Prefer the Right Seat?

I am sure that not everyone has followed my bad shoulder thread.  I hurt my right shoulder and, at least for now, am unable to swing the Johnson Bar without incredible pain in my right shoulder.  A hangar neighbor who is an active CFI, and not a Mooney guy, suggested that I simply get comfortable flying from the right seat.

The one issue that pops in my head is that flying from the right of a Mooney is more difficult because the panel is closer, making it more difficult to see the flight instruments on the far left while sitting in the right seat.

I would appreciate your sharing experience and comments.

Do you have brakes on the right side?

I suppose the pain occurs when you're raising the gear, not so much when you lower it? Perhaps your copilot could raise it or if you're alone you might consider taking off from the right seat and move over once you get the gear up and get stabilized with autopilot engaged.

21 minutes ago, MBDiagMan said:

Thanks Bob!  I had forgotten about the brakes.  I do not have brakes on the right.  Oh well, it was something to consider.

Yeah, and re my suggestion to take off from the right seat... probably not a good idea after all... you might need to abort and with no brakes!

12 minutes ago, Jim Peace said:

how does a back up gear system in an electric gear system work?  is it shoulder intensive?

Mooney's electric gear has "evolved" over the years and the latest iteration bears little resemblance to the first version which was basically a Dukes power unit to do the work of the Johnson bar.

On my "early iteration", the manual backup involves engaging and turning a hand crank located on the left (so it's the other arm!) sidewall.  Later gear used a cable pull system.

I have never used the cable pull system, but the hand crank isn't particularly hard to turn, but it does involve a lot of turns.  The achiles heel in the Mooney back up system is that if anything downstream of the electric motor fails, the backup doesn't help you.

1 hour ago, Mooneymite said:

Mooney's electric gear has "evolved" over the years and the latest iteration bears little resemblance to the first version which was basically a Dukes power unit to do the work of the Johnson bar.

On my "early iteration", the manual backup involves engaging and turning a hand crank located on the left (so it's the other arm!) sidewall.  Later gear used a cable pull system.

I have never used the cable pull system, but the hand crank isn't particularly hard to turn, but it does involve a lot of turns.  The achiles heel in the Mooney back up system is that if anything downstream of the electric motor fails, the backup doesn't help you.

Yep, the backup gear extension is an unfold and slide-to-engage crank like used to make our car windows go up and down, on the left sidewall. Mine is 52 turns . . . .

I've also never used a "modern" emergency gear extension, but understand it to be a chainsaw pull-to-start cord that also uses the right arm.

So my shoulder and I are both happy with my vintage all-electric Mooney. Plus I get to avoid all of that hydraulic maintenance (I've had my fill of hydraulic fluid at work . . . . ).

Summary?

What are the choices....?

long term...

Short term...

Full boat...

CB alternatives...

Flying from the right seat has some ups and downs...

Short term add ons...

Flying from the right seat....

• Need to get some brakes
  • Add Some instrument updates...
  • See @acpartswhse for available brake parts from the house of recycled wonders....
  • Have a JPI to scan all the engine instrument data on the right side? (My JPI is already over there)
  • Great opportunity to get a G5 or other All in one flight instrument for the right side... (can be moved later)

Flying from the left seat....

• See @acpartswhse for available electric gear parts from the house of recycled wonders....
  • motor, gear box, electric switch, and additional parts, and mechanical back-up system...

Changing planes...

• Go all electric...
  • Fly from the left seat...
  • Thank MSers for helping to spend your hard earned funds....

If this is only going to be a short term need... you will have to act quickly to get a new plane before the shoulder heals...  :) 

There is a risk that you will be closing on a deal for the new plane, and your Financial administrator will be watching you sign the documents with ease...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic or plane sales guy....

Best regards,

-a-

I might have missed it but I'm guessing it's your shoulder really hasn't had that much time to heal. It's always good to stay ahead of things but you might be jumping the gun here. I would get someone or two to fly right seat and show them how the gear works (auto gear) and fly your bird. You also might end up changing your technique for swinging the gear by slowing the motion down and/or breaking it up into stages that is easier on your shoulder. 

Thanks for all the thought and comments!

I got in some hood time yesterday with a fellow Mooniac on the field who has a Johnson Bar F.  He handled the gear and put me through the paces under the hood.  He retired the first of the month from his hospital helicopter job.  I thought he would have plenty of time to fly, but he has lots of other commitments.  At least when I do fly with him, he handles the gear with no trouble.

I go for an MRI Monday and back to doctor Wednesday.  I will try to start working on the next step after I see what he thinks.  At this point it feels like having a shoulder strong enough to swing the bar is a really long time away.

I hate to start over with another Mooney, and expect I will have to sink a lot more money in to get there.  If I do it will be a long body for sure.

Maybe you could transfer the brakes.  Right to Left.  I was just working on my Stinson brakes and can tell it would be a simple task if I wanted to switch them.  Not sure if it would be difficult on the Mooney but might be worth checking out.  I've flown my Mooney from the right seat doing pattern work and I didn't find it difficult including using the Johnson bar.