Doghouse Parts Source

11 hours ago, Greg Ellis said:

Air forms in Alaska made a new one for me.  Closer tolerances than the old one and I saw better cooling immediately.  Www.Airforms.biz

Thanks.  I'll give them a call (their website only shows E and J baffles).  My A/P can make the parts I need also.  I was just trying to save downtime byt buying them if there is a source of ready made parts available.  

Every now and then, the discussion about a good doghouse comes up and I will throw this little picture in.  In 2009, I underwent a major overhaul and when Clarence was done, this is how my doghouse looked.  Temps on climb out on hot days do not exceed 360.  In cruise at altitude, they are generally between 290 and 320.

5974063d5038c_Afteroverhaul3.thumb.jpg.d70d343e716a9ab5f45a3efe3d146102.jpg

• Like 1

Hector, the E should be pretty close to the C...

The E probably adds some space or access for the FI system...

Ned’s pick shows a bump where the spider goes...

of course... PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

On 6/16/2018 at 10:46 PM, acpartswhse said:

i have quite a few of these parts but there are differences.  need to know just what you need.  and a fellow mooneyite in sc has a complete set. 

still have lots of these   narrow deck and wide deck different

Hector, the E should be pretty close to the C...
The E probably adds some space or access for the FI system...
Ned’s pick shows a bump where the spider goes...
of course... PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...
Best regards,
-a-

Looks like they are a bit different. Here is a picture of mine taken a few years ago. The red arrow is the piece that is cracked both on the left and right hand side. The tab that goes down between the two rocker covers is completely cracked on both sides.

fa2dba0b48294ce4e9681412e210d9ca.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I'm impressed, Hector! There's at least a dozen screws on my spark plug cover, but yours only has eight!

That spark plug cover now has a half inch crack that has been stop drilled. Seven years ago my doghouse was a thing of beauty. No cracks whatsoever. Unfortunately they don’t stay that way for long.

• 3 months later...

Not everyone has an RV, though. There's a shop north of me in Adel, GA that builds little quick sport airplanes using Chevy Corvair engines on them and they will walk you through the factory. Round plenums all hand-laid fiberglass with smooth curves for perfect cylinder coverage. They offered to build one up for my Mooney but they you have the paperwork issue that David is running into.

Ok, I’ve had my F for 4 years and these are the first pictures I’ve seen of someone else’s doghouse... I don’t have that?! At least I don’t think so. And yes, I remove the cowling often.  I just have thick silicone pieces that seal against the cowlings to guide the airflow.  Temps are great.  What gives?? 

9 minutes ago, Ragsf15e said:

Ok, I’ve had my F for 4 years and these are the first pictures I’ve seen of someone else’s doghouse... I don’t have that?! At least I don’t think so. And yes, I remove the cowling often.  I just have thick silicone pieces that seal against the cowlings to guide the airflow.  Temps are great.  What gives?? 

You have baffles, not a doghouse. 

The dog houses were used up until about 66 I believe but I'm not certain.  MY 67F has the baffles.  I'm not sure what the reasoning was regarding the dog house versus plenum.  Plenum is a lower parts count and easier to remove and install.

Mine is a 67C and has a doghouse. Maybe production cut in of baffles happened mid year or something

My 68C has a doghouse with all of the problems mentioned here.  I think many if not all of the later ones had it too. I have some speed tape holding parts oc mine together at the moment. I had high hopes for the Sabremech cowl but may need some relief sooner.

2 hours ago, DXB said:

My 68C has a doghouse with all of the problems mentioned here.  I think many if not all of the later ones had it too. I have some speed tape holding parts oc mine together at the moment. I had high hopes for the Sabremech cowl but may need some relief sooner.

Hi DXB,

I wish my cowling was available right now but it takes an excruciating amount of time to get through certification. I’d be more than willing to fabricate some new pieces for your doghouse if you need them to get by until my cowling is available if that would help, while you wait for my cowling? 

Thanks,

David

1 hour ago, Sabremech said:

Hi DXB,

I wish my cowling was available right now but it takes an excruciating amount of time to get through certification. I’d be more than willing to fabricate some new pieces for your doghouse if you need them to get by until my cowling is available if that would help, while you wait for my cowling? 

Thanks,

David

Thanks very much David- I may have to take you up on it depending on how my shop wants to deal with the issues during my upcoming November annual. I'm hopeful that a couple of simple patches might temporize, in which case you have more important work on your plate ;)   I've no doubt the design and particularly the certification issues you face are excruciating, and the whole vintage community is grateful to you for taking them on.

• Like 2

• 5 years later...

Reviving this topic... my 1965 M20E doghouse is falling apart. Cracks all over the place, holes, etc. I'd like to just start over with new, I checked out LASAR which had a ton of baffling parts thinking oh sweet, they have a lot I bet they have... nope, not a single one of my P/N from the Mooney catalog. I reached out to Airforms mentioned earlier in this thread and they say they only make it for the J and would not make one for my M20E. 

Anyone have any new sources in the last 5 years? :(

39 minutes ago, TheAv8r said:

Reviving this topic... my 1965 M20E doghouse is falling apart. Cracks all over the place, holes, etc. I'd like to just start over with new, I checked out LASAR which had a ton of baffling parts thinking oh sweet, they have a lot I bet they have... nope, not a single one of my P/N from the Mooney catalog. I reached out to Airforms mentioned earlier in this thread and they say they only make it for the J and would not make one for my M20E. 

Are you saying that Lasar doesn't list or carry your 1965 parts at all?  Or are you saying that they list your parts but are out of stock at Lasar?   Did you call Lasar to actually verify?

3 hours ago, 1980Mooney said:

Are you saying that Lasar doesn't list or carry your 1965 parts at all?  Or are you saying that they list your parts but are out of stock at Lasar?   Did you call Lasar to actually verify?

They don’t list the parts at all. They have doghouse parts but nothing that matches the P/N from mine. I have not called them yet but in the past when I’ve called and the part wasn’t listed on their website they’ve told me they didn’t have it. 

5 hours ago, TheAv8r said:

A half way decent A&P can fabricate new doghouse pieces in about a day (maybe 2).  Hopefully yours is willing to take on the project.  You’ll probably save money on it, too.