Screw Kits

Hello all,

It is time for me to invest in a 'screw kit' for my E and the choices out there are all over the map; e.g., Spruce offers a kit for M20E/G (up to 1976) for $69.85 while Brown has a 'Mooney M20/201/231 Universal Screw Kit' for $143.95. Others out on the web are all over the place.

Anybody invest in one of these sets for getting through the annual after R&R'ng all those panels, etc? Someday I will chance upon the hidden hole in my hangar floor that countless screws, washers, nutplates, etc. have rolled or bounced into, but until then I need a good fastener set.

Harley

I bought a SS kit from local FBO when they moved operation to other location. As I remember I've got it half price, so I might paid less then $50. That said, price at Spruce seems OK to me as I've seen prices all over the map.

I primarily installed the screws for inspection panels on wing that are getting removed at the annual; I've done that at the first annual after plane was painted. That way, next time I would just remove panels called out in Service Manual without looking at the book.

Belly panels on my 67F were attached with screws panted black but after years of removal, chipped paint and stripped screws, I am considering replacing them as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David Herman said:

Ya ... we did it in conjunction with an annual ...

We bought a kit, but that was the first year we had the airplane and I didn’t know much. I suspect if you looked at the kit composition, or your airplane ... you could buy the equivalent much cheaper ... 

Well, it's not so much the price as getting it all. The Brown kit has 1200+ parts in it, but unknown just what. Thinking about what drops and disappears (cotters, washers, nutplates, etc.), what gets eaten up (screw heads) or worn out (needing to go up a size). 

Hmm...

The Stainless Steel kits I've seen had only exterior fasteners that are attaching various inspection panels on the plane. It is intended to replace old corroded fasteners with SS ones that would always look good. No nut-plates, cotter pins, washers (except few conical used on cowl) and such.

After I got my Mooney, I have ordered some, universal fastener kit from A. Spruce so I could have various spares. That included  various AN bolts, screws, nuts and washers and such. Over the years, that got expanded with fasteners I'd need for a work done on my plane at the annual or interior upgrade and such. No mater what I have these days, I always find something  new we need at each annual.

• Like 1

I just removed and measured the common screws, and ordered 100 of each. On my C, there are only three with any quantity:  spinner, belly panel [with recessed washers, pricey but I forget the name of the washer], and wing / tail inspection panels. Then I ordered a few of the [very pricey!] nut plates in the wings. Who needs a kit, whose contents may or may not match your airplane?

While I was doing it, I ordered Teflon washers to put under the screws in the wing and tail panels, as I noticed the paint was gone under the heads and I didn't want to lose any aluminum. They are only a penny or two apiece.

• Like 2

When I did the PPI on my plane, half of the wing inspection screws (100-degree countersunk) were corroded. I ordered I think like 600 of them and replaced every single one, with anti-sieze on all the threads. Every subsequent time I've ever had to open the wing its super easy.

I need to get more cowling screws

5 minutes ago, Raptor05121 said:

When I did the PPI on my plane, half of the wing inspection screws (100-degree countersunk) were corroded. I ordered I think like 600 of them and replaced every single one, with anti-sieze on all the threads. Every subsequent time I've ever had to open the wing its super easy.

I need to get more cowling screws

While antisieze is good, it is a bit of overkill. I just hose down the screws with WD-40 before I put them in and they never stick.

The only legitimate use of WD-40 on a plane.

Edited by N201MKTurbo
  • Haha 1

Just now, N201MKTurbo said:

While antisieze is good, it is a bit of overkill. I just hose down the screws with WD-40 before I put them in and the never stick.

The only legitimate use of WD-40 on a plane.

Removing them was such a pain, I went for full overkill in the first place. Out of the ~550 I think I had maybe 20 stripped out. Took me HOURSSSS to get them out

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Raptor05121 said:

Removing them was such a pain, I went for full overkill in the first place. Out of the ~550 I think I had maybe 20 stripped out. Took me HOURSSSS to get them out

To remove stuck cover plate screws, get a drill that is slightly larger than the threads of the screw and drill straight into the head of the screw until the head falls off. After you get the cover off, grab the back of the screw by the threads with a pair of pliers and screw it out until you can grab the end of the screw where the head used to be and finishing screwing it out.

