Pitch trim install

Hello all.

How many of you purchased a mooney without an electric pitch trim? Did you get one installed? How much did it run you?

I currently have an autopilot with altitude hold, yet no electric pitch trim on the yoke for myself. My right hand is forming a blister from that trim wheel. I talked to an avionics guy and he was talking like it was big $$$ to get one. 

77 J

Edited by Fookz92

It would appear that this autopilot has an an option for electric pitch trim. I’d think that would be the least expensive and most efficient method to retrofit your aircraft for trim. The alternative is what you already know- A new autopilot with trim. 

3 minutes ago, Cris said:

It would appear that this autopilot has an an option for electric pitch trim. I’d think that would be the least expensive and most efficient method to retrofit your aircraft for trim. The alternative is what you already know- A new autopilot with trim. 

The alternative sound rather expensive here. Lol

Alan Fox recently had a system out of a 77 J on eBay. My 77 doesn't have electric trim but it hasn't really bothered me in 11 years. I might spring for it if I go for the GFC500 or Dynon or whatever else might be next.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

I have the STEC version stand alone electric trim on my current E, I did not have it on 49M which I owned for a long time. I do find it useful though, primarily when trimming nose up for landing. From down wind/base/final my right hand is operating the throttle, the hydraulic flaps, the JBar gear... I can hold my left thumb on the trim switch without interfering with yoke manipulation.

Apparently the STEC (Genesys) is still offered ~ $3500 + installation: 

http://sarasotaavionics.com/avionics/manual-electric-trim 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, carusoam said:

Contacts for used Mooney parts mentioned above...

@Alan Fox and Jerry @acpartswhse...

14 minutes ago, acpartswhse said:

I do have an electric trim  that attaches to the trim tube and has the bulkhead etc.  if this sounds workable i will post photos.  I dont have the trim switch

Maybe Allan has the trim switch that Jerry is missing and you will need.