Cost for a factory new IO-360 for a J

smlynarczyk

1 hour ago, jaylw314 said:

So that type of failure sounds like manufacturing defect rather than just wear over time?

Is this the sort of thing that would require opening the crankcase to detect, or would it be detectable with the cylinder off?

I believe you could measure the stretch with just a cylinder off. I had 1050 since factory new (not reman) so you’d have to do it much sooner than midtime. 

-Robert 

5 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

Source that you can’t take a dataplate off a chunk of metal and build a new engine and attach that dataplate?

-Robert 

Yes.

I’m saying you can order one of each piece from the Lycoming parts catalog and put that data plate on the new sump, then bolt the sump to the new collection of parts and is still 2100 since time in service and zero since major overhaul.  If not then what is the minimum collection of Parts that must be retained with the data plate? Oil sump, the crankcase, or the crankshaft, or all of those or what ? 

My engine just got sent back from the overhauler after a repair as necessary. Basically everything  but the crankshaft and oil sump was replaced. So what has 2900 hours on it anyway?  The log still shows that, and 500 smoh as well. 

Edited by jetdriven
  • Like 2