip we discovered our year old LED landing light wasn't working.  We didn't need it on the trip thankfully so we just left it off until we got back home.  We decided to take a look while we were changing our oil and the issue was immediately obvious.  The ground wire from the landing light had been installed under tension with no slack and had broken at the eyelet terminal.  The wire is a bit weird, it clearly is some form of high temp shielded wire.  Does anyone have a spec for this wire?

Never seen a shielded wire on a landing light, mine is just standard aircraft (mil spec) wire. Be sure to size it correctly for the load, I would size it for the standard landing light so if need be you could go back if needed

5 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

If you send a picture I can probably identify it. If it is original you should be able to get it from the parts manual.

I checked the M20J parts manual, I couldn't find any references to landing light wires, so I'm not sure where that would be written down (if at all)?

I'm not sure, but I think all M20's with cowl landing lights have the same wiring and those clasp-knife connectors, right?

1 hour ago, jaylw314 said:

I checked the M20J parts manual, I couldn't find any references to landing light wires, so I'm not sure where that would be written down (if at all)?

I'm not sure, but I think all M20's with cowl landing lights have the same wiring and those clasp-knife connectors, right?

I looked in the manual too and couldn't find the wires listed. 

With a plane this old, the landing light wiring can be just about anything.

First place I checked was the parts manual.  Nothing about the wire to be used.  I will obviously choose an appropriate wire gauge for the original load, but I'm more concerned about whether this installation is supposed to be a specialty high temp or fire resistant wire or something (since it's under the cowl).

I don't have a picture at the moment, but it looks a lot like this maybe:

https://www.mcmaster.com/#high-temperature-wire/=1ddl673

The wire appears to be wrapped in a (possibly) fiberglass sleeve.

Edited by druidjaidan

It appears your Mooney is few serial numbers in front of mine. Are you tied on a Central Ramp at KPAE?

There's not much info on wire in our SM or IPC. Electrical schematics for 67 model shows -13 as a ground wire and -12 as + wire for landing light. In my experience, these dash numbers are part of wire (harness) number and are printed on the wire. At least original wires under the instrument panel are.

Unfortunately I have no pictures and can't remember what wire I have on my plane (it's modified with two landing lights and H3 halogen STC anyway) but if you could find the part numbers on your installation, at least you know you have original wire and can order accordingly.

Starting at 1969, wire designation in Service Manual changed with more information including wire gage (Landing light is 12) however I don't see any specifics unless is buried somewhere in notes.

17 hours ago, Igor_U said:

It appears your Mooney is few serial numbers in front of mine. Are you tied on a Central Ramp at KPAE?

There's not much info on wire in our SM or IPC. Electrical schematics for 67 model shows -13 as a ground wire and -12 as + wire for landing light. In my experience, these dash numbers are part of wire (harness) number and are printed on the wire. At least original wires under the instrument panel are.

Unfortunately I have no pictures and can't remember what wire I have on my plane (it's modified with two landing lights and H3 halogen STC anyway) but if you could find the part numbers on your installation, at least you know you have original wire and can order accordingly.

Starting at 1969, wire designation in Service Manual changed with more information including wire gage (Landing light is 12) however I don't see any specifics unless is buried somewhere in notes.

Yup that's me, over by Northway.