Fingerprint damaged anti glare on my 530

FloridaMan

There was a fingerprint on the screen of my 530. Following the manufacturer’s instructions, I used a cleaner that did not contain ammonia and was specified as being safe for anti-glare surfaces. The cleaner did not damage the coating, but the coating is no longer present where the fingerprint was. 

So now the question: Do I attempt to use something to remove the rest of the anti glare coating and install an anti glare screen protector, or do I send it off to Garmin and spend thousands of dollars to have them replace an otherwise perfectly good screen? Or is there some other solution? I’m certainly pretty spooled up over this and I find it absolutely asinine that they would use such a treatment on a screen, especially one where the controls are right next to it and that you can be expected to be operating in turbulence. 

A quick web search says that you are screwed.

The best advice was to try cleaning the fingerprint with dilute IPA. If the fingerprint actually removed the coating the only hope is to remove all the coating and this will probably ruin the display.

This can happen if someone touched the screen while their finger was still wet with Acetone, MEK or some other strong organic solvent. Maybe even avgas.

40 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

A quick web search says that you are screwed.

The best advice was to try cleaning the fingerprint with dilute IPA. If the fingerprint actually removed the coating the only hope is to remove all the coating and this will probably ruin the display.

This can happen if someone touched the screen while their finger was still wet with Acetone, MEK or some other strong organic solvent. Maybe even avgas.

I generally try to avoid this sort of diction when trying to help people through problems. 

I performed a quick web search as well, and people said to remove the anti glare coating and install a screen protector, but that was for Garmin marine products and not aviation displays. I figured I couldn’t be the only person to have encountered this. 

Sorry for the course language.

It seems like the coating is some type of plastic coating that is best removed with acetone. The acetone will likely damage the bezel so it would be best to remove the bezel before you try this. It is possible that the display has other plastic sheets bonded to the glass, if it does they will be destroyed by the acetone rendering your display useless. It would be best to try this on a junk display before doing yours to be sure it doesn’t cause any harm, but you don’t have that option so you have to experiment on your one and only display. Therefore my original statement.

It’s a flat fee of $1400 from Garmin to do whatever it needs. I’m first going to try an anti glare protector without attempting to remove any of the coating to see if that does the trick. The damage is only visible when there is glare. 

3 hours ago, Antares said:

It’s a flat fee of $1400 from Garmin to do whatever it needs. I’m first going to try an anti glare protector without attempting to remove any of the coating to see if that does the trick. The damage is only visible when there is glare. 

I removed the coating on mine with one of those armorall wipes and then installed a screen protector. It made the screen look a whole lot nicer.The armorall wipes will remove all the coating without damaging the screen.

Edited by ziggysanchez
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Antares said:

I wouldn't let it bother you if it's not noticeable when the unit is on. Fly with it until you are ready to upgrade to something else, like a slide-in Avidyne IFD550.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mooney1 said:

Why do people feel the need to touch the screens???????????????? I see this all the time at work as well. I just don’t get it

Right!!!!  My last work plane had large flat panel displays.  They were not touch screen, yet it seemed everyone 'touched' the screens, the sun would hit the screen and suddenly you couldn't read the instruments but could see all the prints and streaks across the glass.  I started carrying a cleaning rag in my flight bag.

Now of course in my Mooney the panel GPS is touch screen along with my portable GPS and iPad.  So everything has finger prints all over it. 

• Like 1

I have a panel mounted GPS, the Avidyne 440 and it does not have any fingerprints at all.  That's because I use the IFD 100 Ipad app for all entry except for the squawk code and I use the knobs for that.

Bartman drops the mike and walks away....

• Like 2

I have seen it at work too... someone will be pointing something out with fingers or even worse a pen or pencil .  

Glad you got the anti-glare off. What method did you use to avoid damaging the screen? 

There must be some of the compound out there and available for replacement.  It’s propbably the same thing you have on your glasses...