I flew into Victorville CA (VCV) this morning and saw my first Predator UAVs flying around the area. There were a couple out flying around, followed by some sort of single-engine Cessna chase plane. We were about 30 miles out descending into the airport and were being vectored around them. Later on, there was another one (without a chase plane) shooting touch and goes in the pattern. The last time we flew in there there was a pilotless helicopter flying around the airport. Perhaps our days of being needed are drawing to an end. Frown

I had no idea they were cleared/allowed to mix into public airspace now!  That is disconcerting, to say the least.  I'm not familiar with VCV or the area...is it at least within a Mode C ring?  I wonder how the pilots in the trailer are maintaining separation...

They used to (and probably still do) do a lot of training out of Gray Butte. It's between Palmdale and Victorville. I fly my glider out of CrystallAire which is about 8 miles from Gray Butte.

I haven't seen them but, I'll bet they've seen me Surprised!

The National Training Center is East of Victorville and they also doing training out there with the Army on occasion.  No mode C veil in the area and a tower is in the Class D airspace at VCV.  I'd bet the pilots (RC Drivers really) are talking with ATC at all times while in the area.

My wife and I had a funny radio exchange with Joshua Approach near Palmdale last year.  Joshua called out 2 unmanned aerial vehicles below us.  We saw them.  We acknowledged.  Then he called the UAV's and advised them.  It was sort of funny when a woman's voice came back and said we have the Mooney in sight.

I have not yet had the pleasure of flying around a remotely piloted vehicle (UAV) of course they still require a pilot at least today.  I suspect in the next few years these things will be flying patrols by themselves (I’ll be back "Terminator").

The big thing is we have more on the line when flying than these remote pilots do.  Heck, he’s not paying acquisition cost, fuel or maintenance.