'67 or '68?

You can find a few threads around here related to that particular issue... the first Fs were being built at the end of the year... same time serial numbers were being coded with the year... same time the automotive industry was using model years instead of actual years...

The first handful probably have a difficult time explaining what year they were built vs. what model year it was...

Another handful got pulled out of line after they got a serial number but before they were AW... they were mules for something...

They later got issued a new SN...?

Best regards,

-a-

15 hours ago, chrixxer said:

Someone I know is looking at a Mooney M20F. The FAA says it's a 1967 model, with an airworthiness date of 10/23/1967, but the serial number starts with 68.

FAA record is correct. You are mixing up a Year of manufacture with Model year. You have a 68 model built in 1967; that is apparently common in aviation as it is with car manufacturers.

The FAA says my F is a 67 but my serial number begins with 68.  I really don't care since the IPC identifies by serial number.  The question I have is, what POH do I need to have in the cockpit to be legal? a 67 or a 68?

6 minutes ago, tony said:

The FAA says my F is a 67 but my serial number begins with 68.  I really don't care since the IPC identifies by serial number.  The question I have is, what POH do I need to have in the cockpit to be legal? a 67 or a 68?

Good question.   It seems that if the FAA thinks your a/c is a '67, then they will expect to see a '67 POH.  However, given what @Igor_U says, it should have a '68 manual because it is a 1968 model.  I'm interested to learn if anyone in MS has a definite answer.

2 hours ago, tony said:

All the FAA knows is what they've been told. I have a car whose tag inside the door says it was built in October of 1991 but it's still a 1992 model year vehicle. Doesn't matter what the previous owner said it was, it's 92. Same with your plane--someone registered it as a 67, but by setial number it's a 68.