M20k rear bench seat

You can remove those bolts and the butt cushion and it will fold forward, but it will prevent your front seats from sliding full aft, so getting in and it will be a bit more difficult. You might have to push the side panels out while folding it to clear the arm rests too.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

My 1980 231k looks likes bolts.. they are, but they are into "J" hooks that swivel up to the side.  Instead of needing to completely remove them,  its just a loosen and spin up.  I have two seat cushions that are Velcro'd down.  they come up easily enough.  But, I also unclick the seatbelts because they might damage the rear when folded down.  Also the rear seat is held in on the bottom by a round .(???). thing on either side that slides into a track making removal real easy.. However, a total pain in the A** to slide back in.  I stopped removing it and just fold it down when needed.

On 6/14/2018 at 8:42 AM, Antares said:

My 1981 Rocket has bolts that secure the back of the rear bench seat. Is there anything that allows the seat to fold or come out? 

I modified my back seat to be able to fold down.  The title of the post is “1980 K 231 Rear Seat Removal” if you want to search the title.  PM me and I can also send a PDF if still interested 

On 6/23/2018 at 1:27 PM, Stnelson903 said:

What about a 1978 231?   Any tips on taking the back seat out or just the rear seat back?

Technically there aren't any 1978 231's, although your airworthiness certificate may have a 1978 date on it. Mooney considered them all 1979 models.

I think the bench seats ended in 1981 and the separate fold down back "bucket" seats started in 1982 if I remember correctly. I used to have an '83 231.

3 hours ago, Stnelson903 said:

Try telling that to the faa during registration. Dec 78 is not 79’. Lol. I’m totally with you on it should be a 79.
Now, how to get the back seat or seat back out?

Don't confuse Date of Manufacture with Model year. Its just like cars, manufacturing of 79 models began in the fall/winter of '78. Your FAA registration doesn't list Model year, only manufacture date.

There was an STC for the 231 to modify earlier bench seats to fold down - i had it done to a prior 231. I can't recall who's but expect a call to LASAR would be fruitful.