Screw Kits

5 hours ago, DualRatedFlyer said:

As someone who knows nothing about screws, but enjoys crawling under the oily belly to swap a stripped screw just as much as the next guy, is there a standard way to decipher these?

AN- aviation designation? 526? 832 is 8-32 thread size? R6/R8?

I.E- whats the difference between these two screws 

AN507-832-R6/R8 wing inspection panels

AN526-832R6/R8 wing inspection panels

The best reference is the reference catalog from https://www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com/store.asp .  Their website is not the best, but if you look for their printed reference catalog, it's absolutely fantastic.  It has charts of all the various fastener shapes and explains the meaning of all the designations, including pictures and diagrams.  On top of that, their prices for fasteners are quite good.  The catalog is $8, but it is well worth the cost.

One caution--their website actually closes on Sundays, presumably for religious reasons.  I've never seen a website that does that before...

8 minutes ago, jaylw314 said:

The best reference is the reference catalog from https://www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com/store.asp .  Their website is not the best, but if you look for their printed reference catalog, it's absolutely fantastic.  It has charts of all the various fastener shapes and explains the meaning of all the designations, including pictures and diagrams.  On top of that, their prices for fasteners are quite good.  The catalog is $8, but it is well worth the cost.

One caution--their website actually closes on Sundays, presumably for religious reasons.  I've never seen a website that does that before...

Are you able to access the website right now?  I am getting an error message.

4 minutes ago, DualRatedFlyer said:

Are you able to access the website right now?  I am getting an error message.

Ooops.  Try it without the store.asp suffix...  https://www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com

I can't give you a link to the reference book, but on the left, click on "Literature/Manuals" and then select "Reference Book" from the drop down menu...

Sorry, mistake.  select "PB6" from the drop down menu.  I told you the website is not the greatest...

1 hour ago, Andy95W said:

AN- Army-Navy.  Designation replaced by MILSPEC, which adds a whole new set of numbers.

832 is 8-32 thread size (actually, #8 diameter, 32 threads per inch)

R6/R8 etc. is length in 16ths, so R8 is 8/16 inch, or 1/2 inch long.

AN507/526 etc. is the type of screw like pan head, countersunk, etc.

The best place to see the different type of screws is just by looking through the Aircraft Spruce and Specialty catalog and do a search for the AN number.  Pictures and descriptions pop up nicely.

Never seen the specialty catalog.  This is incredibly helpful!

I was able to get the kit parts list to figure out what hardware and qtys are in the F kit.  Adding up the prices of the hardware individually comes out to $89 bucks, while the hardware kit comes to $94 (for the F model).  Dont think thats a bad deal to get a little hardware kit established in your hanger. 

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, DualRatedFlyer said:

I was able to get the kit parts list to figure out what hardware and qtys are in the F kit.  Adding up the prices of the hardware individually comes out to $89 bucks, while the hardware kit comes to $94 (for the F model).  Dont think thats a bad deal to get a little hardware kit established in your hanger. 

Indeed! Pretty much a drop in the AMU bucket and worth it to have it all in one box. Another bonus is that the F is just a stretched E, so there might be a few extra screws loose in there ;)

On 6/15/2018 at 9:57 PM, M20Doc said:

Mooney must have owned a screw factory in the day.

4R x3/8” gear doors, wing root fairings,

6R x1/2” tail close out strips,

8R x1/2” left and right exhaust ducts and early cowl sides,

10R x 1/2” some belly panels,

AN507-632R8 belly panel at nose wheel well

AN507-832-R6/R8 wing inspection panels

AN526-832R6/R8 wing inspection panels

AN507-1032R8 cowl nose bowls,

AN526-1032R8 belly panels, some cowl nose bowls,

Southco studs, rings and receptacles on avionics door, early

Camloc 2700 series studs rings and receptacles on avionics door later,

Camloc 2700 and 4000 series studs, grommets, rings and receptacles on cowls

That covers a bunch of the ones I’ve seen.

Clarence

What about tinnermans?  Are there a handful of sizes commonly used?  I have noticed when removing sections of my belly, some tinnerman nuts snap on perfectly and completely, others are too long and have been installed in a diagonal fashion to keep them in place (if that makes sense).  The are prone to movement when reinstalling the panels. 

4 hours ago, DualRatedFlyer said:

What about tinnermans?  Are there a handful of sizes commonly used?  I have noticed when removing sections of my belly, some tinnerman nuts snap on perfectly and completely, others are too long and have been installed in a diagonal fashion to keep them in place (if that makes sense).  The are prone to movement when reinstalling the panels. 

That's what the ice pick is for, lining everything up before putting the screw in!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DualRatedFlyer said:

What happens when your on screw number 476 on the belly panel and that sucker falls off. Now I gotta go back 20 screws to get access back in there. 

1. I have a one-piece belly, 52 screws. The belly panel is about 7 feet long.  
  2. Start them all before tightening any. I scatter ~6-7 screws around the belly panel to hold it, then start all of them. Then I push up in the middle, tighten a row all the way across, and work to one end then do the other end.

Another benefit is that you have room to fish around with the ice pick to find those bits that try to hide.

What style belly panel do you have? Please let us know so that no one else accidentally buys one like it!  ;)

• 3 years later...

Don't buy a screw "kit", buy the individual screws that you need from Aircraft Spruce.  Go to Harbor Freight or your favorite cheep tool supplier and buy some storage bins to keep them separated.  You will slowly build a collection of hardware that you will need and use.

John Breda

• Like 4

17 hours ago, M20F-1968 said:

Don't buy a screw "kit", buy the individual screws that you need from Aircraft Spruce.  Go to Harbor Freight or your favorite cheep tool supplier and buy some storage bins to keep them separated.  You will slowly build a collection of hardware that you will need and use.

John Breda

I find McMaster car has an excellent selection of stainless screws at good prices, including mil spec.