Touch Up Paint

Tommy

First of all find paint code it was painted in if logged.If not remove appropriate inspection cover /avionics bay hatch for color matching.Use correct hardener and IR a simple chip repair ,apply by brush.For perfect repair buildup enough by brush and wait two weeks.Color sand with wet/dry 400/600 production paper till flush.Larger repairs need panel lines..

Funny you bring this up,  I have been trying to get the Corona CA paint shop to send me or direct me a way to get some touch up.  They painted my plane and it is close to impossible for them to answer the phone or email.

I will now bring an old part that has some of my paint on it to a auto paint shop to see if they can match it.

I would do some research.

I am sure they can match the color but chances are automotive paint differ from typical Jet Glo or Acry Glo  topcoat systems used on GA airplanes.

You should have an info about pain and color used in your logbooks and is pained recently color should match.

I am surprised about paint shop in Corona not responding, though. Back in a day when I was collecting quotes for my plane's paint job, they were very responsive with great package and pictures. It was they who told me that regardless on who I chose, N-number slope should follow the Mooney tail, sloping forward.

Finishmaster sells Nason full-thane 2K urethane which can be mixed with catalyzer and brushed on to small chips. Have an access panel scanned. But for some weird reason O’Reilly automotive cannot scan match a color worth a hoot but Finishmaster gets it dead  on every time.

Edited by jetdriven

• 1 year later...

I just found this older thread as I need to fix some chipping on my vertical and horizontal stabs.  I guess I need to slow down.  I can’t seem to find my paint color and while I can take it to finish masters, I’m curious if anyone else with the same color scheme has used a good touch up/kit method.  See picture of paint scheme below:

11852105-024A-4A55-8B47-3BABE87797BC.png

on my 75 the codes were in the manual.   The paint shop I took the codes to gave me a deer in the headlights look. i even asked to check their books.   Nada nothing. no cross match that I could find.

Realizing the interior was done in antique moss....   a color that should never had seen the light of day.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Davidv said:

I just found this older thread as I need to fix some chipping on my vertical and horizontal stabs.  I guess I need to slow down.  I can’t seem to find my paint color and while I can take it to finish masters, I’m curious if anyone else with the same color scheme has used a good touch up/kit method.  See picture of paint scheme below:

Find the local auto body paint supplier and take an inspection plate to them. They can match most anything, of any age and amount of fading. My guy in WV wasn't fased when I told him to be careful, they were off an airplane and would be expensive to replace, because he did the local hospital helicopter, too. My plane has 5 colors, I took several plates and had to leave them . . . 

1 hour ago, Davidv said:

We match paint all the time for my dealership.  A good paint supply auto parts store will usually have a "Prophet Color Matching Computer" .  Works great for paint that has faded a bit and using the original paint code likely will not give you a good match.  Our local NAPA store, selling PPG Paints, uses this machine A LOT, and only charges for the actual paint, not scanning for the proper color codes.

This link MAY work.  Otherwise just check with your local store.  We've gotten small pint containers.

http://www.ourlocalguide.com/cy/id25.htm

Tom

• Like 2

There are two types of paints used by Mooney... acrylic and urethanes?

Many color codes used over the years...

The details can often be found in the maintenance manual, and more specifically in your planes airframe log... check the early pages...

Know what chemistry your plane’s Paint got... then use color matching computer on an access panel...

Its amazing how fast the scan and a container of paint can be mixed up matching the panel you brought in...

For really expensive paint matching... go back to the shop that painted your plane...   :)

Best regards,

-a-

13 hours ago, Davidv said:

The first page of your Airframe Logbook should have the paint codes.

1713620258_ScreenShot2019-08-03at8_06_04AM.thumb.png.1144292324f7bd98525c42e61444d5e9.png

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RLCarter said:

+1 for taking an inspection plate and have it matched,  be sure and ask for a single shot paint as most all auto paints today are base coat clear coat. 

Someone around here (Airparts in FXE) recommended going to a marine paint place to have that done.  They don’t have aviation paint but heavy duty marine grade which others have used in the past for touch up and I suppose would work?