Grass strip poll

skydvrboy

Grass Strip Poll  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Have you landed your Mooney on a grass strip?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not yet, but I want to

Today's Aviation eBrief from AOPA contained this poll.  The results thus far were close to 87% saying yes.  I thought the results may be different for us Mooney owners, so I am repeating the poll, but specifically for Mooney aircraft.  Besides, who doesn't like a strip poll!

A good friend of mine has a 2000ft grass strip that is as smooth as any paved strip, he keeps it well manicured but my concern is with the 75ft transmission lines that run across the south end or the 75x150x25ft hangar on the north end (no problem in either his Cub or Super Cub). The funny thing is his driveway (for a lack of better words) runs along the west side of the strip and will beat the crap out of you no matter what speed your going :D

I have landed a few times in my E model on grass.  Always/only when winds were severe and grass was available, of good length and adequately maintained. (Cut and relatively smooth).  I have taken off from grass once.  Pavement was not available due to maintenance.  Non-event each time, but I prefer paved in a Mooney as first option.

I was based at NC52 for several years. Silvercreek was run by the Over-the-Hill-Gang who kept several CAF planes flying. 

I was flying N9349M 250 hours per year so I moved it to MRN for a few months in the winter. (An E has a hard time getting up on the step with even a few inches of water on the field.) 

7 hours ago, pdxphil said:

68 F is pretty grass friendly. Here's a picture at 6S9 (Stehekin) in WA state. 

Stehekin 6S9.JPG

Wow,

I would watch that strip from 10,500' or so on a way to Winthrop but never went down to have a look. Obviously it can be done and it looks quite well maintained.

Good job!

Found the picture. Will be back again next month. This was a fall picture, giving rides to the wife's family. 

1570860676_HollyRidge8.thumb.jpg.c998daada96dedfad734131db17ad269.jpg

On my desktop, zooming in shows the (electric) gear is halfway up.

P.S.--Heres the next picture, Vx climb transitioned to Vy above the trees. 

Holly Ridge 9.jpg

Edited by Hank
  • Like 2