Wife’s pic

INA201

It was too cloudy coming across Georgia into western Carolina to take pictures. My first landing attempt at AVL ("cleared to land #2 behind the RJ") ended in a go around because I was descending 800-1000 fpm the last 8 miles but by 1nm out had the right PAPI lights, flaps and gear up, at 150 mph. No way to land . . . The next time was much better.

Coming past Atlanta at 9500 msl, Approach told me "maintain VFR and stay out of the Bravo." I asked if it wouldn't be less crowded going straight through and got not only several repeated "no's" but also a snort or two. Then she made me descend to 7500 crossing the entry gate (ATL was landing to the east, I diverted around the Bravo to the north on the west side) although I saw no crossing traffic inbound to ATL.

Then I paralleled a line of moderate to severe precipitation where the buildups were very obvious but I couldn't see anything coming out the bottom (but inside those cliuds was not somewhere I wanted to be). Thus I was high and close on descent into AVL . . .

But it worked out fine. Looks like we will have good weather for the (outdoor) wedding tomorrow evening. 

On 6/15/2018 at 4:20 PM, MyNameIsNobody said:

My traffic on iPad has been a negative for my wife.  She spots it on screen and I explain there is a 1500’ separation, but she is freaking out until I spot or the converge is past...

You must have super peepers. A lot of the time it's right there on the screen and I still can't see it.

On 6/12/2018 at 8:07 AM, Jerry 5TJ said:

The photo reminds me of Ron Machado’s eternal question: “How do planes fly, anyway?   You look out at the wings but nothing seems to be happening.”  

Airplane wings do not have anything to do with its flying.  We picked up an exec in east tn that had dipped a wingtip and buggered the last 1/3 of the wing.  Cut off the damaged part and left enough rear spar and support for the aileron.  It flew hands off.  many times the wing hit a fence post or other and mid section was damaged.  duct tape and broom handle and again flew hands off.  Shop in ND was sealing the tank in mid winter.  they put a light bulb down in it in order to hurry the PRC.  Someone caught their foot on the cord and blew the bulb.  Actually blew the tank skin off into the floor.  It wouldn't fit inside the plane so pop riveted it back in place with a dozen rivets.  Flew straight.  SO I am convinced it must be she shape of the cabin top that makes it fly. What do you think

?