Heat Shield

nfonville

I have an issue with the heat shielding on the air input duct on the right side.  The exhaust is really close.  I keep replacing the heat shielding cloth every oil change at 25 hours. It's looking pretty burned from heat. I'm using cloth rated to 2000 Fahrenheit.  I've looked very closely for exhaust leaks and no exhaust soot is there. Is this a common issue?

Cloth rated for 2k°F...?

The hottest part of the exhaust might exceed that or get kind of close...  the TIT is typically kept at 1650°F and that is further downstream than the exhaust headers all meeting...

Either way 2000°F doesn’t leave enough of a safety factor... the TIT is probably the hottest measured point in the exhaust, not the hottest part of the exhaust system...

PP thoughts only not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2018 at 4:52 AM, FoxMike said:

On the exhaust side of the intercooler duct you should have a thin piece of stainless riveted to the duct.  On your airplane a careless mechanic probably destroyed it.

FoxMike is correct - it is stainless and not aluminium as I wrote earlier

Lousy photo as I didn't want to disconnect hoses, so this it just easing the duct outwards to point the camera down the back - you can see it's not in the best of shape, and appears to be stuck on with RTV as well as a pop rivet or two

1944140029_Intercooler-heaterduct.thumb.jpg.67d7cbeb40ace5aaf715f23512b26934.jpg

Thanks for posting this photo. I see no evidence of there ever being a rivet installed on my intercooler ducting.  Wonder if this was done on later models?  Mine is a 1992.  Looks like it could easily be fabricated.  I'll look on the parts manual and see if there is a part number.

• 3 months later...