G5 went nuts

I was out doing IFR currency last night. My flight instructor said that it wouldn't be a proper IPC unless I did a few steep turns under the hood. I was doing a left 360 at 45 deg. I was about 2/3 through it watching the heading bug come back to the top of the G5 HSI when the thing flashed off and came back up in PFD mode! That kind of screwed up my steep turn. I had it nailed, but I'm not used to looking at the heading display on the PFD so I blew through my rollout.

I hope it doesn't make a habit of doing that. It may be the heat. It was 95 at 5000 feet.

On 6/15/2018 at 10:01 PM, thinwing said:

Just asking,why did your instructor think steep turns (non standard rate)would be part of ipc curriculum.?Was he teaching unusual attitudes?Turbulence induced recoveries?

Because I was flying too good and he had to get me to where I wasn’t flying so good.

He has actually been one of my best friends for 30 years. We have been screwing with each other the whole time.

And the last time he gave me a BFR he pulled out the commercial PTS and gave me a commercial check ride. It’s all good, it never hurts to be challenged once in a while.

Edited by N201MKTurbo
  • Like 1