It takes less than 1 minute per stuck screw.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

To remove stuck cover plate screws, get a drill that is slightly larger than the threads of the screw and drill straight into the head of the screw until the head falls off. After you get the cover off, grab the back of the screw by the threads with a pair of pliers and screw it out until you can grab the end of the screw where the head used to be and finishing screwing it out.

Thats what I ended up doing. Learn by doing!

• Like 2

There is a screw removal kit that has 3 sizes of double ended bits. One end is a left handed bit, the other is a left handed screw that fits into the hole made by the bit end. Both function with the drill in reverse. My experience is that it is amazing. ( I know, a picture is worth a thousand words. Next trip to the hangar I will take one, unless someone beats me to it.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BDPetersen said:

There is a screw removal kit that has 3 sizes of double ended bits. One end is a left handed bit, the other is a left handed screw that fits into the hole made by the bit end. Both function with the drill in reverse. My experience is that it is amazing. ( I know, a picture is worth a thousand words. Next trip to the hangar I will take one, unless someone beats me to it.)

Is that the "GraBit?"

3 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Exactly what I did during my first annual. Then since Aircraft Spruce is a mile from my hangar I went and bought a few of the sizes I needed. Just like in real estate, it's all about location, location, location... :D

I bought the SS screw kit from Spruce when I bought my airplane.   It does have some washers and stuff in there, including dimpled washers, etc.   As others do, I just use them to replace screws that are too goobered up to reuse (which is not very goobered in my case, as I seriously dislike dealing with stripped or stuck screws).  It's been very handy.   I think the only screws that are missing are for the collar plates under the tail where the trim articulates, which seem to be an odd size.

I do the dremel tool removal.   dremel tool cut off wheel.   cut a slot using one of the Xs from the phillps and then use one of the big snap on flat blades.     Anit seize is messy and gets all over everything.  and then everything everywhere you go.  My dad loved the stuff.  I hate it.     I shoot the screws with triflow.   seems to work.

• Like 1

For Harley, the OP- why not just check which screws you actually need and order a full set yourself?  You'll save money and you won't get a bunch of hardware you don't need.  

When I was actively working in a shop as an A&P, we had owners come in with the SS screw kit they bought from AS&S, Wag aero, or Chief, and want us to put them in during their annuals.  I've never seen a SS screw kit that was completely accurate.  Sometimes they weren't even close.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Andy95W said:

For Harley, the OP- why not just check which screws you actually need and order a full set yourself?  You'll save money and you won't get a bunch of hardware you don't need.  

When I was actively working in a shop as an A&P, we had owners come in with the SS screw kit they bought from AS&S, Wag aero, or Chief, and want us to put them in during their annuals.  I've never seen a SS screw kit that was completely accurate.  Sometimes they weren't even close.

Well, ordering all the parts and then missing a few is the issue. Then you are back to ordering a one-off and paying $10 shipping for three screws. I am not seeking to replace all the screws, etc., in my E, I just want to "have one on hand" if one breaks, is corroded or needs drilled out.

I am not running a shop and I don't live close to Spruce.

The question was, which kit, based on personal experience, would give me a nice, complete set (a few of each, not a hardware replacement kit) so I can avoid one-off ordering. I am getting close to a decision, I just like to check with the hive on these sorts of things. Annual isn't until October if you want an idea of how far out I work.

Lastly, speaking of shops, I have found parts from other aircraft on my E. That bothers me. How do I know? Paint.

$143.00 will buy a lot of screws!

Perhaps someone here, or the community should put together a comprehensive hardware list with human readable descriptions along with which models use them. Then when someone wanted to buy some hardware they could just get it from the list instead of drilling through parts manuals. It would sure save me a lot of time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1