My second annual

12 minutes ago, steingar said:

I didn't supply anything but the airplane.  The doughnuts were only on the nose gear.

Nose only brings in closer, but still a good deal. What was the shop rate (per hour)?

14 minutes ago, steingar said:

I didn't supply anything but the airplane.  The doughnuts were only on the nose gear.

Ah.. ok. It's still quite a good price on an annual. But with only three pucks on the nose gear, that's about $300.

In the mid to late 70's I concidered go to Spartans in Oklahoma (one of the few schools in the country) for my A&P, after more research I was making more part time as a motorcycle mechanic than I would as an A&P working full time. Most of the aviation shops in this area are still lower as far as shop rate compared to their counterparts, and the independent guys are even cheaper. 

In the mid to late 70's I concidered go to Spartans in Oklahoma (one of the few schools in the country) for my A&P, after more research I was making more part time as a motorcycle mechanic than I would as an A&P working full time. Most of the aviation shops in this area are still lower as far as shop rate compared to their counterparts, and the independent guys are even cheaper. 

Our local small engine repair shop (lawnmower and weedeaters) charge more per hour than our shop.

Ditch the yardwork and go flying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

My truck airbags were recalled again, so while they were doing that, I had them check a leak in the rear differential. They charged 2.0 hours labor to replace the seal, for the low, low price of $195. Bet the guy with greasy hands won't get 15% of that . . . .

I'm not sure how a published flat rate for an annual works out.  The first time a shop sees an airplane, there is a lot of research that has to be done before the first inspection plate is pulled.

OTOH, a shop that has seen a Mooney every year for the last 20 years can probably do an annual on it in a lot fewer hours total.

On 6/16/2018 at 9:06 PM, steingar said:

Mine wound up about $1524.

As Bob mentions later in the thread, I think understanding whether or not they completed a full annual inspection, should be the deciding factor whether or not you got a deal. A cheap annual doesn't mean a complete annual wasn't done nor does an expensive annual mean a complete annual was done. In the 28 annuals I have done on my plane, the quality of the annual varied from shop to shop and from IA to IA. 

Since your bacon is involved, you need to feel comfortable that the plane was looked at close enough to address any potential risk areas.  

22 minutes ago, Mooneymite said:

I'm not sure how a published flat rate for an annual works out.  The first time a shop sees an airplane, there is a lot of research that has to be done before the first inspection plate is pulled.

OTOH, a shop that has seen a Mooney every year for the last 20 years can probably do an annual on it in a lot fewer hours total.

I've used the same shop for all but one Mooney annual since 1995.  IIRC they did charge a bit more for my first annual, when they did a deep dive into my logs and AD history.  Since then they've charged their published fixed rate and added the cost of any extras that I've requested and/or they've added (and I've approved) on top of the inspection.  Has worked fine for me for 20+ years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlexLev said:

Do any shops pull the interior during the annual to take a look at the tubing? Even Don Maxwell doesn't..

We pulled mine the first year of ownership. I've had the side panels out several times since then for avionics and new interior. I check the frame under the windows when it is exposed. I suppose there is little risk since the insulation was replaced with closed cell many years ago. 

8 hours ago, AGL Aviation said:

Ditch the yardwork and go flying.

I like your attitude, sadly my neighbor to the east has a landscaping business, and the one across the street is constantly working on his yard so I have to keep up with them or get the stink eye when they catch me outside

1 hour ago, AGL Aviation said:

I like your attitude, sadly my neighbor to the east has a landscaping business, and the one across the street is constantly working on his yard so I have to keep up with them or get the stink eye when they catch me outside

Move to a "lesser' neighborhood :-) :-) ;-)    More time to fly and you won't have to keep up with the Jonses!

I gave up on yard work long ago. Haven't owned a mower in 20 years. Desert living means all crushed rocks in the yard and NOTHING to mow, trim, cut or water!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, cliffy said:

Move to a "lesser' neighborhood :-) :-) ;-)    More time to fly and you won't have to keep up with the Jonses!

I gave up on yard work long ago. Haven't owned a mower in 20 years. Desert living means all crushed rocks in the yard and NOTHING to mow, trim, cut or water!

Luckily it only takes a few hours, I like knocking it out on Friday afternoon, then waving to them Saturday morning as I head out to the plane

On 6/16/2018 at 1:36 PM, steingar said:

What did your annual cost? 

If you have to ask.........then............

Anyway my plane is always in annual.  I do mx (pay for mx) all the time throughout the year.  To make my life stress free I do not add up what it costs.....

Being stranded AOG just once in some place far away will cost you many times more than doing constant preventative mx.  I know I am just generalizing here but it seems most mechanics have gone to the NJ democratic politicians school of morals and ethics when it comes to AOG situations.

For example I just spent yesterday in Nantucket.  What would a AOG situation on a Sunday night cost me.  I would need to get a ferry back to mainland MA rent a car to NJ, drive for hours and hours. coordinate mx on a remote island with no real facilities....OMG it would be a fucking nightmare to break down there.  Or I could just spend a few extra bucks every 2 or 3 months and redo something with an overhaul or even get a 50 or 100 hour inspection during my 30 hour old change even if its just been out of annual. 

19 minutes ago, Jim Peace said:

I know I am just generalizing here but it seems most mechanics have gone to the NJ democratic politicians school of morals and ethics when it comes to AOG situations.

They are just taking advantage of what the market will bear, and you cannot blame them. They have lives and when you think of the amount of time spent to get the license, yearly certs, tools and parts, well, you can't blame them. Then there is the liability.

Either accept the costs of flying a certified aircraft or build an experimental with folding/removable wings that you can throw onto a Uhaul trailer and cart home to repair yourself :P

Just now, HRM said:

They have lives and when you think of the amount of time spent to get the license, yearly certs, tools and parts, well, you can't blame them. Then there is the liability.

What is the difference between a mechanic fixing an alternator or fuel pump on a plane that is based at that airport vs one that is transient?  Liability is different? 

when I was a charter pilot we charged the same amount to go from A to B whether it was arranged 1 day ahead of time or 1 month.  

I understand if I was asking him/her to do it at 2 in the morning but a fuel pump fix at 3pm should be the same price whether you are based there or not and many times it is not.  Long story short I have a friend who went AOG at Henderson NV and was told he needed a new alternator and etc etc.  He could have sent his mechanic out from Los Angeles to Las Vegas in a limo and had it fixed for less than half.....it was 6k for a less than 2k fix when all was said and done.

Just now, Jim Peace said:

What is the difference between a mechanic fixing an alternator or fuel pump on a plane that is based at that airport vs one that is transient?  Liability is different? 

when I was a charter pilot we charged the same amount to go from A to B whether it was arranged 1 day ahead of time or 1 month.  

I understand if I was asking him/her to do it at 2 in the morning but a fuel pump fix at 3pm should be the same price whether you are based there or not and many times it is not.  Long story short I have a friend who went AOG at Henderson NV and was told he needed a new alternator and etc etc.  He could have sent his mechanic out from Los Angeles to Las Vegas in a limo and had it fixed for less than half.....it was 6k for a less than 2k fix when all was said and done.

There will always be thieves, drive a Mercedes, you'll find out. You said 'most mechanics' in your original post. I just think 'most mechanics' are underpaid and when a fly lands in the web they charge full price as opposed to the "I want your continuing business" rates that the local, on-field guy may charge. 

That said, I agree that some take advantage and that is unfortunate.

Lastly, anybody that does any engine work on a Mooney (typically what is wrong when out and away) has to understand that charging a premium for labor is not uncalled for--they are a beyotch to work on.