Doghouse Parts Source

Anyone know who is manufacturing doghouse kits or parts.  Mine has developed 2 large cracks and has already been repaired several times over 20 years.  These latest cracks can be repaired as well but probably best just to replace or manufacture the part at this point.  My A&P can make the parts but if someone is selling these it might be the faster route.  He is already checking with Lasar and Don Maxwell but if anyone knows any other suppliers I would appreciate some input.  I remember reading here about a supplier of new doghouse's but my search was not successful. Thanks   

I just keep repairing mine. Haven't heard of anyone selling new ones . . . But I'm watching @Sabremech 's new intake closely, as it replaces the doghouse with baffles. Getting a good sheet metal guy to make replacement doghouse parts would be quite an accomplishment (I've tried without results . . . . ).

1 hour ago, Hank said:

Getting a good sheet metal guy to make replacement doghouse parts would be quite an accomplishment (I've tried without results . . . . ).

A good sheet metal guy would have no problem making any or all of the doghouse, the problem would be finding them, there are 2 at T65 but both are retired and it's hard to motivate them (even with cash)

8 minutes ago, RLCarter said:

A good sheet metal guy would have no problem making any or all of the doghouse, the problem would be finding them, there are 2 at T65 but both are retired and it's hard to motivate them (even with cash)

Yep, that's exactly what I found!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hector said:

Anyone know who is manufacturing doghouse kits or parts.  Mine has developed 2 large cracks and has already been repaired several times over 20 years.  These latest cracks can be repaired as well but probably best just to replace or manufacture the part at this point.  My A&P can make the parts but if someone is selling these it might be the faster route.  He is already checking with Lasar and Don Maxwell but if anyone knows any other suppliers I would appreciate some input.  I remember reading here about a supplier of new doghouse's but my search was not successful. Thanks   

Hi Hector,

I may have some of my baffling that I removed for my cowl mod. I'll check tomorrow. It's not in too bad of shape. What parts do you need? I might be able to make you new ones if mine are in marginal shape. E-mail is sabremech at gmail.com

Thanks,

David

• Like 2

Hi Hector,
I may have some of my baffling that I removed for my cowl mod. I'll check tomorrow. It's not in too bad of shape. What parts do you need? I might be able to make you new ones if mine are in marginal shape. E-mail is sabremech at gmail.com
Thanks,
David

David, I’ll get you some part numbers in the morning. Basically I need the two side pieces that go around the rocker arms.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, acpartswhse said:

i got some but don't know what a doghouse is.  poodle size or doberman?

O360 size...

Dog House=sheetmetal box around the engine that controls airflow past the cylinders...

Lots of sheet metal, that doesn’t age perfectly well...

Prone to long cracks....

Best regards,

-a-

15 hours ago, Hector said:

David, I’ll get you some part numbers in the morning. Basically I need the two side pieces that go around the rocker arms.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Hector,

Apparently I disposed of the old doghouse parts on mine. I can make some new ones for you, but I would need yours as a pattern. 

Thanks,

David

16 hours ago, carusoam said:

O360 size...

Dog House=sheetmetal box around the engine that controls airflow past the cylinders...

Lots of sheet metal, that doesn’t age perfectly well...

Prone to long cracks....

Best regards,

-a-

Like this (before two resurrections):

2012-10-11_18-15-47_37.thumb.jpg.fdf03503c8f53309ecc02aad54924e8b.jpg

2012-10-11_18-15-55_229.thumb.jpg.f10d7e9769c7bb992c4752bd90e826d3.jpg

• Like 1

This interests me.  On one thread someone gives me static for doing a little computer coding, but then certified mechanics have a hard time taking 15 minutes to scribe and cut some aluminum.   color me confused.

7 hours ago, Yetti said:

This interests me.  On one thread someone gives me static for doing a little computer coding, but then certified mechanics have a hard time taking 15 minutes to scribe and cut some aluminum.   color me confused.

It’s much longer than 15 minutes to make these parts. Probably would take the better part of a day if there’s multiple parts that require riveting. 

David

10 hours ago, Sabremech said:

It’s much longer than 15 minutes to make these parts. Probably would take the better part of a day if there’s multiple parts that require riveting. 

David

For the piece with nasty tear in picture it is two flat pieces riveted together.  For the other pieces you have a pattern

1 hour ago, Yetti said:

For the piece with nasty tear in picture it is two flat pieces riveted together.  For the other pieces you have a pattern

Actually, its three pieces, there's another one on the bottom. They capture the edge of the doghouse when assembled. The bottom piece wears badly on the edge as it slides in and out, splitting and cracking.

Edited by Hank

1 hour ago, Yetti said:

Ok, disassemble old parts, cut new pieces, debur edges, drill, debur holes, dimple rivet holes if necessary, rivet parts together. 15 minutes? I don’t think so. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sabremech said:

Ok, disassemble old parts, cut new pieces, debur edges, drill, debur holes, dimple rivet holes if necessary, rivet parts together. 15 minutes? I don’t think so. 

2 hrs per side is my guess